Votes: 1 2.6%
  • BPA no matter what position

Votes: 23 59.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
What "poor kid" is actually playing hockey?

It's an incredibly expensive sport that automatically rules out a certain percentage of people anyways.

Still, even with his dad being a former NHL pro, you can still improve your skating at age 18 which has been shown over and over again

To me you look if the prospect has at least one thing he's really good at and then you decide if the other things are OK(or you think you can work on) to you or not.
And Perreault can put the puck in the net which is a really nice aspect to his game.

But like you've said, at #20 none of us(armchair scouts) knows which prospects will be around and there's even a good chance the team just takes someone completely different because that who they have on top of their list when the Kraken are on the clock.
It's expensive in the US, not so much in Canada. If you want an example of a poor Canadian hockey player from BFE, you can start with Tootoo.

None of the Canadian college guys I knew came from a rich background, their parents were school teachers and such. Maybe not Tootoo poor, but certainly not rich.

Anyways, back to the subject, watch Gabe's skating. The kids that improve drastically usually have technique flaws, bad mechanics, stance issues, or don't use their edges properly. Gabe doesn't have those issues, his legs are just slow.

Hockey is a faster game than when his dad played, but that isn't to say a slow player can't score. Jason Robertson is still slow but damn that kid is an absolute puck magnet. He has more size than Gabe but doesn't really utilize it much either, other than his reach. Robertson is the reason why I think a team takes a chance at Gabe before #20. Gabe could wind up being a better version of Hudler, I think that's the best comparison. Hudler was slow as molasses during winter in Calgary.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
It's expensive in the US, not so much in Canada. If you want an example of a poor Canadian hockey player from BFE, you can start with Tootoo.

None of the Canadian college guys I knew came from a rich background, their parents were school teachers and such. Maybe not Tootoo poor, but certainly not rich.

Anyways, back to the subject, watch Gabe's skating. The kids that improve drastically usually have technique flaws, bad mechanics, stance issues, or don't use their edges properly. Gabe doesn't have those issues, his legs are just slow.

Hockey is a faster game than when his dad played, but that isn't to say a slow player can't score. Jason Robertson is still slow but damn that kid is an absolute puck magnet. He has more size than Gabe but doesn't really utilize it much either, other than his reach. Robertson is the reason why I think a team takes a chance at Gabe before #20. Gabe could wind up being a better version of Hudler, I think that's the best comparison. Hudler was slow as molasses during winter in Calgary.

I don't think it makes much sense to compare the game to 10 - 20 years ago, or so.

Perreault can score and if the team thinks they can work with his skating or don't see it as a red flag they could certainly take him.

Though, skating has been an inportant thing for Francis in building this team and drafting as well.

So let's see what they'll do on Wednesday.

Being an ex-Sharks fan, I find a really hard time saying this but, I trust our team's pick, whoever that may be at 20. Even if it's a "who?" pick.

Well yeah. They've done a good job drafthing so far.
Also, I mean, what other choice do we have, right? :D

• Haha
Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Here's an interesting site out of Calgary that provides a consensus top 32 players by combining the results from 12 leading hockey publications, #20 is Musty, but the way.

According to this, Cristall, Willander, Ritchie and Gulyayev would still be available as well.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't think it makes much sense to compare the game to 10 - 20 years ago, or so.

Perreault can score and if the team thinks they can work with his skating or don't see it as a red flag they could certainly take him.

Though, skating has been an inportant thing for Francis in building this team and drafting as well.

Well that's just because of my age, lol. But hockey is cheaper in other places, this state has no ice rinks. I played hockey in Michigan, there's 18 rinks in the Detroit area and I'm only counting immediate suburbs.

As for Gabe, given his stats, if skating wasn't an issue he'd be ranked above his teammates because he outscored them, He set the NTDP record for scoring this season. So obviously the pundits think it's an issue, we'll see how the NHL scouts feel about it. It only takes one team to fall in love....

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Here's an interesting site out of Calgary that provides a consensus top 32 players by combining the results from 12 leading hockey publications, #20 is Musty, but the way.

I do think that top-20 is going to cover most of the picks that do fall into that range.

Some players in that 21+ range that could fall into the top-20 are:

But
Willander
Stenberg
Ritchie

Some players in the top 20 that could fall outside are:

Perreault
Sale
Honzek
Yager

At some point teams are going to start swinging for high-end (ceiling) over safety OR draft for need (likely D-men) and I feel that is very likely to make things interesting.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Well that's just because of my age, lol. But hockey is cheaper in other places, this state has no ice rinks. I played hockey in Michigan, there's 18 rinks in the Detroit area and I'm only counting immediate suburbs.

As for Gabe, given his stats, if skating wasn't an issue he'd be ranked above his teammates because he outscored them, He set the NTDP record for scoring this season. So obviously the pundits think it's an issue, we'll see how the NHL scouts feel about it. It only takes one team to fall in love....
Depends on how scouts are rating the players too. Black Book, which is fairly reputable, has Perreault at 9OA despite outlining concerns over his skating, size and athleticism. That is how they rate the other aspects of his game.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Depends on how scouts are rating the players too. Black Book, which is fairly reputable, has Perreault at 9OA despite outlining concerns over his skating, size and athleticism. That is how they rate the other aspects of his game.
Where he gets picked depends on which team falls in love with him. I doubt #9 because that's Detroit, and they'll probably go with a center. I think he'll be gone before 20 though.

I don't think it matters to the Kraken, he really doesn't fit the style of play. I think Moore is the player Francis wants, but he won't fall that far either.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I do think that top-20 is going to cover most of the picks that do fall into that range.

Some players in that 21+ range that could fall into the top-20 are:

But
Willander
Stenberg
Ritchie

Some players in the top 20 that could fall outside are:

Perreault
Sale
Honzek
Yager

At some point teams are going to start swinging for high-end (ceiling) over safety OR draft for need (likely D-men) and I feel that is very likely to make things interesting.
Willander would be a pretty solid pick, not sure about the others.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Where he gets picked depends on which team falls in love with him. I doubt #9 because that's Detroit, and they'll probably go with a center. I think he'll be gone before 20 though.

I don't think it matters to the Kraken, he really doesn't fit the style of play. I think Moore is the player Francis wants, but he won't fall that far either.
Well .. if our scouts rank players weighted heavily on the style of play, then yes. I am genuinely not sure what factors come into play when teams build their lists. Sure, style of play should be one of the factors, but with the type of players that were picked in the expansion draft and even over the first two drafts, I don't think if it is that big of a factor.
Willander would be a pretty solid pick, not sure about the others.
I am a massive fan of But. The only reason he has been projected low is because of the Russian factor. I honestly don't see many issues with his game, and am fairly certain he would be top-10 if he were NOT Russian. Willander has been a later riser but is likely to be gone before we pick. Ritchie is pretty high (top-15) on some lists that I have seen. If the style of play is a big factor, he is a very good pick for the Kraken. While his skating and agility are only above-average, he still showed improvement this season despite playing through injuries.

At the end of the day, there are going to be some question marks with whoever we draft. Really comes down to if the team deems them fixable or not.

Reactions: majormajor

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Well .. if our scouts rank players weighted heavily on the style of play, then yes. I am genuinely not sure what factors come into play when teams build their lists. Sure, style of play should be one of the factors, but with the type of players that were picked in the expansion draft and even over the first two drafts, I don't think if it is that big of a factor.
Haven't all of the picks so far been above average skaters? Or maybe it's just the ones I'm familiar with?

Edit: I'm looking at his Carolina picks and his early picks are all good skaters, Necas, Aho, etc

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think RF values speed, too, or, maybe, sneaky speed is a better description. As this team has been put together, I never once thought "wow, we're a fast team." But as it turns out, we are among the faster teams in the league and it has won us games. I doubt we pick a guy in the first round with skating issues.

Reactions: Kat Predator

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019

Well yeah. They've done a good job drafthing so far.
Also, I mean, what other choice do we have, right? :D
Just adding that skating and speed are very important for the system we're running. I don't think we're going to rate a player with skating issues as high as some other teams might.

Reactions: kihei

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
A couple more mock drafts.

Flo Hockey(2 rounds)

#20 - Braden Yager - C/Moose Jaw
#50 - Carson Bjarnason - G/Brandon Wheat Kings
#52 - Koehn Ziemmer - RW/Prince George Cougars
#57 - Beau Akey - RHD/Barrie Colts

I would not mind that one.

Jason Bukala(Sportsnet)

#20 - Gavin Brindley - RW

SportingNews

#20 - Lukas Dragicevic - D/Tri-City

Don't really like that one.

Yahoo

#20 - Dmitri Simashev - LHD/Lokomotiv Yaroslavil

Daily Faceoff

#20 - Quentin Musty - LW/Sudbury

Bleacher Report

SportsNaut

ClutchPoints

#20 - Eduard Sale - LW/Brno

Lines(7 rounds)

#20 - Calum Ritchie - C
#50 - Oscar Fisker Moelgaard - C
#52 - Nico Myatovic - LW
#57 - Jacob Fowler - G

The Score

ESPN

BTW: For everyone hoping for "Trader Ron" tonight.
So far in his career as a GM in both Carolina and Seattle Ron Francis trade record at NHL entry drafts looks like this.

Trade Up. 1
2022 --> traded picks #117 + #132 for pick #91

Trade Down: 0

So unless he does a °180 I don't think we'll see much of a trade.

Reactions: kihei

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Dragicivec is a reach at 20. Would LOVE to see Yager at 20, Musty at 20 seems good as well.

Yeah, not a fan of Dragicevic at #20.

BTW:
I somehow wouldn't be surprised if Eduard Sales ends up being the pick.

Our head scout(Robert Kron) is Czech and certainly knows the kid and Sale does have a lot of talent that might just need a little longer to develop.
Francis has also shown to not worry about something like that back in Caroline when he took Martin Necas.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yeah, not a fan of Dragicevic at #20.

BTW:
I somehow wouldn't be surprised if Eduard Sales ends up being the pick.

Our head scout(Robert Kron) is Czech and certainly knows the kid and Sale does have a lot of talent that might just need a little longer to develop.
Francis has also shown to not worry about something like that back in Caroline when he took Martin Necas.
Any time they talk about a D-man being a 4th forward it really worries me. I have read that about Dragicevic across multiple scouting reports. If he rounds off his D game a bit, he could be a Karlsson lite but that is a big if.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Any time they talk about a D-man being a 4th forward it really worries me. I have read that about Dragicevic across multiple scouting reports. If he rounds off his D game a bit, he could be a Karlsson lite but that is a big if.

Everything I've heard about him is sliding down draft boards and not being a first round talent in this draft.

BTW:
That "Karlsson lite" thing is something I take as seriously as every center prospect that can't score(but somewhat tries on defense) being Bergeron. :D

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Everything I've heard about him is sliding down draft boards and not being a first round talent in this draft.

BTW:
That "Karlsson lite" thing is something I take as seriously as every center prospect that can't score(but somewhat tries on defense) being Bergeron. :D
Ha ha. Yeah. I think Karlsson-lite or Bergeron-lite is what many people want to hear. It's a good sales pitch .. :D

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I hope Francis can swing something with TBL to get the #37 that they just acquired. That is the only pick they have in the 1st 3 rounds, and hopefully we can use our combination of 2nd round pick+ to move to that spot. Give them more picks.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I hope Francis can swing something with TBL to get the #37 that they just acquired. That is the only pick they have in the 1st 3 rounds, and hopefully we can use our combination of 2nd round pick+ to move to that spot. Give them more picks.

Like I've posted before, Francis has only made one move on Draft Day his whole GM career.

Though, I wouldn't mind that.

BTW: Pretty good article by Sound of Hockey, once again.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think there is about a 50% chance that after Francis announces our first round pick, a chorus of us are going to go, "Damn, he could have traded down and still got that guy."

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
I think there is about a 50% chance that after Francis announces our first round pick, a chorus of us are going to go, "Damn, he could have traded down and still got that guy."

Especially with this draft. seems like anyone from 20-50 can be had anywhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad