2023 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If Habs miss the playoffs but somehow do better next year and end up picking outside the Top-10 (let's say 13th), are there real good players available? Or is there a drop off after the Top-10?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
If Habs miss the playoffs but somehow do better next year and end up picking outside the Top-10 (let's say 13th), are there real good players available? Or is there a drop off after the Top-10?

2023 is ridiculous. Lots of good players available, and there will be reaches like every year.

Now that we have Slafkovsky, I just think how ridiculous it would be to have Fantilli or Carlsson and also find a way to get Halttunen. All of the sudden we have a line that defences are worried about containing.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This is what I have pre 2022-2023 so far

Name
Position
Connor Bedard​
C​
Matvei Michkov​
RW​
Adam Fantilli​
C​
Leo Carlsson​
C​
Brayden Yager​
C​
Dalibor Dvorsky​
C​
Kasper Halttunen​
LW​
Zach Benson​
LW​
Theo Lindstein​
D​
Matthew Wood​
C​
Calum Ritchie​
C​
Charlie Stramel​
RW​
Otto Stenberg​
C​
Colby Barlow​
RW​
Oliver Moore​
C​
Riley Heidt​
LW​

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
This is what I have pre 2022-2023 so far

Name
Position
Connor Bedard​
C​
Matvei Michkov​
RW​
Adam Fantilli​
C​
Leo Carlsson​
C​
Brayden Yager​
C​
Dalibor Dvorsky​
C​
Kasper Halttunen​
LW​
Zach Benson​
LW​
Theo Lindstein​
D​
Matthew Wood​
C​
Calum Ritchie​
C​
Charlie Stramel​
RW​
Otto Stenberg​
C​
Colby Barlow​
RW​
Oliver Moore​
C​
Riley Heidt​
LW​

So we need a top6 pick basically.

This is still a Bergevin team so I like our odds a lot.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
*Since we did not improve our positioning in the lottery this year - we still could win the lottery to draft Bedard AND Kiviharju over the next 2 years.

This is wrong. Doesn't matter if we didn't improve our position, we still had to win the lottery to get 1st. We've got one more lottery win left in the next four years, let's just use it right away in 2023 and get it over with. 😀

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
What needs to happens to ensure a good pick:

1) Price says hes back for begining of the season
2) We received a good offer for Jake Alen and we let him go.
3) Price cant keep the pace up in october
4) We are stuck with Montembeault and Primeau all year and a shitty defence group, because we couldnt sign a UFA dman since Price said he was back.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Our defence is going to be appalling. I think we should be neck and neck with Chicago, they should still have Kane and Toews around at least. I can't even consider us finishing below Arizona again though.

Let's see how the dust settles after free agency. I see Seattle and Philly making significant additions. NJ will be better.

I'm worried about the likes of Anaheim, San Jose and Detroit. They could all suck hard. The Red Wings got way more points than they should have last year if you look at goal differential.

hardcorehabs

Feb 9, 2013
Saskatchewan
Our defence is going to be appalling. I think we should be neck and neck with Chicago, they should still have Kane and Toews around at least. I can't even consider us finishing below Arizona again though.

Let's see how the dust settles after free agency. I see Seattle and Philly making significant additions. NJ will be better.

I'm worried about the likes of Anaheim, San Jose and Detroit. They could all suck hard. The Red Wings got way more points than they should have last year if you look at goal differential.
If we trade Allen & Price is done, we will be bottom 5 for sure. Decent chance bottom 3.

32. Arizona
Chicago
Seattle
Montreal
San Jose
Philly
Columbus
Anaheim
Detroit
Buffalo

That’s the 10 in my opinion, in order.

NJ and OTT graduate into bubble teams.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
1. One of the most important challenges will be to figure out who follows Bedard and Michkov, right now I think that's Yager. He has the pure goal scorer profile that is so rare.
2. If a very prevalent Russian factor could make Michkov a ND.
This would be the dumbest move in the history of professional sports

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
My prediction since 6 months......:

Hit me

Matvey Michkov.....no matter how good he is...wil NOT be a top 5 in the draft next year.

6 months ago I was convince of that because that he is under contract in Russia until....22 f..years old...

Now add the war that will be long...

Under those circonstances. Even ..if Bedard was Russian under contract...I would not pick him top 5 too...

Look what Crosby and Mcdavid did before 22 years old in the NHL for example...... in no way I would pick Michkov over a Carlsson, Fantili etc..next season

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
2023 is ridiculous. Lots of good players available, and there will be reaches like every year.

Now that we have Slafkovsky, I just think how ridiculous it would be to have Fantilli or Carlsson and also find a way to get Halttunen. All of the sudden we have a line that defences are worried about containing.
I know zero things about the 2023 draft at this stage and I'm sure your right about those two being great additions. But don't you think we really need to be drafting a potential 1D player sooner rather than later in our rebuild. Those guys take longer to develop than forwards and therefore are typically front loaded at the beginning of a rebuild.

Maybe Hutson is that guy if he grows but that's a concern for me. 2023 seems like its forward heavy at the top end too so no easy decisions.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008

lol but no defense.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I know zero things about the 2023 draft at this stage and I'm sure your right about those two being great additions. But don't you think we really need to be drafting a potential 1D player sooner rather than later in our rebuild. Those guys take longer to develop than forwards and therefore are typically front loaded at the beginning of a rebuild.

Maybe Hutson is that guy if he grows but that's a concern for me. 2023 seems like its forward heavy at the top end too so no easy decisions.

Totally agree that we're missing a blue chip #1D prospect. But as you note here, 2023 is, so far, extremely top heavy. Maybe a dman can make a Heiskanen-like rise, but we'll have to wait and see.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The guy could go #1. He's that talented and his IQ is exceptional. What a player.

I agree. He's unfortunately also likely tied up with some very powerful and dangerous people. Putin's entire posse is from St Petersburg. There is approximately 0% chance that he just lets the next Ovechkin spend his entire career somewhere else. You already won't get him before 2026.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Florida lost a couple of guys and Duclair will miss half the season, will be interesting to keep an eye on them next season.

toughest division too. maybe we end up with a pick around 20 instead of 30.

I agree. He's unfortunately also likely tied up with some very powerful and dangerous people. Putin's entire posse is from St Petersburg. There is approximately 0% chance that he just lets the next Ovechkin spend his entire career somewhere else. You already won't get him before 2026.

What's the past history of top talent that signed contracts in the KHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad