GDT: 2023 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 - June 28th - 7 P.M. / Round 2-7 - June 29th - 11 A.M

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
That was the first draft I attended, but I did have some fun memories of the first day. I was annoyed when Cam Fowler (and Brandon Gormley at the time) seemingly fell into the the Rangers' lap at #10. When they picked Dylan McIlrath, I jumped out of my seat. Most of the fans around me were confused why I was cheering the pick until I chimed in "they messed up!"

There was a Vancouver fan sitting a couple rows in front of me who had printed out a bunch of draft rankings. Then Vancouver traded their first for Keith Ballard. When the trade was announced he threw the papers into the air and stormed off.

Interesting, he had the top 4 correct last year based on what he had been hearing. On the flip side, he reported that we were going to take Makar #1 in 2017; Allegedly we had interest in trading down to #3 in a scenario where Nolan Patrick went first and we'd be assured at least one of Nico/Makar was there at #3.

Man, the Blueshirt Banter 2010 Draft thread was epic.

You can see the growing excitement of Rags fans as Fowler keeps dropping only to have the glorious pay off in the utter devastation left in the wake of the McIlrath pick.

They weren’t exactly surprised, Sather was a hopeless size queen, but they we’re definitely devastated.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I kind of like Carlsson more but I don’t have a ton of conviction with that position lol.

Felt the same way about Stützle but his skating made him easier to get fully behind.
Stuzle was more dynamic. I was higher on Carlsson before too, but in the moment Fantilli is more dynamic. The question is where his IQ is. And physical pick. Carlsson is a baby in tall body, Fantilli looks like me two years ago.
So for me they are close. If I would be a gm I would pick Fantilli.

But like it was year ago with fifth pick I would be happy to pick Gauthier, this year I would be happy to pick Leonard by 6th pick.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I hung it up mostly due to time constraints, but some of the increasing negativity and herd mentality in the draft community certainly contributed. I miss it, and I miss all of you guys on HFBoards, but I don't miss getting paid for hundreds of hours of work.

What don't I miss? Watching a player for 35 games and writing several detailed pages about what makes him a terrific prospect, only to have someone who has never watched him play say the kid will be a bust because he looked at his stat sheet once or read a "draft writer" who has never watched him play but just goes by stats alone. That was increasingly frustrating to me in recent years.

As you know, I've followed you on Twitter all year, and I feel your draft analysis has been outstanding. I hope you stick with it, because you're really terrific at what you do.
Yeah. I fully understand you and feel for you on the level I will turn your path too. May be for a month of draft binge, and some games through the year, but it`s really hard and I should work much more on my art career. So i believe I will focus more on our Russian prospects. I hope I will have on opportunity to go to the games of Gritsyuk, Bardakov and Michkov in the same building time after time. I should admit it`s really hard that someone said "i read a lot of GOOD AND SERIOUS mocks, there are no Simashev in top-9 or there are no Leonard over Smith". But I syill want to do it in shorter volume for myself and for guys from this board and for my our Russian\Belorussian Devils community. They are very involved in juniors tornaments, we are watching some OHL\AHL\WHL play off games online. We are watching a lot of NCAA games together online this year. So it`s fun because we have little but friendly community, and NJD hf boards is a part of this community for me too. So I`m not ready to say "I`m done at all", may be someday I will. I feel I will take a pause for some time in the future. I feel I need a pause after the draft and market. Just to restore my battery. And I`m thanksfull that some guys supports me here.
So may be if you feel this poisoned athmosphere on twitter or general draft forum(there are deffinitely there from some part). but if you still feel for your interest and have one hour per week, than I would be glad to share with you here, where people support your word, oppinion and job, With shorter list of players. Much shorter. I really don`t understand how you watched so much hockey and so much prospects and made a write about them all. You was stup1dly crazy to make it for free, man. I`m happy that you stopped it)

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Yeah. I fully understand you and feel for you on the level I will turn your path too. May be for a month of draft binge, and some games through the year, but it`s really hard and I should work much more on my art career. So i believe I will focus more on our Russian prospects. I hope I will have on opportunity to go to the games of Gritsyuk, Bardakov and Michkov in the same building time after time. I should admit it`s really hard that someone said "i read a lot of GOOD AND SERIOUS mocks, there are no Simashev in top-9 or there are no Leonard over Smith". But I syill want to do it in shorter volume for myself and for guys from this board and for my our Russian\Belorussian Devils community. They are very involved in juniors tornaments, we are watching some OHL\AHL\WHL play off games online. We are watching a lot of NCAA games together online this year. So it`s fun because we have little but friendly community, and NJD hf boards is a part of this community for me too. So I`m not ready to say "I`m done at all", may be someday I will. I feel I will take a pause for some time in the future. I feel I need a pause after the draft and market. Just to restore my battery. And I`m thanksfull that some guys supports me here.
So may be if you feel this poisoned athmosphere on twitter or general draft forum(there are deffinitely there from some part). but if you still feel for your interest and have one hour per week, than I would be glad to share with you here, where people support your word, oppinion and job, With shorter list of players. Much shorter. I really don`t understand how you watched so much hockey and so much prospects and made a write about them all. You was stup1dly crazy to make it for free, man. I`m happy that you stopped it)
@StevenToddIves is just getting old and curmudgeonly

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

Australian playing since age 6 for the Pink Panthers

Looks like somebody accidentally pushed part of their DEV TEST environment to PROD. Whoops. :laugh:

Also, "Mustapha Lemieux" sounds like the kind of name you'd start getting for players after you let Dynasty mode run for too many years in NHL video games.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Been pretty big on following the draft the past couple of years. This year, right as the Meier trade happened, I decided it wasn't worth it. Just too much on my plate.

That being said, the top 5 of Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli, Carlsson, and Smith might be the best top 5 I have ever seen. I haven't been following the draft long enough to make definitive statements, but this has to be up there for the best top 5 ever in a draft.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Looks like somebody accidentally pushed part of their DEV TEST environment to PROD. Whoops. :laugh:

Also, "Mustapha Lemieux" sounds like the kind of name you'd start getting for players after you let Dynasty mode run for too many years in NHL video games.

its not a mistake. and its funny as f***.... love this part

Player Q & A
In 2 words, how would you describe your game?
I play hard. 125% effort. There are times you will ask me to stop hitting from behind and I will say, "It is disrespectful for people to turn their backs to you."

///

Elite Prospects founder Johan Nilsson created Lemieux’s profile before the 2010 NHL Draft to test a new “live draft” feature.

He wanted each player’s profile to update automatically upon being drafted —for example, he wanted Taylor Hall’s profile to update to include the Edmonton Oilers as soon as they selected him first overall. Nilsson couldn’t wait until Hall was actually selected to make sure the feature was functional — hence the “birth” of Mustapha Lemieux.

Nilsson filled Lemieux’s profile with funny (and sometimes obscene) quotes, fake stats and a completely fake back story. The intention was to delete the page as soon as he confirmed the new draft ticker worked as intended.

But then Lemieux caught the attention of people in the hockey world.

“We realized that people kinda liked him,” Nilsson said. “So we kept him and the legend grew.”

///

...then there is the legend tsjuimoto from buffalo

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
its not a mistake. and its funny as f***.... love this part

Player Q & A
I play hard. 125% effort. There are times you will ask me to stop hitting from behind and I will say, "It is disrespectful for people to turn their backs to you."

///

Elite Prospects founder Johan Nilsson created Lemieux’s profile before the 2010 NHL Draft to test a new “live draft” feature.

He wanted each player’s profile to update automatically upon being drafted —for example, he wanted Taylor Hall’s profile to update to include the Edmonton Oilers as soon as they selected him first overall. Nilsson couldn’t wait until Hall was actually selected to make sure the feature was functional — hence the “birth” of Mustapha Lemieux.

Nilsson filled Lemieux’s profile with funny (and sometimes obscene) quotes, fake stats and a completely fake back story. The intention was to delete the page as soon as he confirmed the new draft ticker worked as intended.

But then Lemieux caught the attention of people in the hockey world.

“We realized that people kinda liked him,” Nilsson said. “So we kept him and the legend grew.”

///

Thanks for the info, that’s way funnier than my version. :laugh:

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Projectable size at 5'4 289
So much gold

I never see him at home and when I go to the rink, he is not there either. I think he is having an affair, Wife #4 2017

Contract - Summer69

I've lived in many conditions, but I prefer to live with a family that values me as a person -- a hard-working underdog who strives to soar to new heights every day I leave home to go to the rink. If practice starts at 7:30am, do not ask me to get into the car before 7:40. If I have a bedroom to myself, great. I will not acknowledge a billet brother or sister. I'm on a strict off-season diet of Nathan's hot dogs and lukewarm orange juice. During the season I enjoy pasta with chicken (thighs, do not feed me dry breast meat). I will not consume anything considered a "vegetable". Also particularly allergic to pine nuts, pollen, multi-color area rugs and cats. You can ask me to turn my music down, but I mentally prepare for game days the night before strictly through classical music (preferably Yanni Live in Concert) at the highest of volumes until midnight, which is when I eat my midnight snack. If you ask me to do chores around the house, I will ask you for compensation.

Reactions: My3Sons

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Also, I can't even imagine having to decide at #2 between Fantilli, Michkov, and Carlsson. I'd probably rank them in that order, but my God are they all so f***ing good. I think Michkov by a hair is the most skilled, but Fantilli is a f***ing dawg out there. He reminds me of like a Tkachuk/Malkin hybrid player. That kid is gonna be something real special.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Also, I can't even imagine having to decide at #2 between Fantilli, Michkov, and Carlsson. I'd probably rank them in that order, but my God are they all so f***ing good. I think Michkov by a hair is the most skilled, but Fantilli is a f***ing dawg out there. He reminds me of like a Tkachuk/Malkin hybrid player. That kid is gonna be something real special.
Fantilli looked really good to me as a college freshman. I'm guessing all those players turn out well if they can avoid injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad