2023 NHL Entry Draft Discussion - One Month Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Your consolidated rankings make me think that if Wilander and Simashev are both still available when the Canucks are up, it'd be worthwhile to risk trading down a few spots in hopes that one will still be there at, say, 15.
I’d be hesitant to do that unless is was pretty much foolproof with four players still available that they were high on. If both those guys you mentioned get taken from 11-14 then you could be losing a ton of value just to gain a second round pick.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Your consolidated rankings make me think that if Wilander and Simashev are both still available when the Canucks are up, it'd be worthwhile to risk trading down a few spots in hopes that one will still be there at, say, 15.

The problem with the rankings is that they don’t account for organizational or team preferences. That’s a big reason why defencemen seemingly shoot up in the draft as there becomes a rush to grab them before they are gone. It’s also a problem of consolidation in that they make it look like a consensus when the actual draft is the exact opposite.

So with the Canucks only having the one pick and, potentially, being just outside the first two tiers of players it may make sense to just grab a player they value the most given the inherent risk of not getting that player later.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
My gut feeling is the Canucks are going to select a D man..ASP,Reinbacher or Willander..one of them will be available.

Will have a better idea when Bob McK final list comes out on Thursday.

Reactions: VIPettersson

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
My gut feeling is the Canucks are going to select a D man..ASP,Reinbacher or Willander..one of them will be available.

Will have a better idea when Bob McK final list comes out on Thursday.

If they can't get one of the forwards they value I think it's a going to happen and the list of forwards would be very small and most likely taken by 11. The odds of aD are very high.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
The problem with the rankings is that they don’t account for organizational or team preferences. That’s a big reason why defencemen seemingly shoot up in the draft as there becomes a rush to grab them before they are gone. It’s also a problem of consolidation in that they make it look like a consensus when the actual draft is the exact opposite.

So with the Canucks only having the one pick and, potentially, being just outside the first two tiers of players it may make sense to just grab a player they value the most given the inherent risk of not getting that player later.
I recognize, of course, that there's a risk. It's an opportunity to add to what remains a woefully thin prospect pool, and I think the risk would be worth taking. But who knows what management is thinking.

Reactions: Vector

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I’d be hesitant to do that unless is was pretty much foolproof with four players still available that they were high on. If both those guys you mentioned get taken from 11-14 then you could be losing a ton of value just to gain a second round pick.

If they all get taken early (11-14) some great options will be squeezed to 15. Names like Barlow, Wood, Danielson etc will be there at 15. Names, many people in here would be happy with at 11.

Reactions: Lupuls Grit

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I have a sneaky suspicion Willander is going to rise big time on Thursday, and Reinbacher is going to fall.

The more and more I watch them play Willander seems like the better prospect, and the best defenseman in the draft. Would not surprise me if teams picking in the 1st round feel the same way.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
If they all get taken early (11-14) some great options will be squeezed to 15. Names like Barlow, Wood, Danielson etc will be there at 15. Names, many people in here would be happy with at 11.
I wouldn’t be happy if we trade down from 11 and miss out on Willander and Shimashev in the meantime and end up with a second line winger like Barlow, a 2/3 C like Danielson and Wood will likely be gone by 15.

If Willander and Shimashev are gone at 11, then I’d consider trading down and taking a C like Danielson, Stenberg, or Ritchie around 15.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Willander will be pick unless someone drops IMO. We desperately need a guy like Willander in the system.
Willander is the lowest ranked of ASP,Reinbacher...The latter two have a higher ceiling (1st pairing D men) than Willander,according to a number of experts.

But hey, if Canuck scouts think Willander is the guy ..so be it.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Willander is the lowest ranked of ASP,Reinbacher...The latter two have a higher ceiling (1st pairing D men) than Willander,according to a number of experts.

But hey, if Canuck scouts think Willander is the guy ..so be it.

I find the 1st pairing ASP projections as strange. Everything I’ve read and seen screams he’s a guy who will get lots of PP time to inflate his point totals but have sheltered minutes and deployment at 5v5.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Re: Willander, I would prefer to trade back and get a second and draft Simashev. I think he is a better prospect than Willander at this point and a great fit for this team. He will be playing in the KHL for the next two years, which is no problem for me development wise. I think Detroit would do 17 + 41 for 11 and it is pretty safe Simashev would be there at 17.

Reactions: Lindgren

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I find the 1st pairing ASP projections as strange. Everything I’ve read and seen screams he’s a guy who will get lots of PP time to inflate his point totals but have sheltered minutes and deployment at 5v5.

I think there’s definitely a chance he could be an Adam Fox but these guys with Adam Fox upside tend more often to turn into Rasmus Sandins.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
“While the scouting community at large expects the Canucks to prioritize selecting a right-handed defender or a centremen with the 11th overall pick, all things being equal, the club has shown interest in a couple of high upside Russian products in Michkov, a scoring winger, and Dmitri Simashev, a left-handed defenseman, whom they interviewed during the pre-draft process.”

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Speaking of Simashev…

again, i don’t follow this stuff much but i wonder if it’s essentially just that top 8-9 group of forwards in their list and the three big D. whoever is there, they’ll be happy to take

though i can already smell the dialogue after one of those big names drops to 17 bc of the hronek trade

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
again, i don’t follow this stuff much but i wonder if it’s essentially just that top 8-9 group of forwards in their list and the three big D. whoever is there, they’ll be happy to take

though i can already smell the dialogue after one of those big names drops to 17 bc of the hronek trade

I imagine they have tiers and that’s how they’ll approach draft day. Like they have the Reinbacher, Michkov, Dvorsky group where if any of those guys fall they jump all over them. Then the next tier is like Willander, Simashev, Benson, Barlow, and Danielson and they are comfortable trading down with Nashville, as an example, and grabbing someone from that group. Something like that.

Reactions: arttk and Peen

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004

To me there is a tier to this.

Tier 1
Bedard

Tier 1.5
Michkov

Tier 2
Carlsson
Fantilli
Smith

Tier 3 - Forwards
Benson
Dvorsky
Danielson
Leonard
Moore
Perreault
Wood

Tier 3 - Defense
Reinbacher
Willander
Simashev
ASP

I think the only players set in stone is the top 4 (Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Smith), what happens from #5 onwards in anyone's guess. This might be the deepest draft since 03, would have been really nice to have our 2nd round...

Reactions: tradervik
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad