GDT: 2023 NHL Entry Draft - DAY 2

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
650 right now basically saying the player development is more important than actually drafting skill. This is where we are lol.
Mike Gillis poured his heart and soul into developing Steve Bernier, Mason Raymond ,Brendan Gaunce and Zack Kassian. You cant get blood from a stone.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Drafted 5 of 7 picks that were not even draft ranked but we can go off the grid as we are elite drafters for a team with multiple examples of success and Stanley Cup wins …. Wait
Craig Button had Willander at #8 and above:

Leonard
Dvorsky
Benson
Wood

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Mike Gillis poured his heart and soul into developing Steve Bernier, Mason Raymond ,Brendan Gaunce and Zack Kassian. You cant get blood from a stone.
And speaking of turning 'blood' into 'stones'.....all the 'player development' in the world wouldn't have helped Nicklas Jenson; Taylor Ellington; Patrick White; Alex Mallet; Alex Grenier or Patrick McNally make an impact on the Canucks.

And even high picks like Michael Grabner and Cody Hodgson only got better after they left Vancouver.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014

Leonard
Dvorsky
Benson
Wood

Using Craig Button's rankings as your argument works against you lmao.

This draft, with the exception of Brzustewicz and Willander (Would've preferred Benson, but doesn't make this a bad pick - just not BPA), has been a disaster.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

This draft, with the exception of Brzustewicz and Willander (Would've preferred Benson, but doesn't make this a bad pick - just not BPA), has been a disaster.

Nothing that happens after the 3rd round is ever a 'disaster'. Rounds 4-7 basically don't matter and the team could draft Allvin's grandparents and it wouldn't really change much.

5 years from now there will be 1 or 2 players out of the 130 selected in those rounds who actually move the needle.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Yeah so I guess we f***ed this up after the first two picks? Seems like a lot of reaches...

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Nothing that happens after the 3rd round is ever a 'disaster'. Rounds 4-7 basically don't matter and the team could draft Allvin's grandparents and it wouldn't really change much.

5 years from now there will be 1 or 2 players out of the 130 selected in those rounds who actually move the needle.

Yes it does lmao - you’re taking guys with those picks that you could sign as UFAs instead of getting some actual kids that have potential who you skipped on drafting to take overagers with bad production.

If you’re not giving yourself a realistic chance you’re don’t even have a chance at getting that needle mover - for a team with the prospect pipe line we have it’s asinine to try to justify those picks as “rounds 4-7 basically don’t matter”.

Pretty big exception there don't yah think?

I mean sure, but at that point if you’re going to f*** around and throw away picks consolidate them and try to see if a team will give up a higher pick in exchange for a package of lower picks - literally anything other than what we did. Don’t love the Willander pick either because we definitely drafted for needs over BPA there.

Reactions: Raistlin

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

And speaking of turning 'blood' into 'stones'.....all the 'player development' in the world wouldn't have helped Nicklas Jenson; Taylor Ellington; Patrick White; Alex Mallet; Alex Grenier or Patrick McNally make an impact on the Canucks.

And even high picks like Michael Grabner and Cody Hodgson only got better after they left Vancouver.

Not defending this draft based on the development argument, but just wanted to point out that because our development likely was done poorly under previous management, doesn't mean that development doesn't work if done right. I do like moving the team to Abbotsford and the investment of top talent to surround our prospects and hopefully this results in better development than previous regimes, because I do think that development WHEN DONE RIGHT can make a big difference.

Yeah so I guess we f***ed this up after the first two picks? Seems like a lot of reaches...

Yeah, I think it was Granato who made a comment that after some point if they've drafted too many of a type or position then they'll look to do something different, but I'd just rather (after the first three rounds) make big swings for pure upside. The odds of getting anything useful after the first three rounds are so small you're dealing with lottery ticket odds, so might as well swing for the fences.

The first few rounds I do think the idea of a reasonable floor should be factored in, especially the first, since you can't afford to walk away these days with nothing and only 1st's generally have good odds of amounting to anything.

Reactions: mossey3535

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Yeah like I said before I don't really follow the prospects but from you guy's posts and some external articles it seems like they are reaching for weird players, not swinging for the fences which I agree they should be doing.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Yes it does lmao - you’re taking guys with those picks that you could sign as UFAs instead of getting some actual kids that have potential who you skipped on drafting to take overagers with bad production.

Signing them as a UFA takes up a contract slot though. By selecting their rights, we get an exclusive 2 year (or in the case of the NCAA bound guys, up to 4 year) look at how they develop before determining whether to use up one of our 50 contracts.

It would be a lot different if they were taking CHL double overagers who have no other alternative but to go pro in some form and would need a contract almost immediately to do so.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

If you’re not giving yourself a realistic chance you’re don’t even have a chance at getting that needle mover - for a team with the prospect pipe line we have it’s asinine to try to justify those picks as “rounds 4-7 basically don’t matter”.

I mean sure, but at that point if you’re going to f*** around and throw away picks consolidate them and try to see if a team will give up a higher pick in exchange for a package of lower picks - literally anything other than what we did. Don’t love the Willander pick either because we definitely drafted for needs over BPA there.

It doesn’t matter.

95% of the value you get from the draft is in the first 3 rounds.

Saying that you like the high picks but the draft is a ‘disaster’ because you don’t like the later ones is just nonsensical.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022

Har har. Everyone has their critics.

But all I was basing it on was his record on Virtanen and Joulevi. He had them both further down than most.

Judging the draft on the rounds that don't matter is rather funny.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Obviously I hope that all of these draft-picks represent well but this draft after the first few picks does open up the mgmt. team to future criticisms. The value of picks 4 and on really don't look like "value" pics.

VIPettersson

Apr 9, 2018

why even trade schenn away then

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
I think it will be less disappointing this way, than getting all the hyped players from all the armchair scouts in the later rounds that everyone watches closer than they should. Just to have them all fizzle out.

Now nobody has any expectations for these later round picks and we will forget about them. Let them pleasantly surprise us. We've had our share of BPA/fallers that burn us too. Like Schroeder.

Lind, Gadjovich, Depietro, and Rathbone. All hype picks from 2017. All armchair scout picks. None making a difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: mossey3535

Sedinery

May 24, 2021

Leonard
Dvorsky
Benson
Wood
Literally only guy out there that had Willander that high, he also had asp at 5th

Thats why he is not a gm anymore

Not that I do like Willander, but Benson was a better pick …. Take the best player available

By the way, follow Bob McKenzie’s picks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad