Golf: 2023 PGA Championship - Big 2 Edition

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
It's major week again. This time we're taking our talents to Oak Hill, near Rochester, NY, for the 105th playing of the PGA Championship. This course hosted the tournament all the way back in 2013, when Jason 'Duf Daddy' Dufner outdueled Jim Furyk to take the title. Those with good enough memories, like myself, still wake up in a cold sweat some nights thinking about how Dufner put up a generationally-dreadful performance that week on putts within 2 feet of the hole, yet still managed to claim victory.

Tee Times

Unlike at Augusta, there is no longer a three-headed monster at the top of the board. Rory McIlroy has had an uneventful April and May, to say the least, and now Scottie Scheffler and Jon Rahm reign supreme amongst oddsmakers. Data Golf has them as the clear best players in the world right now, with Xander Schauffele, Pat Cantlay, and Big Tony Finau rounding out their top 5.

No Tiger this week - he's recovering from his ankle surgery. Will Phil the Thrill show out for the second straight major in his place? Will the LIV boys improve upon their impressive showing at the Masters? Is Jordan Spieth's wrist injured enough to derail his attempt at the career grand slam? All these questions and more will be solved come Sunday night.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Lol the f***…guys are setting up with Trackman and getting numbers out of the rough...never seen that.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Agree with Tony, might put some money on him.

It's his time, great player. And likeable, humble and keeps his mouth shut on the PGA/LIV thing, and isn't a partisan or shill pushing something like almost everyone else.

Let him get a major.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Got tickets for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

cant-wait-football.gif

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I'm looking down the bottom of the leaderboard and I'm wondering if this is the tournament that's gonna make me retire from betting on golf.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Club pro Michael Block Even par T-12th…and made cut by 5 shots

He was 3 under and T2nd at one point

Good for him.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Way too many Canadians up the leaderboard for my liking. Now we'll have to suffer through TSN gaslighting us into thinking they might win. Yuck.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Scheffler should win this in the end...the bad weather tomorrow though may allow some to hang around. I just feel over 36 more holes he is not gonna be beat the way he has looked

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Gonna be one hell of a Sunday and it looks like the weather will cooperate.

Really if you told the PGA there was only going to be the one delay (for frost) on a near record setting low temperature for the region, I think they would have taken that, despite the disappointment of the surprising rain on Friday and a bit of a washout on Saturday. In August that rain comes with thunder and lightning and would have caused another delay, though.

No one's gone lower than 66 (unless Koepka birdies 18) so you have to figure one of the top 3 will post a solid round and prevent someone coming from 3 or 4 back at the start of Sunday to win. EDIT: Ooh Conners and Hovland both giving another back to -5 gives a few more guys a chance IMO. If someone can get in early at -6 or -7 it could get veery interesting. Probably anyone currently in the red has a chance with a great round (66 or lower) tomorrow.

Last edited:

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
So ready to be back on the Brooks bandwagon fully - he's just gotta show me something. Been so weak on major Sundays since that near-choke at Bethpage. Need this!

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I'd say in order of most to least likely to win I would go Brooks-Scottie-Bryson-Hovland-Conners-Rose-Rory...I feel Rose and Rory have just looked too inconsistent hole to hole. Bryson has too but if he has a day where he hits fairways it can happen

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Holes 1-6 have been sort of a joke all day. I think we won't know til 10-11 if this is over. Many guys have been starting off stupid good only to find themselves even by the end

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
McIlroy overperformed when he won 4 majors that young. His putting isn't consistent enough to me to be one of the GOATs. You never see a major where McIlroy is missing the greens but saving himself with up and downs with great putting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad