2023 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
What's the past history of top talent that signed contracts in the KHL?

I can't remember the last top talent like Michkov (I think that was Ovechkin), but also, I can't remember the last time a young prospect signed such a long contract.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
This is wrong. Doesn't matter if we didn't improve our position, we still had to win the lottery to get 1st. We've got one more lottery win left in the next four years, let's just use it right away in 2023 and get it over with. 😀

Nope. You're wrong. Other poster is right. A lottery win is only considered a win if you benefit from it by moving up. We finished last & could not benefit from a lottery win. We still have 2 lottery wins available to us.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
I agree. He's unfortunately also likely tied up with some very powerful and dangerous people. Putin's entire posse is from St Petersburg. There is approximately 0% chance that he just lets the next Ovechkin spend his entire career somewhere else. You already won't get him before 2026.
Might end up to be the next Sergei Makarov….
Greatest Russian not to play in the NHL?

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Nope. You're wrong. Other poster is right. A lottery win is only considered a win if you benefit from it by moving up. We finished last & could not benefit from a lottery win. We still have 2 lottery wins available to us.

I really don't think so, pretty sure that's just wishful thinking from Habs fans based on that "move up" wording in an article. By default we were going to pick 3rd unless we won one of the two lottery spots (or two teams in the #12-15 won and moved up 10 spots). I think one of the Habs reporters needs to clarify this with the NHL head office.

Last edited:

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
I really don't think so, pretty sure that's just wishful thinking from Habs fans based on that "move up" wording in an article. By default we were going to pick 3rd unless we won one of the two lottery spots (or two teams in the #12-15 won and moved up 10 spots). I think one of the Habs reporters needs to clarify this with the NHL head office.

This was discussed multiple times. The rule is that a team can only move up 2x per 5 years. We didn’t move up.

merlin

Mar 10, 2003
montreal
Visit site
Seems to me the best lhjmq prospects for next year aren’t even tagged for the 1st round, and not even sure for the second. Cataford and Drapeau are the top rated but it looks like a very poor year for the lhjmq. Any thoughts or insight on this? I hope i am wrong…

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Seems to me the best lhjmq prospects for next year aren’t even tagged for the 1st round, and not even sure for the second. Cataford and Drapeau are the top rated but it looks like a very poor year for the lhjmq. Any thoughts or insight on this? I hope i am wrong…

They won the Memorial Cup 3 years in a row so I'm told every things all good.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

"Limits on lottery wins. Beginning this season, no team will be able to move up the draft board by winning a lottery more than two times in a five-year period."

Seriously, this was all discussed pre-lottery in the tank thread.

Reactions: bcv

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

I can see Cataford sneaking into late 1st round. Tyler Peddle too.

Drapeau seems more 2nd round, but we'll see what the season brings.

Preliminary rankings aren't even out yet!

Usually they start coming out after Hlinka, which starts July 29th, so sometime in August.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
"Limits on lottery wins. Beginning this season, no team will be able to move up the draft board by winning a lottery more than two times in a five-year period."

Seriously, this was all discussed pre-lottery in the tank thread.

Yeah I just think it's poorly worded article written by ESPN, not the NHL. They shouldn't have used the "move up" part as it doesn't apply to the last place team winning #1 or 2 or the second last place team winning #2. I still believe those situations count as a win and we only have one left in the next four years. Under your scenario the same team could finish last and pick 1st overall every single year, which goes against the spirit of the rule change.

Either way, whatever. Just win Bedard next year and I'm good. 😀 Otherwise:

#Don't score for Dalibor
#Mail it in for Carlsson

Last edited:

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
This would be the dumbest move in the history of professional sports

Depends on Putin more than Mitchkov. If the Russian go in Lithuania...

The fact that my 16th ranked prospect in pre-liminary rankings is Riley Heidt.

A kid that put up 58 pts in 65 games.
In the WHL.
In his Draft-1 Season.

2023 is bonkers.

That's before all the risers.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I would avoid Michkov. He's a very dangerous pick to make with Putin tightening his grip on the population there.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
In particular with Michkov, Putin seems to have found a way to keep players he wants in Russia with this conscription nonsense. He's found his way to put people in line.

And that, of course, assumes that Michkov really does want to play in the NHL. Maybe he's a St George ribbon wearing, Z toting, Duginist true believer in Great Russia that stretches from Lisbon to Vladivostok.

Reactions: vladis271
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad