• Gunnarwolf Fontaine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Decided to bite the bullet and start up the annual prospect rankings after some of the discussion in the other thread. To keep it simple I'm going to define a prospect as anyone 23 and under at the start of the season. I'll leave each poll open for two days and then we'll move onto the next one until we've ranked the top 15 prospects. If I'm slacking on getting a thread up after the previous poll closes others are more than welcome to keep it rolling. If I've left someone off of the list you feel should be included let me know and I will add them. So without further ado:

Vote for the best prospect (with whatever reasoning you want) from the above poll.

Rankings:

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Let's go to 20! :D

I voted Wood, but tbh, I have no idea if it's Wood, Kemell, or Askarov. Those have to be our top-3 anyway, in whatever order.

But maybe we have to clarify eligibility... to me, Parssinen, Evangelista, and Tomasino are very much eligible. And all 3 have shown well in the NHL already, so it won't shock me if any of them turns out to be better than the higher draft pick guys.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Let's go to 20! :D

I voted Wood, but tbh, I have no idea if it's Wood, Kemell, or Askarov. Those have to be our top-3 anyway, in whatever order.

But maybe we have to clarify eligibility... to me, Parssinen, Evangelista, and Tomasino are very much eligible. And all 3 have shown well in the NHL already, so it won't shock me if any of them turns out to be better than the higher draft pick guys.
Last years seemed to fizzle out after the top 10 so figured I'd just stop at 15. Although we have added some more intriguing names to the the pool so we could always keep it going.

I also went with 23 or under at the start of the season as the cut off for simplicity's sake. There's no perfect way to do it but like someone said in the other thread I think it is an interesting way to assess the long term potential of our team even if some of them (like Tomasino) have quite a few NHL games under their belt at this point.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Last years seemed to fizzle out after the top 10 so figured I'd just stop at 15. Although we have added some more intriguing names to the the pool so we could always keep it going.

I also went with 23 or under at the start of the season as the cut off for simplicity's sake. There's no perfect way to do it but like someone said in the other thread I think it is an interesting way to assess the long term potential of our team even if some of them (like Tomasino) have quite a few NHL games under their belt at this point.
Agreed. Some guys went "ahead of the curve" like Evangelista, and I guess the D like Stastney, just due to our injury situation. Others have played more games like Parssinen and Tomasino. But, end of the day, I think they are all still "prospects" really. :thumbu:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I went with Askarov but it was close with him and YK, only his higher upside tilted the scale.
Any doubts I have on Askarov are... well... he's "hyper" in goal, but he still doesn't position himself well or hold his arms correctly. He has "fundamental" flaws. And he's 21 now. Will he EVER correct his fundamental issues? I know they will work on these things with him. But still. It's not like a guy who just has to "put in the time"... this guy needs to make fundamental changes to his play. Maybe he will, maybe he won't.

Whereas to me, Kemell is kinda like what Tolvanen could have been, but you just put him in that slot in the lineup and he's going to use his shot to produce. And Wood... he is James Neal... if he realizes he is 6"3/220 and can lean on guys. To me, there is a lot less risk in Kemelll and Wood "learning" their positions than Askarov learning to be a goalie.

It is still "first world problems" though! :thumbu:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Thats a good list and kindof hard to pick a best. I think Askarov has the ability to have the biggest impact. If he turns out as a price like goalie, he could steal games or series single handedly.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Based on upside among skaters its Wood. I think Kemell is too much of a wildcard

I think Evangelista has higher upside than Tomasino- I think Evangelista could be like a 30-40 guy.

Parsinnen i think could be a 20-50
guy

Tomasino gets me the least hyped/ Id rather trade him for a proven asset

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Wow, people picking Kemell and Askarov to that extent over Wood surprises me. They do all have things they need to overcome though. For Wood it is mostly skating. For Kemell, he is kind of seen as a "one trick pony" with his PP/office shot. For Askarov... well... he is "fun" as a goalie... but.... :dunno:

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Wow, people picking Kemell and Askarov to that extent over Wood surprises me. They do all have things they need to overcome though. For Wood it is mostly skating. For Kemell, he is kind of seen as a "one trick pony" with his PP/office shot. For Askarov... well... he is "fun" as a goalie... but.... :dunno;
I don't think the "one trick pony" deal is accurate though. He's definitely one that looks shot first in the offensive zone.. not a bad thing.. but he's shown some grit and tenacity in his game too.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't think the "one trick pony" deal is accurate though. He's definitely one that looks shot first in the offensive zone.. not a bad thing.. but he's shown some grit and tenacity in his game too.
I love Kemell. He feels a lot like Tolvanen to me.

That's still not really a "#1 prospect" kind of player, though. :dunno:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

In his short stint in Milwaukee he has shown more offensive ability than Tolvanen ever thought about having. Frankly you are selling the kid short.

Meanwhile Wood is recently drafted, until he goes up against someone that isn't a kid he's not even near the top for me.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Not saying woods won’t be. Is woods really switching to center? Man this was a hard decision. Good problem to have. I think kemmel but woods, Evangelista, and askarov could all be picked as well

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Wow, people picking Kemell and Askarov to that extent over Wood surprises me. They do all have things they need to overcome though. For Wood it is mostly skating. For Kemell, he is kind of seen as a "one trick pony" with his PP/office shot. For Askarov... well... he is "fun" as a goalie... but.... :dunno:
If you think Kemell is a one trick pony, you haven’t watched him play at all.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

Wood hasn't done shit except get drafted.
Giving new draft picks the benefit of the doubt just because of where they were drafted makes no sense, but what do I know.

Not that I'm down on him, I think he's gonna be really good, but he could also flop.

Kemell and Askarov have shown some of what they have in store, and I like what I see.

Evangelista is right up there with those two as well.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Wood hasn't done shit except get drafted.
Giving new draft picks the benefit of the doubt just because of where they were drafted makes no sense, but what do I know.
Hm, I suppose they were drafted where they were drafted for no reason whatsoever, it was just random? :huh:

I mean, we have had longer here to follow Kemell and Askarov, for sure. But it won't surprise me when the folks outside of our little bubble rank Wood with them and in some cases ahead of them, as we just saw. He did some things to get drafted where he got drafted, you know.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Hm, I suppose they were drafted where they were drafted for no reason whatsoever, it was just random? :huh:

I mean, we have had longer here to follow Kemell and Askarov, for sure. But it won't surprise me when the folks outside of our little bubble rank Wood with them and in some cases ahead of them, as we just saw. He did some things to get drafted where he got drafted, you know.
And Kemell got drafted in essentially the same spot plus has shown that he can score at least at the AHL level. I'm fine putting Wood in the top 5 or so, but to call him our top prospect at this point is inaccurate.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
And Kemell got drafted in essentially the same spot plus has shown that he can score at least at the AHL level. I'm fine putting Wood in the top 5 or so, but to call him our top prospect at this point is inaccurate.
All I'm saying is people on the outside of our Nashville bubble are not going to look at it that way. It's fine to have a "different opinion", but it's just an opinion... on their side and ours, either way, so it can hardly be called "inaccurate".

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Lol... it's my opinion that calling him our top prospect is inaccurate. Happy now? :D
Inaccurate is being nice. Anyone "outside our hockey bubble" that calls Wood the Preds best prospect is only doing so because they don't know shit about the prospect pool or they value the latest first round pick over everyone else (also known as lazy).

I hope he's the best draft pick the Preds have ever made but right now it's a joke to put him in the top three considering the players that have already proven themselves in pro leagues. For f***'s sake he's still going to play juniors next year. These are the same people that think tanking is a great strategy.

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
Evangelista for me because of what he showed in the show last season.
I did too. He grew up in the Dale Hunter program, so I'm pretty damn sure this kid has been taught the hard side of the game. He's fast, skilled, and when he puts some adult muscle on, I think this guy is going to be a terror.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad