Red Sox/MLB 2023 Regular Season III

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Casas now up to .210 BA -- .333 OBP -- .379 SLG%

Since May 1st, he's batting .256, .362 OBP, .427 SLG%.

League average is .248, .302, .409

23 years old, still learning the game. Power should come as he continues to get acclimated to MLB pitching. Showing progression though.

Thanks Dombrowski and scouts.
I wouldn’t mind him in the 2 hole if he develops all the way into his full potential. On one hand you want him in the middle to knock in runs but on the other hand he walks so damn much that it’s tempting to put him in front of Devers. I guess they could do the 3 hole but then you have back to back lefties

I’m probably about 2 years ahead of myself tho

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
5 of 6 from the Yankees to begin the year ain’t too shabby

I looked at the Worcester box score- they beat the orioles farm team but then I saw the orioles AAA lineup and forgot they’ll be adding Kjerstad and Cowser to the big league OF over the next year. That f***in sucks

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Considering we've owned both the Blue Jays and Yankees so far, you'd think we'd at least have a good shot at 3rd place. But the inconsistency all season is killing them.

Reactions: CDJ

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Apparently things are not good between Bloom and Cora. :dunno:

from today's fansided.com:

Boston Red Sox fans are undoubtedly not strangers to being frustrated with both Chief Baseball Office Chaim Bloom and manager Alex Cora. And apparently, the two members of the organization are also growing increasingly frustrated with one another too. As such, the end result might mean one or both figures not being in Boston beyond the 2023 season.

Per USA Today MLB insider Bob Nightengale, the pairing of Cora and Bloom is “on the rocks” according to anonymous MLB executives. More pressingly, the belief is that it’s “difficult to imagine that both will be returning in their same roles in 2024.”

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic also recently spoke with Red Sox insider Chris Cotillo for Mass Live and noted that it was possible that Bloom could be out in Boston at some point. He notably mentioned the possibility of the move happening before the early August MLB Trade Deadline as the organization may not want him to be at the helm for another round of possible trades.

Bloom has been under plenty of scrutiny since joining the Red Sox front office, whether it’s been a reluctance to address the team’s pitching woes in a meaningful capacity, paying Trevor Story only to let Xander Bogaerts walk without worthwhile (or early enough) extension talks taking place, or a number of other head-scratching decisions.

You can also imagine how that would negatively affect Cora as the day-to-day manager, who would have to be frustrated if the roster isn’t in the place he believes it should be. After all, Cora is a World Series winner at the helm of the club, so it stands to reason why the rest of the front office and ownership would have faith in him.

Whatever they are, though, it does appear that changes are coming to the Red Sox organizational structure in the near future.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Apparently things are not good between Bloom and Cora. :dunno:

from today's fansided.com:

Boston Red Sox fans are undoubtedly not strangers to being frustrated with both Chief Baseball Office Chaim Bloom and manager Alex Cora. And apparently, the two members of the organization are also growing increasingly frustrated with one another too. As such, the end result might mean one or both figures not being in Boston beyond the 2023 season.

Per USA Today MLB insider Bob Nightengale, the pairing of Cora and Bloom is “on the rocks” according to anonymous MLB executives. More pressingly, the belief is that it’s “difficult to imagine that both will be returning in their same roles in 2024.”

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic also recently spoke with Red Sox insider Chris Cotillo for Mass Live and noted that it was possible that Bloom could be out in Boston at some point. He notably mentioned the possibility of the move happening before the early August MLB Trade Deadline as the organization may not want him to be at the helm for another round of possible trades.

Bloom has been under plenty of scrutiny since joining the Red Sox front office, whether it’s been a reluctance to address the team’s pitching woes in a meaningful capacity, paying Trevor Story only to let Xander Bogaerts walk without worthwhile (or early enough) extension talks taking place, or a number of other head-scratching decisions.

You can also imagine how that would negatively affect Cora as the day-to-day manager, who would have to be frustrated if the roster isn’t in the place he believes it should be. After all, Cora is a World Series winner at the helm of the club, so it stands to reason why the rest of the front office and ownership would have faith in him.

Whatever they are, though, it does appear that changes are coming to the Red Sox organizational structure in the near future.
I saw the article, but did not read it. All I can say is Bloom must go.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Don’t want to jinx it but it really does feel like Bello is going to be a legit #1 or #2 in the rotation.

1.44 ERA against the Yankees in his young career. Nice touch by the MLB letting the Yankees visit their new father on Father’s Day.

Now go fill out the damn rotation chaim

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Don’t want to jinx it but it really does feel like Bello is going to be a legit #1 or #2 in the rotation.

1.44 ERA against the Yankees in his young career. Nice touch by the MLB letting the Yankees visit their new father on Father’s Day.

Now go fill out the damn rotation chaim

They’re obviously not filling out the rest of the rotation this season. The off-season is the time to do it, this offseason especially.

He’s starting to get a good idea how it could look though:

#1 = ????
Bello
Whitlock
Houck
#5 = ????

#1 options = Ohtani (29), Nola (30), Giolito (29), Yamamoto (25)

#5 a little easier. Could just use Crawford. Bring back Paxton. Does Sale assume that role? rotation will need some type of lefty.

Until Sale is off the books, etc. he always has to be factored in somewhere.

Reactions: UncleRico and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If Paxton remains healthy and the Sox want to sell then he is going to get a damn good return

I also wouldn’t mind extending him for another year. The way he’s been pitching he could be the #1

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
They’re obviously not filling out the rest of the rotation this season. The off-season is the time to do it, this season especially.

He’s starting to get a good idea how it could look though:

#1 = ????
Bello
Whitlock
Houck
#5 = ????

#1 options = Ohtani (29), Nola (30), Giolito (29), Yamamoto (25)

#5 a little easier. Could just use Crawford. Bring back Paxton. Does Sale assume that role? rotation will need some type of lefty.

Until Sale is off the books, etc. he always has to be factored in somewhere.

Ya definitely unrealistic to fill out the rotation this year, but I do like that rotation right there especially if they can find a #1 or even a higher end #2 to push everyone down a peg from where they are right now.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
If Paxton remains healthy and the Sox want to sell then he is going to get a damn good return

I also wouldn’t mind extending him for another year

If they sell, Paxton has to be moved for something. Like you said, he could land them something pretty good.

Then come the off-season, I’d circle back and see if he wants to return. Rent him out for a few months.

It really sucks how much the Sale contract handcuffs them. That’s a lot of money that could be better used to upgrade the team.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If they sell, Paxton has to be moved for something. Like you said, he could land them something pretty good.

Then come the off-season, I’d circle back and see if he wants to return. Rent him out for a few months.

It really sucks how much the Sale contract handcuffs them. That’s a lot of money that could be better used to upgrade the team.
Almost mercifully to the end of it

He seems like the kind of guy that would re-sign here for peanuts after the deal expires too- he’d look a lot better on an incentive-laden deal!

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Almost mercifully to the end of it

He seems like the kind of guy that would re-sign here for peanuts after the deal expires too- he’d look a lot better on an incentive-laden deal!

Think that podcast — Bastards of Boston Baseball — recommended moving Paxton and possibly re-signing him in the off-season.

Don’t usually agree with them cuz I find some of them wicked negative but felt that was a good take.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I wouldn’t mind him in the 2 hole if he develops all the way into his full potential. On one hand you want him in the middle to knock in runs but on the other hand he walks so damn much that it’s tempting to put him in front of Devers. I guess they could do the 3 hole but then you have back to back lefties

I’m probably about 2 years ahead of myself tho

I was thinking they should be batting him 9th.

• Haha

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
One homer and 6 RBI's, hitting .260. Wow!
The one homerun is what stands out. People are trying way too hard to defend all things Casas. He's doing ok and has pulled himself up a bit but pump the brakes. For position players he is tied with Kike for the worst WAR on the team and his power has been underwhelming. I don't know why people feel the need to keep bringing up arbitrary dates to provide his numbers. Nobody is blaming him for the team being mediocre. They are just providing an honest and accurate assessment that he has been a bit underwhelming. That doesn't mean he's a bust or that there's no hope.

Considering we've owned both the Blue Jays and Yankees so far, you'd think we'd at least have a good shot at 3rd place. But the inconsistency all season is killing them.
Well, mediocre teams are inconsistent. Or consistent in that they will win a series, drop a series, repeat. I see no reason yet to think the Red Sox can escape that trend.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The one homerun is what stands out. People are trying way too hard to defend all things Casas. He's doing ok and has pulled himself up a bit but pump the brakes. For position players he is tied with Kike for the worst WAR on the team and his power has been underwhelming. I don't know why people feel the need to keep bringing up arbitrary dates to provide his numbers. Nobody is blaming him for the team being mediocre. They are just providing an honest and accurate assessment that he has been a bit underwhelming. That doesn't mean he's a bust or that there's no hope.

Well, mediocre teams are inconsistent. Or consistent in that they will win a series, drop a series, repeat. I see no reason yet to think the Red Sox can escape that trend.

So that he doesn't look like a stiff.

Reactions: Johnnyduke
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad