2023 NHL Entry Draft Discussion - One Month Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I wouldn’t be surprised if the Canucks have ASP ranked in their top ten.

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Do we have a fourth rounder? I suspect that may be our first pick in this upcoming draft as they sort their books.

Reactions: Lindgren

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I’d actually be quite surprised if he’s the guy they take.

How come?

Assuming they want a dman and Reinbacher is gone by their pick, ASP probably has the highest upside compared to Willander, Simashev, Gulyayev

The whole arguement that ASP is redundant because we have QH is so silly - draft the best player. It probably will be a few years til hes ready and you never know what may change. You can always trade from a position of strength to fill another hole somewhere. If ASP develops as predicted, he will be a very high valued trade chip

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
How come?

Assuming they want a dman and Reinbacher is gone by their pick, ASP probably has the highest upside compared to Willander, Simashev, Gulyayev

The whole arguement that ASP is redundant because we have QH is so silly - draft the best player. It probably will be a few years til hes ready and you never know what may change. You can always trade from a position of strength to fill another hole somewhere. If ASP develops as predicted, he will be a very high valued trade chip
Agreed and the fact of the matter is that even if we do have a high octane, point producing machine on the backend, not everyone does. If we wanted to currently trade for a prospect who was right handed, and put up gawdy numbers, and looked excellent against older competition what would we have to give up? Add value to the organization and figure it out after, if ASP is there at 11 he is a damn fine choice

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
How come?

The BPA at 11 is likely a winger, from looks of it. That would be the reason to pass on ASP, not redundancy.

I’m curious about how Nate Danielson is connected to the Canucks via rumour? That’s the type of player I can see them targeting for need.

Lekkerimaki not having a good year could colour their perceptions for this draft (wrongly, imo). I’m interested to see if they shy away from small wingers given that recent experience? Should be interesting.

Reactions: wetcoast and DFAC

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
ASP giving me John Klingberg vibes. It means nothing it's like a gambler's fallacy just my feelings.

So with that in mind, take ASP.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
The BPA at 11 is likely a winger, from looks of it. That would be the reason to pass on ASP, not redundancy.

I’m curious about how Nate Danielson is connected to the Canucks via rumour? That’s the type of player I can see them targeting for need.

Lekkerimaki not having a good year could colour their perceptions for this draft (wrongly, imo). I’m interested to see if they shy away from small wingers given that recent experience? Should be interesting.

Danielson is an interesting one - seems like a polarizing player. People either love him or hate him. To me, he seems like a safe, high floor but low ceiling player.

Are there any other leaks into who the Canucks like aside from ASP?

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
For those interested, here is Corey Pronman’s latest write up on Nate Danielson who he has ranked at 7.

Skating - Average
Puck Skills - Above Average
Hockey Sense - Average
Compete - Above Average
Shot - Above Average

Player Comparable - Elias Lindholm

Background - Danielson was named co-captain of his WHL team during his draft season and has played a big all-situations role for Brandon. He was one of the top play-drivers in the WHL this season and was named a second team All-Star in the eastern division of the WHL. Danielson was over a point per game the prior season. He was invited to Canada's U20 camp in the summer and their U18 camp the summer prior. He was the No. 5 pick in his WHL Bantam Draft.

Analysis - Danielson is a well-rounded center who has a lot of NHL traits. He's a big body who skates and competes well, which when combined with his offensive touch, allows him to be effective in a lot of situations. He has an excellent stick, and is able to beat defenders with skill at NHL speeds often. He makes a lot of plays with pace but also shows the vision and shot threat to run a power play off the edge. Danielson is a competitive two-way center who wins a good share of puck battles and can kill penalties. He looks like a potential high-in-the-lineup all-situations center in the NHL.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Makes you wonder why he's never made the National team?

Typically players with Danielson's profile are more likely to bust. Jack of all trades master of none and he's a 04 one of the older players in this draft.

Not saying he will and i do like him i just question the top6 upside and at 11 that has to be a non starter if the scouts think the same. I wasn't able to watch much game footage of Danielson so i'm on the fence but his ES scoring as a 04 is unimpressive

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Still a fan of Leonard Moore Yager Reinbacher or even Wood if he's still around. These guys have excellent skating and high end skills that will translate to the pace of NHL hockey while Wood is such an enticing package of size and skill improving at leaps and bounds it's hard to overlook

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
How come?

Other than Kuzma, everything we've heard is that the Canucks are not that enamoured with ASP. It's early season for these rumours and reports so that may shift closer to the draft.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Every time I dig into this draft class I wish we had another 1st or 2nd, then I remember at one point we had both and I get frustrated all over again.
It's ok. We only used it to acquire a damaged dman.

Regarding ASP, he basically checks all the boxes:

1. Swedish? Check

That's basically it. Just a bonus he's a RHD.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
edit: n/m don't want to derail the thread.

With #11, I feel like we're right in the spot where the pick isn't automatic. Danielson and ASP have some very clear risk to them, whereas guys projected to go immediately before like Reinbacher and Leonard have quite a bit less IMO.

I'm hopeful someone will go off the board though. There's always one.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
May have to change the green on the Canucks uni's to yellow, considering the way our drafting has been going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad