Patriots/NFL 2023 Pre-Season - DA drops gun charges against Patriots CB Jack Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Idk I blame both. BB has to bring talent in and if Kraft is going to be making public announcements that the team isn’t cheap he should be putting his foot down making sure people get signed.

2nd lowest spending team in the last four years combined. If it’s Belichick then he should be fired, but ultimately BB doesn’t sign the checks.
Kraft typically does not meddle, aside from the Brady Garrapolo thing a few years back, and usually gives Bill a budget that he needs to follow. Kraft is on record as saying he allows Bill to spend money freely as he sees fit, so it's really on Bill as the GM for this debacle.

Meh, bit strong. The issue is how mediocre they've been.
Which is sports is the kiss of death. You either want to be at the top or the very bottom. If you're in the middle, you never really improve.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Kraft typically does not meddle, aside from the Brady Garrapolo thing a few years back, and usually gives Bill a budget that he needs to follow. Kraft is on record as saying he allows Bill to spend money freely as he sees fit, so it's really on Bill as the GM for this debacle.

One could argue that the budgets being put forward by Kraft are really sparse given the amount of holes they need to fill with talent on this roster.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
One could argue that the budgets being put forward by Kraft are really sparse given the amount of holes they need to fill with talent on this roster.
Eh, I don't think so. He let Bill go nutty on a spending spree a few years back. It's not on Kraft that Bill decided to overpay shitty players instead of good ones and left dead money for Brady because of how he exited. But the fact that they're 17 mill UNDER the cap is not on Kraft. That's on Bill as the GM. There is no way an owner of a premier franchise like NE tells the GM to be nearly 20 mill below a soft cap.

Reactions: EvilDead

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Eh, I don't think so. He let Bill go nutty on a spending spree a few years back. It's not on Kraft that Bill decided to overpay shitty players instead of good ones and left dead money for Brady because of how he exited. But the fact that they're 17 mill UNDER the cap is not on Kraft. That's on Bill as the GM. There is no way an owner of a premier franchise like NE tells the GM to be nearly 20 mill below a soft cap.

That's a fair criticism. At the same time, Bill is in lockstep with how Kraft thinks where one in Robert doesn't want to spend a lot of money and Bill doesn't want to spend at premium positions and would rather overpay special teams roster fodder. Like the Patriots should be in on the likes of Marcus Peters, Taylor Lewan, Yannick NGakoue, Myles Jack, Jarvis Landry, and so on. But they won't be. They are instead going to pay Dalvin Cook or maybe even Ezekiel Elliott (which I would be surprised if they did) a middling contract because the value on Running Back contracts are through the floor after Todd Gurley got a career ending knee injury and tanked the running back market. Meanwhile Mac is going to get killed behind center.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Which is sports is the kiss of death. You either want to be at the top or the very bottom. If you're in the middle, you never really improve.

Well at bare minimum Kraft is being a bad owner the last 4 years. If BB has control over spending he should be demanding they actually spend. Four years cumulatively they are 31st in spending.

To me it seems he is alright being a low spending team if it means they slot into a 13-17 seed every year and maybe get a playoff birth.

He can do all the talking to the media saying he’s willing to spend, but until the team does it’s nothing but media fodder.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
That's a fair criticism. At the same time, Bill is in lockstep with how Kraft thinks where one in Robert doesn't want to spend a lot of money and Bill doesn't want to spend at premium positions and would rather overpay special teams roster fodder. Like the Patriots should be in on the likes of Marcus Peters, Taylor Lewan, Yannick NGakoue, Myles Jack, Jarvis Landry, and so on. But they won't be. They are instead going to pay Dalvin Cook or maybe even Ezekiel Elliott (which I would be surprised if they did) a middling contract because the value on Running Back contracts are through the floor after Todd Gurley got a career ending knee injury and tanked the running back market. Meanwhile Mac is going to get killed behind center.
I honestly doubt they do anything with any of the players you mentioned. Hopkins would have been a big upgrade over all of their current middling WRs and they clearly didn't even have interest based on their non-competitive offer. It's shameful how devoid this roster is of game breaking skill players. There's literally nobody on the offensive side that is anything other than meh.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Well at bare minimum Kraft is being a bad owner the last 4 years. If BB has control over spending he should be demanding they actually spend. Four years cumulatively they are 31st in spending.

To me it seems he is alright being a low spending team if it means they slot into a 13-17 seed every year and maybe get a playoff birth.

He can do all the talking to the media saying he’s willing to spend, but until the team does it’s nothing but media fodder.

its almost like they completely gave up being a pro football team compared to the once feared and winning model team they used to be. Id take 20 spygates over this apathetic vision the Pats now have.

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
I honestly doubt they do anything with any of the players you mentioned. Hopkins would have been a big upgrade over all of their current middling WRs and they clearly didn't even have interest based on their non-competitive offer. It's shameful how devoid this roster is of game breaking skill players. There's literally nobody on the offensive side that is anything other than meh.
Would argue that Stevenson is a game-breaker, or at least has the potential to be that. But if your best offensive player in 2023 is a RB you're in trouble. Compare Mac's weapons to Tua's- almost like he's playing a different sport.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

The reason why I think they would go to get Cook is that he's a versatile back that can pass catch, which Bill loves, and it puts less demand on Stevenson. I also think that there's enough out there on the market where Bill won't stand still forever. He will be prodded by Bob to do something. Whether it's an aged Robert Quinn, Akiem Hicks, Troy Hill, and so on, I do think Bill is waiting to go bargain bin hunting for some players.

Last edited:

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
its almost like they completely gave up being a pro football team compared to the once feared and winning model team they used to be. Id take 20 spygates over this apathetic vision the Pats now have.
They no longer have Tom Brady. It’s that simple. They should’ve used the contract discounts Brady gifted them over the years and surrounded him with more offensive talent, perhaps the Patriots would be 10x SB champs if so. Now they are a middle of the road football team with a good coach/ below average GM.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
The reason why I think they would go to get Cook is that he's a versatile back that can pass catch, which Bill loves, and it puts less demand on Stevenson. I also think that there's enough out there on the market where Bill won't stand still forever. He will be prodded by Bob to do something. Whether it's an aged Robert Quinn, Akiem Hicks, Troy Hill, and so on, I do think Bill is waiting to go bargain bin hunting for some players.

Plus, lets be honest the offense doesnt really have any home run hitters outside of Juju. Dalvin Cook is a home run hitter

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
They no longer have Tom Brady. It’s that simple. They should’ve used the contract discounts Brady gifted them over the years and surrounded him with more offensive talent, perhaps the Patriots would be 10x SB champs if so. Now they are a middle of the road football team with a good coach/ below average GM.

I know its Brady and hes so great he went to a new team and turned them into an instant winner and installed a Patriot like culture. Just shocking how Bill who has full control over everything destroyed the team so quickly. That will stick to his legacy more than anything else

Last edited:

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I know it’s Brady and hes so great he went to a new team and turned them into an instant winner and intalled a Patriot like culture. Just shocking how Bill who has full control over everything destroyed the team so quickly. That will stick to his legacy more than anything else
What do you think Belichick’s win/ loss record would look like for the past 20 years without Brady? He would’ve fumbled & failed a long time ago and would most likely be on his 6th/ 7th team by now if not for Brady. I didn’t expect much success here once Brady left. Bill is a good coach. I do give Bill some credit for the patriots early success. He had a stacked defense and made Brady’s transition easier. Make the safe play, dink and dunk, let the D and special teams win the game. But it was clear a few years in Brady evolved and carried the team until the day he left.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
He didn't destroy the team. I wish he destroyed the team. Instead they're caught in the cycle of mediocrity that's nearly impossible to get out of in this league.
Why do fans of Boston Franchises bemoan the mediocrity carousel?

What were the Patriots prior to 2001?

How about the Celtics before Garnett and Allen?

A long string of sub-90 win Red Sox teams?

Our Bruins?

I'd rather wait on luck than expect luck to rise from garbage.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
What do you think Belichick’s win/ loss record would look like for the past 20 years without Brady? He would’ve fumbled & failed a long time ago and would most likely be on his 6th/ 7th team by now if not for Brady. I didn’t expect much success here once Brady left. Bill is a good coach. I do give Bill some credit for the patriots early success. He had a stacked defense and made Brady’s transition easier. Make the safe play, dink and dunk, let the D and special teams win the game. But it was clear a few years in Brady evolved and carried the team until the day he left.
He inherited the core of that defense from Parcells and Caroll.

Would argue that Stevenson is a game-breaker, or at least has the potential to be that. But if your best offensive player in 2023 is a RB you're in trouble. Compare Mac's weapons to Tua's- almost like he's playing a different sport.
Maybe, but there were 15 RBs that ran for a thousand yards last year and RS was 12th overall. If you look at rushing TDs he's way down on the list. I'd say he's good but not great and not a true gamebreaker. But like you said, if the best offensive player you have is a running back, you're doing something wrong.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I am worried about our tackles this year. Doesn't matter who is at QB and WR, if we cannot protect the QB and run the ball, we are going nowhere. With Trent Brown ( who is never in shape) and a 34 YO Riley Reiff starting, we will have problems. We have the 11th largest cap space in the league, spend some money.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
He inherited the core of that defense from Parcells and Caroll.
Maybe, but there were 15 RBs that ran for a thousand yards last year and RS was 12th overall. If you look at rushing TDs he's way down on the list. I'd say he's good but not great and not a true gamebreaker. But like you said, if the best offensive player you have is a running back, you're doing something wrong.
Correct, hence my “some credit”. He inherited quite the core. But he managed it well, and he simplified things for Brady. I say 50/50 credit on those first two Super Bowls. After #2 it was all Brady despite Bills miscues as GM. And as you mention, even those first two were due to the stacked D he walked into

Last edited:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Correct, hence my “some credit”. He inherited quite the core. But he managed it well, and he simplified things for Brady. I say 50/50 credit on those first two Super Bowls. After #2 it was all Brady despite Bills miscues as GM. And as you mention, even those first two were due to the stacked D he walked into

Bill was also 5-13 with that core before the Jets player started a dynasty

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
see
He didn't destroy the team. I wish he destroyed the team. Instead they're caught in the cycle of mediocrity that's nearly impossible to get out of in this league.
from an outsider?

This seems right to me. Team doesn't have a quarterback. And I don't mean that to come across as... Listen, there's just a ceiling to Mac Jones. Mid. And until you can get better than mid, then (IMO) you should be angling yourself toward finding THAT guy in the draft.

Don't wallow in mediocrity. It's not worth it to spend big money on receivers until you have someone to get them the ball. It's not Belichick's reluctance to go all in that I would be remiss about. It would be his hesitancy to bottom out.

I don't mean to lecture on how to be a Patriots fan. You guys have a very unique perspective that comes from a very unique period of unprecedented success. That's not what this post is about.

I'm just surprised that more here don't share McGarnagle's point of view is all.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
see

from an outsider?

This seems right to me. Team doesn't have a quarterback. And I don't mean that to come across as... Listen, there's just a ceiling to Mac Jones. Mid. And until you can get better than mid, then (IMO) you should be angling yourself toward finding THAT guy in the draft.

Don't wallow in mediocrity. It's not worth it to spend big money on receivers until you have someone to get them the ball. It's not Belichick's reluctance to go all in that I would be remiss about. It would be his hesitancy to bottom out.

I don't mean to lecture on how to be a Patriots fan. You guys have a very unique perspective that comes from a very unique period of unprecedented success. That's not what this post is about.

I'm just surprised that more here don't share McGarnagle's point of view is all.

I think a decent number of us were promoting tanking a few years ago, but it will just never happen with Belichick. We're probably stuck in this position until he breaks the wins record because he's going to coach until he does and I think Kraft hates the thought of him breaking it with someone else.

The smartest thing Belichick could do would be go take over the Chargers when Staley inevitably gets fired, and both organizations would likely be better off.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Fournette at Foxboro today

Give me Cook but I’ll take LF - don’t hate it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad