GDT: 2023 NHL Entry Draft - Day 01

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Yeah, I think the biggest take away from this draft for the Canucks, is that they aren't rewarded with a surplus of picks when they're playing poorly and so every pick is pulled apart at the seams and argued to death.

It's always a crap shoot and it's very likely a lot of these players don't go on to do much in the league. The more picks you have, the better your chances of hitting (duh), but we've got a franchise that would rather swim upstream in this regard. Doing the opposite of what everyone else thinks is sensible can actually work at times. It's just rare that it does. Being buyers at a point when doing so is the most costly, or trading your first and second round draft picks when you're among the worst teams in the league is poor risk management.

I'm certainly not against spending draft capital, but getting it back is important for a number of reasons. You can argue if the Avs and Blues picked the right players, but they did well with trades and drafting today while both are adapting to their circumstances.

Doing the opposite of what everyone else thinks is sensible can actually work at times. It's just rare.

Plus, I'd say that a big part of supporing a sports team is the draft and following the transition of those players into the league. It builds a strong bond with the club and invites younger fans to get involved. I think clubs neglect this aspect at their peril.

It’s too bad the Leafs ruined Frankly Colorado’s development. I thought he could have been a decent defence man.
That's close to what I thought I was reading when I first saw the post. lol

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Biggest reaches in the draft according to the consensus rankings:

East Cowan | 69 | 28 | (41)
Theo Lindstein | 45 | 29 | (16)
Daniil But | 27 | 12 | (15)
Dmitry Simashev | 13 | 6 | (13)
Oliver Bonk | 33 | 22 | (11)

Biggest fallers according to the consensus rankings:

Oliver Moore | 9 | 19 | (-10)
Gabriel Perreault | 13 | 23 | -10)

VIPettersson

Apr 9, 2018

Where did the consensus ranking have Cristall? Not the hugest fan of Cristall but out of the 1st round ouch.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

I can't believe he fell that far. Him or Moore. Perrault should wear #23 (my favourite number) and torch the league with a vengeance.

Reactions: VIPettersson

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I can't believe he fell that far. Him or Moore. Perrault should wear #23 (my favourite number) and torch the league with a vengeance.

There definitely was a trend of smaller players falling. Gavin Brindley is another little guy that was projected to go in the first and had great offensive stats but fell.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Detroit is laughing all the way to the bank. They picked Nate Danielson at ninth; and then with the 17th pick via the Canucks and the Islanders, picked Axel Sandin Pellikka.

So they get one of the best centers in the draft, and also an offensive d-man replacement for Hronek; and they still have the Canucks second rounder on day two of the draft.

It's a good old fashioned 'fleecing' pure and simple.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Detroit is laughing all the way to the bank. They picked Nate Danielson at ninth; and then with the 17th pick via the Canucks and the Islanders, picked Axel Sandin Pellikka.

So they get one of the best centers in the draft, and also an offensive d-man replacement for Hronek; and they still have the Canucks second rounder on day two of the draft.

Brutal. Absolutely brutal.

We couldve walked away from this draft with Benson + Barlow/Moore + 2nd and really restocked the prospect cabinet

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
My deep hope is that the Canucks find a way to move up to having a fairly high 2nd round pick and get Cristall.

If we can get a stalwart on the back-end AND take a swing on a potential home run offensive prospect in one draft then I will be thrilled.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
The morning after—I am more comfortable with the Willander pick.

The Canucks have been chasing a quality RD for ages. How many futile trade proposals have we seen over the last two years for Schneider, Dobson, etc? Look how it has worked out with us signing a UFA like Tyler Myers to fill that organizational gap? Look at how much we had to pay to trade for Hronek?

Quality defensemen—especially RD—are incredibly hard to find. Trading for one means breaking the bank.

Wingers on the other hand are far easily to acquire on the open market. Look at how little some quality forwards have been traded for over the last couple of seasons. Benson could very well be an incredible player—but finding quality winger will always be half the challenge of finding a quality defenseman

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Was Kassian the Scholastic Player of the Year? Barlow is a high integrity, hard working kid. He is a phenomenal pick for the Jets!
I was going by the fact that he looks like Kassian in his draft +3. Kassian on draft day was baby-faced by comparison:
1688044644135.png

Reactions: Lupuls Grit

Superlative Soup

Treasured and Marveled
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan

Was an awful trade at the time and looks even worse now.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver

Canucks fans would be crying if that was the picks they ended up with

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Love how this franchise which is annually low on draft picks tries to acquire additional picks when the price is most inflated...on the draft floor!!!

2nd round picks matter, no one gives a sh*t about additional 3rd or 4th rounders!

Allvin is picking up where Jimbo left, leaving this fanbase underwhelmed once again.

Yzerman is a modern winner, Allvin is a puppet for a dinosaur who was a winner prior to the Big Bang.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Love how this franchise which is annually low on draft picks tries to acquire additional picks when the price is most inflated...on the draft floor!!!

2nd round picks matter, no one gives a sh*t about additional 3rd or 4th rounders!

Allvin is picking up where Jimbo left, leaving this fanbase underwhelmed once again.

Yzerman is a modern winner, Allvin is a puppet for a dinosaur who was a winner prior to the Big Bang.
Sigh, Yzerman is the most overrated GM in the game. Nobody wanted Nate or ASP. He wasted another two 1st round picks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad