Patriots/NFL 2023 Off-Season II: Patriots cornerback Jack Jones arrested at Logan Airport with guns in carry-on luggage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Rosemary Scapicchio knows how the Boston courts work.

The NFLPA tells each player what the local laws are. In the Patriots case they focus on Mass and Rhode Island. In any event, most of the chatter I have seen was calling Jones stupid and not for him being a thug.

Of note, Scapicchio said outside the courtroom my client WAS ALMOST FIRED over these charges which tells me she has put the team on notice.

The Feds could still bring charges

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Rosemary Scapicchio knows how the Boston courts work.

The NFLPA tells each player what the local laws are. In the Patriots case they focus on Mass and Rhode Island. In any event, most of the chatter I have seen was calling Jones stupid and not for him being a thug.

Of note, Scapicchio said outside the courtroom my client WAS ALMOST FIRED over these charges which tells me she has put the team on notice.

The Feds could still bring charges

Going to depend on how the ATF wants to handle this.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Does Logan fall under the jurisdiction of Mass State Police or Federal?
The state. It is run by Massport which is a state agency.

The issues are a lack of a FID and the large capacity magazines. That is where the Feds could step in.

I am hoping the Conduct Detrimental Podcast covers the case because I honestly cannot find anything about the Feds charging him.

Everything points to the ATF's definition of the items found but states it is up to the local jurisdiction, in this case MA, to charge them if a criminal referral is made.

Last edited:

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Patriots gotta think he's got a good chance of either getting off without jail time or that this might drag out long enough for him to play the season either that or they would have cut him

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Patriots gotta think he's got a good chance of either getting off without jail time or that this might drag out long enough for him to play the season either that or they would have cut him
Probably hoping this gets dragged out.

I did see Dan Wallach tweet about the case but I haven't read it. Hoping the Conduct Detrimental podcast puts out a quick episode to go over the case so we know exactly what he's facing.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
What a desperate, desperate organization. Sad times.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Because they don't just flat out cut a guy before the legal process plays out?

This isnt Hernandez, where what he was accused and arrested for was grounds for outright release regardless of the legal process.

As others have point out, plenty of players and a coach have had this happen. Sure it's absolutely stupid and reckless, etc., but I'm going to go out on a limb and say no NFL team would cut a talented player for this until the legal system does it's thing.

Reactions: Alicat and CDJ

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
What the hell are you spouting off about?

What, because they didnt denounce a guy who is charged with non violent misdemeanors before the legal process has a chance to play out?

I mean, are the Grizzlies a desperate organization because they haven't cut Ja Morant after multiple instances of brandishing firearms?
I believe I am "spouting off" about this Jack Jones situation. At least I think that's what I was talking about.

As for Ja Morant, he is a franchise player in a league where you are nothing without one. So yes, the Grizzlies will do everything they can to try and turn Morant around. Jack Jones is not even close to being in a Ja Morant category talent/impact wise. That's the desperation. And I heard Jeff Howe on radio saying he would be very, very surprised if Jones isn't cut--he didn't say anything about waiting for a drawn out legal process to conclude. You can stop pretending like saying Jones should be cut is some far fetched idea. It's not. You can certainly disagree with it though.

It was fun when this organization used to be good at the sport of football!

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I believe I am "spouting off" about this Jack Jones situation. At least I think that's what I was talking about.

As for Ja Morant, he is a franchise player in a league where you are nothing without one. So yes, the Grizzlies will do everything they can to try and turn Morant around. Jack Jones is not even close to being in a Ja Morant category talent/impact wise. That's the desperation. And I heard Jeff Howe on radio saying he would be very, very surprised if Jones isn't cut--he didn't say anything about waiting for a drawn out legal process to conclude. You can stop pretending like saying Jones should be cut is some far fetched idea. It's not. You can certainly disagree with it though.

It was fun when this organization used to be good at the sport of football!
I still don't understand how not immediately cutting a guy with obvious talent, who slipped in the draft due to warranted off field concerns, makes them desperate.

He's a quality starting CB after a rookie year, which is a premium position in the league. Why would a team not want to try to stick through it if possible?

We aren't talking about some bottom of the roster fodder.

Reactions: CDJ

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Remember when we used to be up our own ass over the "Patriot Way" and shit? The league and the world have changed a lot in the last decade or two.

The narrative is probably going to be how it was Myra Kraft who kept the moral standards of the team up after she made them cut Christian Peter, then after she died RKK let the standards slip a lot, but really it's more of a universal shift in the power dynamics between owners and players. Different times.

Reactions: CDJ

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Put the guy in jail, Cant let this go without serious consequences. Its no joke what he did and he needs to be punished.

Then again its football so no big deal I guess. The NFL should have its own prison system save tax payers dealing their bullshit.

I feel this is rare, but i agree with you. It's not like we don't have a gun problem in this Country and actual laws that address this exact issue.

People say mean stuff on Twitter though, so he's somehow the victim..

Last edited:

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
And airports are federal

Attachments

• E9CD0C47-05CE-4073-9ECF-B70D7A9AD70B.jpeg
    E9CD0C47-05CE-4073-9ECF-B70D7A9AD70B.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 2
  • B8A609BD-CA6C-4E8E-91A1-D340C4AFFCAA.jpeg
    B8A609BD-CA6C-4E8E-91A1-D340C4AFFCAA.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 2

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I still don't understand how not immediately cutting a guy with obvious talent, who slipped in the draft due to warranted off field concerns, makes them desperate.

He's a quality starting CB after a rookie year, which is a premium position in the league. Why would a team not want to try to stick through it if possible?

We aren't talking about some bottom of the roster fodder.
There's a reason Jones fell to a 4th round pick or whatever he was. Everybody knows he's talented. I'm sure a lot of teams simply don't want to deal with the headache. They have the right to stick it out and see where this goes. All I am saying is don't pretend like saying he should be cut is some outrageous take. Not when you take into account his entire history. Both in college and the suspension last year with the Patriots.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Let's not act like he's Henry Ruggs and legit killed someone. He was just being a moron and fronting like a tough guy gangster.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Let's not act like he's Henry Ruggs and legit killed someone. He was just being a moron and fronting like a tough guy gangster.
I would say a guy with a history of being a moron/unreliable isn't going to end up being a great asset going forward. Issues in college and already suspended by the Patriots as a rookie.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

and he was innocent

Pats need to hold on to all the talent they have, they would have cut him if it were when they were good.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

and he was innocent

Pats need to hold on to all the talent they have, they would have cut him if it were when they were good.
Very different crimes in terms of how people perceive them, especially in the NFL with how they’ve dropped the ball on so many DV cases in the past. It also didn’t help Gladney that he wasn’t good at football

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Very different crimes in terms of how people perceive them, especially in the NFL with how they’ve dropped the ball on so many DV cases in the past. It also didn’t help Gladney that he wasn’t good at football
Gladney had just finished his rookie season as a 1st round pick. Vikings cut him, no questions asked. Vikings stunk and still cut him. Jones now has two stupid trangressions, and the Pats are only keeping him because they need talent. Super Bowl years he would have been cut the day after it happened.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Gladney had just finished his rookie season as a 1st round pick. Vikings cut him, no questions asked. Vikings stunk and still cut him. Jones now has two stupid trangressions, and the Pats are only keeping him because they need talent. Super Bowl years he would have been cut the day after it happened.
the perception of the crimes is very different- they’re apples and oranges, one is an accused violent crime against a woman and the other crime leaves behind zero victims (unless you consider Jack a victim of his own stupidity)

and yes Gladney was a guy they reached on and he ended up being one of the worst corners in football that one year he played before his untimely death

Last edited:
Reactions: LouJersey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad