Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Inaccurate is being nice. Anyone "outside our hockey bubble" that calls Wood the Preds best prospect is only doing so because they don't know shit about the prospect pool or they value the latest first round pick over everyone else (also known as lazy).

I hope he's the best draft pick the Preds have ever made but right now it's a joke to put him in the top three considering the players that have already proven themselves in pro leagues. For f***'s sake he's still going to play juniors next year. These are the same people that think tanking is a great strategy.
He’s in NCAA, not junior. Which is one of the reasons people rate him so highly. They know that much shit about our prospect pool anyway.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
He’s in NCAA, not junior. Which is one of the reasons people rate him so highly. They know that much shit about our prospect pool anyway.
Color me unimpressed by the distinction without difference.

I get your implication that they know more than me because I over looked/don't care his path through NCAA instead of juniors. He's still not going to be playing against men for two years so he not a factor until three years from now.

Reactions: ShagDaddy

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Color me unimpressed by the distinction without difference.

I get your implication that they know more than me because I over looked/don't care his path through NCAA instead of juniors. He's still not going to be playing against men for two years so he not a factor until three years from now.
I mean, I would argue that there is a meaningful distinction in that actually most college players are in fact 20-25 years old, so it's much closer to the "playing against men" status you mention. Junior leagues have some top end talent but the depth in terms of talent, size and strength in NCAA is much higher.

But your general point about producing in professional leagues still holds true.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I mean, I would argue that there is a meaningful distinction in that actually most college players are in fact 20-25 years old, so it's much closer to the "playing against men" status you mention. Junior leagues have some top end talent but the depth in terms of talent, size and strength in NCAA is much higher.

But your general point about producing in professional leagues still holds true.
I get that there are "older" players in the NCAA but Jack Livingstone, supposedly one of the most sought-after undrafted collegiate free agents this year, graduated at 23. If there's a 25 y/o still playing in the NCAA he may have his adult body but he doesn't have AHL talent much less NHL talent.

Maybe is a distinction with a slight difference at best.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I went with Wood as I think he has the highest upside out of all the prospects. I don't think this is a "who's the best that's closest to the NHL" type of poll.

Askarov still has a looong way to go before he becomes an NHL goalie. The fundamental flaws in his game are troubling.

I liked the Kemell pick and have to say it was intriguing how he torched the AHL as an 18-year old. But he's still a 5-9 winger who has to be really f***ing good to make an impact to the game. The Tolvanen comparisons are not that far off although I think Kemell is a more aggressive player of the two.

I have to say, I think I might have Evangelista ahead of Kemell at this point. He looked really good when he was called up and just seemed to have that "it" factor in his game. Not the biggest, not the fastest but just got the job done.

For me, Pärssinen's right up there as well. I'm really looking forward to seeing him develop. Based on everything that's been talked of him, he has a good head in his shoulders and does all the right things on the ice. Production I think will follow, he looked fatigued at times playing in Hynes' demanding system for centers.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Nothing in Askarov's game is " troubling ". He's a 20 year old that has played fewer games than alot of kids in juniors. For reference Carey Price had played roughly 200 more games in his career at this same age.

He has some things to work on, but almost every goalie at that age does. That's why they all spend multiple years in the minors unless their organization is stupid.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Nothing in Askarov's game is " troubling ". He's a 20 year old that has played fewer games than alot of kids in juniors. For reference Carey Price had played roughly 200 more games in his career at this same age.

He has some things to work on, but almost every goalie at that age does. That's why they all spend multiple years in the minors unless their organization is stupid.
Yep. Covid, then the KHL organizations jerking him around the leagues. He may take an extra season to mature. Most of the other 1st round pick goalies (other than MAF), started backup duty in their D+2 season. Askarov probably starts in his D+4 due to almost 2 years of lost development. Still at the age of 20, he was at the top of the AHL in starts, had a respectable sv%, and led the way for his age group

Edit: another note
2020-2022 Askarov played 49 games and 10 playoff games across 6 different organizations/leagues (MHL, VHL, KHL, EHT, WJC U20, and another International Tournament). Im not sure how much instruction or goalie coaching he's gotten over this period but i wouldnt think it has been a ton.

2022-2023 Askarov played 48 games and 12 playoff games for 1 team. More total games in a single AHL season as he has played over 2 years overseas. Heavy workload increase for him. He is in a much better environment now to actually better his play. I dont think he has done bad at all but some structure here should go a long way.

Last edited:

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
I went with Wood as I think he has the highest upside out of all the prospects. I don't think this is a "who's the best that's closest to the NHL" type of poll.

Askarov still has a looong way to go before he becomes an NHL goalie. The fundamental flaws in his game are troubling.

I liked the Kemell pick and have to say it was intriguing how he torched the AHL as an 18-year old. But he's still a 5-9 winger who has to be really f***ing good to make an impact to the game. The Tolvanen comparisons are not that far off although I think Kemell is a more aggressive player of the two.

I have to say, I think I might have Evangelista ahead of Kemell at this point. He looked really good when he was called up and just seemed to have that "it" factor in his game. Not the biggest, not the fastest but just got the job done.

For me, Pärssinen's right up there as well. I'm really looking forward to seeing him develop. Based on everything that's been talked of him, he has a good head in his shoulders and does all the right things on the ice. Production I think will follow, he looked fatigued at times playing in Hynes' demanding system for centers.
At what point in time does a player go from prospect to NHL roster player? Opinion only: I don’t view Parssinen as a prospect. He is an NHL roster player. As opposed to say Kemell or Wood.

Reactions: Scoresberg

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
At what point in time does a player go from prospect to NHL roster player? Opinion only: I don’t view Parssinen as a prospect. He is an NHL roster player. As opposed to say Kemell or Wood.
Just my view but I don't really see guys like Parssinen or Evangelista as roster players quite yet until/unless they make it out of camp this year. Too many changes and upheaval this offseason to make any assumptions IMO. Certainly you'd have to think Parssinen has the inside track to a spot though.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
Just my view but I don't really see guys like Parssinen or Evangelista as roster players quite yet until/unless they make it out of camp this year. Too many changes and upheaval this offseason to make any assumptions IMO. Certainly you'd have to think Parssinen has the inside track to a spot though.
Ok with that; in the case of Evangelista. But Parssinen is a different matter. We’ve had the opportunity to see his game(the old eye test). He looked like an NHL level player on his 1st shift and never looked like he was not in the correct league. I admit it’s just opinion but I think he’s here to stay and if Trotz/Brunette don’t see that I’ll be amazed. In fact, I’ll think they’re wrong.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Ok with that; in the case of Evangelista. But Parssinen is a different matter. We’ve had the opportunity to see his game(the old eye test). He looked like an NHL level player on his 1st shift and never looked like he was not in the correct league. I admit it’s just opinion but I think he’s here to stay and if Trotz/Brunette don’t see that I’ll be amazed. In fact, I’ll think they’re wrong.
Parssinen looked liked he belonged out of camp but lost out due to a numbers game. Personally, i would consider a player a prospect until they have 2 consecutive seasons with more than 50% of games played or over age 23.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad