OT: 2023 Soccer and Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Nerwinski is the worst player I've ever seen on defense.
dumb.jpg

:sarcasm:

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Luckily to distract from the abysmal Caps season so far, today is the day that we may just (officially) qualify for a World f***ing Cup!!! I know we're almost set anyway, but I'm paranoid and need confirmation :laugh: Been such an incredible journey following this team, can't believe we're this close. A win, or a Panama loss/draw and it's official.

Reactions: Kreator

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
As angry I am with soccer Canada I won’t let those jerks make me bitter against this team. Let’s finish this!

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
First major global domino fell this afternoon.

Italy are out of the World Cup making it two campaigns in a row, 12 years without a WC fixture (by 2026). Beaten by by a 67th ranked North Macedonia .

Now Canada can make history tonight...making the World Cup. However the Italy result really shows that anything is possible against high ranked teams. Should be a fun November!

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
First major global domino fell this afternoon.

Italy are out of the World Cup making it two campaigns in a row, 12 years without a WC fixture (by 2026). Beaten by by a 67th ranked North Macedonia .

Now Canada can make history tonight...making the World Cup. However the Italy result really shows that anything is possible against high ranked teams. Should be a fun November!
giphy.gif

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Complete failure.

Red card f***ed the team.
Like literally a failure, yeah, but like how do you come out of that not feeling really good anyway? This game was always gonna be hard. Costa Rica is decent and they’re at home and need this game a billion times more than Canada. And Costa Rica still needed Canada to take their inevitable “concacaf-ing” screw job to squeak out a win. It’s all good. Losing Sunday would be disaster 100%.

Reactions: Red and xtra

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Hardly a failure, just wasn't our night. It happens in football. You couldn't have asked for more from a 10-man side. Complete domination but two posts - just was never going to go our way. On to Sunday.

Kaye is an idiot. He should have known better.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Hardly a failure, just wasn't our night. It happens in football. You couldn't have asked for more from a 10-man side. Complete domination but two posts - just was never going to go our way. On to Sunday.

Kaye is an idiot. He should have known better.

For sure. Costa Rica isn't some pushover team either. That's a squad that's beaten Mexico and the USA a few times the past few years. Tons of experience with a world class keeper back there

Reactions: Red

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That was dumb from Kaye to allow himself to get involved in anything but it remains incredible how this sort of comical play-acting gets rewarded by referees, especially in certain regions like ours.

Guy was beaking off Kaye and basically walks into him and falls down screaming and grabbing his face. VAR needs to step in there and give the yellow to the guy faking it on the ground.

Team could not possibly have played better with 10 men in the 2nd half and were unlucky not to get a result after hitting a couple posts.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Kaye should know better, but he doesn't seem capable of altering his play when he should. On the other hand Laryea kept his head and had a fantastic game.

Good debut for Kone. He should get more minutes on Sunday with Kaye out and Hutchinson possibly needing some rest.

Eustaquio was solid as he always is.

Hoilett is a great sub to have. Has the composure and talent to make something happen when we need a goal.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
The initial VAR check on Kaye where he got the yellow for the studs up challenge - I thought he should have gotten the red there. After that, he shoved someone out of bounds in a cheap foul too. Ref was going to look for any excuse after that to send him off and Kaye idiotically gave it to him
so even though it was the most ridiculous dive I've ever seen, Kaye had somewhat earned it with his very reckless play earlier.

You can never go a full qualification round without getting CONCACAF'd at some point.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Absolutely huge viewing figures. This game had 940k viewers even though it wasn't the US or Mexico which would be the big draws and it started at 10pm on the east coast.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
That ridiculous red-card is one of the reasons soccer lacks some serious credibility in the eyes of more than few people. At least hockey has a penalty for 'embellishment' , although it's rarely called.

Still, when a guy gets bumped into and then falls to the ground writhing around for the sole purpose of having another player ejected, because he already knows he's already received a yellow card, well that's just a crisis of credibility for the entire sport.

And hopefully FIFA calls some of these officials on the carpet for their decisions, but as we all know that never happens either.

Reactions: MS

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
That ridiculous red-card is one of the reasons soccer lacks some serious credibility in the eyes of more than few people. At least hockey has a penalty for 'embellishment' , although it's rarely called.

Still, when a guy gets bumped into and then falls to the ground writhing around for the sole purpose of having another player ejected, because he already knows he's already received a yellow card, well that's just a crisis of credibility for the entire sport.

And hopefully FIFA calls some of these officials on the carpet for their decisions, but as we all know that never happens either.
Really it's all over anyway though. We are in and that's all that matters. We have proven we can play with any team. So it's not going to matter which group we draw into. We will have an excellent chance of getting into the knockout stage.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
The initial VAR check on Kaye where he got the yellow for the studs up challenge - I thought he should have gotten the red there. After that, he shoved someone out of bounds in a cheap foul too. Ref was going to look for any excuse after that to send him off and Kaye idiotically gave it to him
so even though it was the most ridiculous dive I've ever seen, Kaye had somewhat earned it with his very reckless play earlier.

You can never go a full qualification round without getting CONCACAF'd at some point.

It's actually odd because the CONCACAF reffing has been fairly decent during this campaign. Officials have been letting a lot slide, to the point where an automatic red was reviewed and still deemed to be a yellow. Kaye only has himself to blame, and I have played and watched enough football to know that he was inevitably going to be sent off in that game.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Wow what a dominant half. Can't imagine Jamaica is enjoying the -4 with wind chill temps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad