GDT: 2023 NHL Entry Draft

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
The trade thread is open. This thread will remain open for anyone who still wants to discuss the draft.

IMG_2604.gif

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Trotz asks for upside and (outside of Wood) Nashville comes out with a bunch of potential middle sixers and 4/5 defenseman. I like Nilsson and Kiiskinen, but they don't scream huge upside.

I don't care for Minnesota's draft. Stramel at 21 is real rich and like I said in our mock draft thread, decent chance Heidt is a AAAA player imo.

Anaheim had an interesting draft. Other than the obvious of going with Carlsson, all of Myatovic, Terrance, and Pitre seem like good bets to play. I like Sidorov.

Carolina sure loves their tiny skill wingers. I guess if you take enough of them you'll hit on one eventually.

I think Detroit could have done better given they had 41/42/43 coming into the day.

Seattle's draft was interesting too. Lots of boom / bust.

Vegas made good use of their limited capital.

Not a huge fan of what Washington did after Leonard.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Trotz asks for upside and (outside of Wood) Nashville comes out with a bunch of potential middle sixers and 4/5 defenseman. I like Nilsson and Kiiskinen, but they don't scream huge upside.

I don't care for Minnesota's draft. Stramel at 21 is real rich and like I said in our mock draft thread, decent chance Heidt is a AAAA player imo.

Anaheim had an interesting draft. Other than the obvious of going with Carlsson, all of Myatovic, Terrance, and Pitre seem like good bets to play. I like Sidorov.

Carolina sure loves their tiny skill wingers. I guess if you take enough of them you'll hit on one eventually.

I think Detroit could have done better given they had 41/42/43 coming into the day.

Glass, Suzuki, Brännström, Krebs, Brisson, Dean, Edström. Anybody else see a pattern with Vegas's high picks? Almost all C's. Of course nobody will ever play for them, but they're very good trade chips!:nod: Expand to the 2nd round and you'll find D's and C's. Wingers can be found in later rounds and cheaper in trades/free agency. How's it going, Oskar?

Reactions: Chiarelli

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Glass, Suzuki, Brännström, Krebs, Brisson, Dean, Edström. Anybody else see a pattern with Vegas's high picks? Almost all C's. Of course nobody will ever play for them, but they're very good trade chips!:nod: Expand to the 2nd round and you'll find D's and C's. Wingers can be found in later rounds and cheaper in trades/free agency. How's it going, Oskar?
Sure seems to be the story every year.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Winner: Colorado Avalanche

Asset management is essentially how one can effectively navigate the draft, and the Avalanche did just that. They parlayed a pending restricted free agent in Alex Newhook into a trade that saw them land a first-round and second-round pick from the Montreal Canadiens. Then, it was about using that second-rounder and flipping that for Ross Colton in a trade with the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Those moves allowed the Avs to find a third-line center at a cheaper price than what J.T. Compher would have cost to re-sign on the open market. It also led to the Avs getting two first-round picks to help replenish a system that was drained in the chase for the Stanley Cup they won in 2022. Being financially conscious is something every team must consider and for the Avs, it has become their edict. This draft was a reflection of that concept. -- Clark

Everywhere I look, Avs are winners.......a day after the draft.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Be nice if the Avs invited Tomas Suchanek to dev camp. If the belief in the organization is that Annunen is the new JoJo aka the new 3G then someone needs to fill either the 4G/5G spot and battle it out with Trent Miner to take the 2G job in Loveland. If they don't consider Annunen a 3G I hope they get Joey Daccord.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Klippenstein just really seems to like overagers in the draft. It's an interesting strategy, I guess it might be easier to see what a 20 year old might turn into than it is for a 17 year old, but the whole thing with Buyalski, Zhigalov, Jedlicka, and Hanzel seems like it could be the Avs being too cute for their own good. Was Klip with the team when they drafted Saigeon, too, or was that too long ago?

Anyway, I guess it literally can't possibly be worse than whatever strategy they were previously employing. But it does seem like a pattern is emerging in these late round choices where overagers who are off the general radar get targeted. Maybe they think they're exploiting a market inefficiency here and finding hidden gems, but this many overagers in the last few years looks like a strategy they're trying to implement rather than just random chance at this point.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Overall I really like the Gulyayev and Hanzel picks. I'm OK with the Ritchie and Jedlicka picks.
I hate the Ishimnikov pick. That pick reminds of when they pick dman Josh Anderson in the 3rd in 2016. What a waste of a pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleRisto

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Klippenstein just really seems to like overagers in the draft. It's an interesting strategy, I guess it might be easier to see what a 20 year old might turn into than it is for a 17 year old, but the whole thing with Buyalski, Zhigalov, Jedlicka, and Hanzel seems like it could be the Avs being too cute for their own good. Was Klip with the team when they drafted Saigeon, too, or was that too long ago?

Anyway, I guess it literally can't possibly be worse than whatever strategy they were previously employing. But it does seem like a pattern is emerging in these late round choices where overagers who are off the general radar get targeted. Maybe they think they're exploiting a market inefficiency here and finding hidden gems, but this many overagers in the last few years looks like a strategy they're trying to implement rather than just random chance at this point.
Can't they just PTO over-agers?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Can't they just PTO over-agers?
Yeah, but if you go that route there's competition for their services with 31 other teams who are also looking for free prospects, and you just have to hope he chooses your org as a free agent. If you like the player it's got a lower chance of success than just drafting them. Still, the allure of getting them for free has got to be there, it's a little puzzling that they value these guys so highly that they're willing to expend draft capital on them rather than risk another team scooping them up. Was drafting Buyalski in the third round really worth it when he could have been had as a college UFA in a few years? Is Hanzel so valuable that they couldn't risk him signing with another org for their development camp? Time will tell I suppose but it's a weird strategy to me, maybe Klippenstein thinks he's found a cheat code for the late rounds and a creative way to use draft capital.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Shaugabay is going to really thrive in the Tampa system... super high IQ and probably the best player in the draft outside of Bedard and Smith at finding space.

Wings killing another dream.
Shaungabay is the one that got away, he was my ultimate dark horse for this draft. Super disappointed that he went to Tampa of all teams and they traded up to get him. A bit disappointed with the Avs for not being aggressive and trading up to get Perreault when he was there at 23rd. I am not saying we have the assets to have done that, but at least try a bit hard and more visual I guess.

L.A is prime opportunity to see a f***ing stupid team.

Until that team gets a real goalie, they will forever be 1st round fodder for the Oilers.
Dubois is there to replace Kopitar who is on the edge of retirement. When they open up that cap space, that should be their goaler. It's risky not to go for it now, but I sort of understand the moves they made.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

I liked Columbus' draft based on preliminary views, I would have taken every single player they drafted in the top four rounds. Peddle as a 7th-round lad is good value too, especially for being the last player drafted in the entire draft.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I liked Columbus' draft based on preliminary views, I would have taken every single player they drafted in the top four rounds. Peddle as a 7th-round lad is good value too, especially for being the last player drafted in the entire draft.
Yeah they had a solid draft. Columbus fans should be happy. They finally have a potential franchise center after all these year. I don't love Brindley at 34, but don't hate it either. Not sure if the Fantilli selection played a part in that pick or not. Whitelaw and Strathmann both are talented players and pretty good value for where they went IMO. Whitelaw could be a Cam Atkinson replacement and Strathmann is another good defenseman to add to a pool that already has Jiricek, Mateychuk, and Svozil.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad