GDT: 2023 Prospects Challenge, Sept. 15th-18th - LECOM Harborcenter, Buffalo, NY

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
For now Filmon isn't on the level of Gritsyuk and is far away from it. And its not like Gritsyuk is absolutely 2 way responsible Nhl player.
Lack of centers is a concern in injury situations like I said. Even if we slide Mercer to the middle, there is a thin depth behind. I understand that Fitz will find someone on the market or through the trades like he always did, but im talking about finding potential breakout prospect for longing contending window. I have no real/big worries about next three or four years. I'm talking about drafting, not about roster.
In the system centers are a problem but I don't really see it with the big club?

Nosek and Lazar can both fill in as bottom 6 centers. Mercer can play anywhere. Haula can effectively move up and down the lineup. I think with those guys we have a pretty good succession plan should anything go wrong.

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
There is a lack of drivers in the pool with almost all of our good forward prospects being primarily shooters. On the other hand we have 4 elite drivers and maybe Mercer could turn out to be a good one. If in a few years the 3rd line is say Filmon/Gritsyuk-insert 3C-Lenni I think that’s likely pretty good. At worst it needs some help and with the elite talent we have we could easily slide a guy down to help out down the lineup. Boston last year is an example of that. They had the luxury of being able to slide a guy like Hall down to drive a top 3rd line.

The lack of centers is a thing but I do think it’s more if an annoyance than some huge problem. We have an elite 1-2 punch, a solid 3C, and a top 6 wing that can shift to the middle. That’s our situation for at least 3 years. That’s about as good as you could be set up. They do need to pick more centers and actual good ones rather than the Pytlik and Salminen shit but it’s not a real problem for us currently or in the next few years.

Haula’s not exactly perfect but his price is right. That might not happen again on the trade or UFA market.

The number of teams that need centers is usually most of the NHL.

3Cs are difficult to find and you can end up handing out unfortunate contracts trying to fill out that position. Either you’re overpaying a 3C or you’re pushing an overpaid 4C into that spot.

You’re right that it would help if we picked better ones. The focus was on scoring and physical tools, and less on their puck-handling/passing/pace/hockey sense.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
In the system centers are a problem but I don't really see it with the big club?

Nosek and Lazar can both fill in as bottom 6 centers. Mercer can play anywhere. Haula can effectively move up and down the lineup. I think with those guys we have a pretty good succession plan should anything go wrong.
You draft according to your prospect pool, not your club because it takes years for these players to make it, particularly later picks.

We need to draft a post-Haula 3C in the next draft to realistically have a replacement when his deal is up.

We traded for Lazar, and courted Nosek and got him. That doesn’t always work and they’re short term 4C depth.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

I found it strange, but you, guys, have some real problem with catching the root of the idea and sometimes listen or read only specific parts.

I'm talking about drafting, not about roster.
That was the part of the message you quoted.

Yes, we have players for this season. And for the next three or four we shouldnt have any real worry. Only injuries may be. At least if players will make steps forward. If they will not, THAN free agent market\trades\drafting. And from what we have here and now, our prospects will not help with adding more real big talent. Lenny and\or Arseniy will fill spots in second and\or third line, Filmon is a third line player\middle six forward if everything will going well.

This is a prospects game challenge topic. Our prospects game roster isnt full of tomorrow nhlers.

Its a talk about how Devils drafted forwards in 2-7 rounds in the last 4 years and what we are having in the depth now. And what kind of material we will try to invite in the roster in the next three four five years.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You draft according to your prospect pool, not your club because it takes years for these players to make it, particularly later picks.

We need to draft a post-Haula 3C in the next draft to realistically have a replacement when his deal is up.

We traded for Lazar, and courted Nosek and got him. That doesn’t always work and they’re short term 4C depth.
I wasn't addressing drafting or the prospect pool in my comments...I am saying I don't see any immediate needs for the NHL team as far centers go.

For the bottom two centers any of Lazar, Nosek, McLeod, Haula or Mercer can play there or fill in if need be.

For the top two centers any of Hughes, Nico, Haula or Mercer can play there or fill in if need be.

Not talking about the future, not talking about the system, not talking about drafting.... talking about the 2023-24 season.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I wasn't addressing drafting or the prospect pool in my comments...I am saying I don't see any immediate needs for the NHL team as far centers go.

For the bottom two centers any of Lazar, Nosek, McLeod, Haula or Mercer can play there or fill in if need be.

For the top two centers any of Hughes, Nico, Haula or Mercer can play there or fill in if need be.

Not talking about the future, not talking about the system, not talking about drafting.... talking about the 2023-24 season.

what about "talkin' 'bout practice man"?

Reactions: JimEIV

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
This is what happens when all your top guys graduate or currently play in adult leagues and the big club is moving up the standings.

Not really concerned.

You still need to draft well and keep the prospect pool flowing. Too early to tell now either way though.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Vilen seemed fine at least in the 2nd game. But yes.
3 of those guys are D-men. The lone forward mentioned was Filmon, who will be back in Jrs.

The statement being referred to was "the rest are trash".

Also saw a lot of posts stating "there are no centers and no forwards with any "scoring touch".

Utica's #1 point leader last season, Graeme Clarke, was there and made no impression other than those saying maybe they need to think again as to his making the Devils (a point which I am on record as having said that would be unlikely).

Besides Clarke, others who played SOME in Utica last season, but mostly in ECHL Adirondack, are "5-ft nothing" Xavier Parent, Filip Engaras,, and Timur Ibragimov. Parent is the best of the bunch. The new editions signed over the summer are no more impressive than what the Comets had last season and a couple others are probably worse.

I'm here to say don't expect my "negativism" on the the Comets performance to change anytime soon. I'll still be there every game and hoping for the coaching staff to get their heads out from between their lower cheeks and try to coach to the talent level they have instead of trying to get them to play a NJ style of hockey without any players capable of doing such.
Speed is the first and #1 missing NJ asset that this group simply doesn't possess.

I'll hold back on the D for now. Most are newcomers, but the D-corps, on paper, should be the team's strong suit.

Kallgren better be something special between the pipes because with Schmid in NJ and Dawes out for at least the 1st half of the season, Poulter and Brennan are who comes next. You just got a good look at each of them and the verdict is nothing to write home about. The 2023-2024 Comets will need very good goaltending, excellent team defense, which they have not had in either of their seasons here, and timely scoring from forwards not known for their goal scoring.

I would love to have to eat crow. I have a small group who feed in the woods behind my house on a daily basis, so crow is available. I made the same promise last season and my crow population has increased.

New Jersey was treated well by the hockey gods last season in terms of injury. If they face a serious injury crunch this season, as many NHL teams do every season. There won't be a lot of help down here after Nemec. He might not be down here anyways, but I think he will start here. One never knows until the NHL rosters are final and we all hope the preseason play won't cost anyone before the real season even gets started.

Last edited:

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
The first 2 games were disappointing aside from Nemec really. It was nice to see Filmon and Clarke score but they weren't too great both games , Filmon was turning alot of pucks over in game 2. I was also pretty disappointed with Vilen. All of our better ranked prospects didn't really stand out in a good way aside from Nemec who seemed to be super noticeable , especially in the offensive zone. Cam Squires also stood out to in game 2 to me. He has some good wheels and put them on display a few times where he stuck out.

The team would have benefited pretty big if Luke was there. Our lineup would be much much better if guys like Casey , Gritsyuk and Hameenaho happened to be in it. Buffalo looked very impressive but they also had a bunch of high draft picks playing in their lineup. They are going to be a problem for the rest of the league as early as this season.

Let's hope we can end it with a win against the Bruins. This tournament might make us sour a bit on some players heading into camp but the only 2 players on that ice potentially making the team out of camp are Nemec and Clarke.

Reactions: My3Sons

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
The first 2 games were disappointing aside from Nemec really. It was nice to see Filmon and Clarke score but they weren't too great both games , Filmon was turning alot of pucks over in game 2. I was also pretty disappointed with Vilen. All of our better ranked prospects didn't really stand out in a good way aside from Nemec who seemed to be super noticeable , especially in the offensive zone. Cam Squires also stood out to in game 2 to me. He has some good wheels and put them on display a few times where he stuck out.

The team would have benefited pretty big if Luke was there. Our lineup would be much much better if guys like Casey , Gritsyuk and Hameenaho happened to be in it. Buffalo looked very impressive but they also had a bunch of high draft picks playing in their lineup. They are going to be a problem for the rest of the league as early as this season.

Let's hope we can end it with a win against the Bruins. This tournament might make us sour a bit on some players heading into camp but the only 2 players on that ice potentially making the team out of camp are Nemec and Clarke.

I just couldn’t really care less about how the vast majority of the roster looked and even some of the guys who do matter it doesn’t matter much since they’re still years away and even if they do make it project as bottom of the lineup guys so I wouldn’t expect that much from them here. Clarke’s the big disappointment because you’d hope he would be able to look great against this competition level if he’s going to push for a spot or be good enough to make an impact as a call up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad