Red Sox/MLB 2023 Regular Season- IX: Former Red Sox pitcher Tim Wakefield and his wife are both battling cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If you grew up a Sox fan in his time you saw Wake pitch live at Fenway at some point. I too saw him probably 40% of the time I went as a kid. I saw him give up a homer to Bonds. Was the last stadium Bonds needed to hit a homer in.

Truly a Red Sox icon. I remember a Wakefield commercial on NESN in my early childhood that was basically a poem about his knuckleball

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
The (alleged) Mindy McCready thing is holding me back from a complete rehabilitation of Clemens here, but otherwise he's been classy post-retirement and his issues with the organization were mostly just his vindictiveness toward Dan Duquette after Duquette tried to dismiss him as being in the twilight of his career after he let him walk in free agency and the fact that he pushed his way to the Yankees.
I can't blame Duquette for thinking this by the way. Clemens had an ERA of 4.18 and 3.63 his last two years here. He goes to Toronto and proceed to go 2.05 and 2.65. And we know why Roger was able to perform later in his career. That is not a secret.

Johnny Damon is the one I feel bad for, he never got a serious offer from the Red Sox, the only teams he was talking to that off-season were Detroit and the Yankees, and once Detroit decided to go with Granderson in center literally nobody other than the Yankees made a legit pitch for him. He got too much shit from the fans for ending up there.
The thing with Damon is it happened when this was actually still a fierce rivalry. Fans don't care about him going to the Yankees anymore but at the time it was raw and it hurt. Plus Damon did kinda step in it by saying he would never go to the Yankees. That didn't help his cause.

Reactions: BMC

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 7.56.59 PM.png

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
I hope and wish all the best for Tim Wakefield. A very classy guy. He probably was my initial favorite pitcher when I started following the Red Sox back then. Not because I thought he was the best or electric as Pedro, but he went out and made the other hitters look extraordinarily bad and especially fooled some of his own catchers. I will never forget the extra inning in the ALCS from him where Varitek caught him and had like 3 passed balls.

Get well soon, Tim.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Met Wake many times at a country club I used to work at, he was a very nice guy to me and all the the staff, which was pretty rare with that crowd. Wish him and his wife the best.
I might’ve done the wastewater operations at that country club about 8-9 years ago, Pretty sure i saw Wake zippin around on the cart once. I know he lived in that neighborhood. Was definitely at some country club that I’d only cover if people were out from work. I think Belichick lives(d) there too.

That was a crappy job (literally).

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
He's part of the MLB Umpire's Association. MLB can't get rid of him, no matter how bad he is.
Not sure i understand this. How is there no room for getting rid of someone based on job performance? If he wants to ump until he's 80 there's nothing they can do? Can the umpires association dump him? I would think they are all sick of him too.

Reactions: sarge88

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I might’ve done the wastewater operations at that country club about 8-9 years ago, Pretty sure i saw Wake zippin around on the cart once. I know he lived in that neighborhood. Was definitely at some country club that I’d only cover if people were out from work. I think Belichick lives(d) there too.

That was a crappy job (literally).
Haha yep Wake, Bill, and Varitek all lived there. I only saw Bill play about 3 times in 5 years there, was in Nantucket most of the time. Wake was very active at the club tho, really friendly with the staff and with the other members. Played in club tournaments and everything, not typical for celebrity members

CJV123

Feb 4, 2010
I just saw this on another site and share it here I wonder it the red thing on his sock was ketchup instead of blood. So funny to me. LOL
It was iodine, and obvious at the time but the media had a narrative to hew to.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I would like to see the thread focus more on well wishes for the Wakefield's and prey they beat this rather than waste time talking about Schilling.

Its been well established years ago what a lune this guy is, why are we surprised

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Not sure i understand this. How is there no room for getting rid of someone based on job performance? If he wants to ump until he's 80 there's nothing they can do? Can the umpires association dump him? I would think they are all sick of him too.
The CBA between MLB and the MLBUA is structured such that MLB can't fire an umpire for making subjective calls. He could be fired for gross misconduct or for misapplying rules. All poor performance does is make sure that he won't get post-season assignments.

Could the Umpires Association dump him? I guess. Will they? Not a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad