GDT: 2023 NHL Draft

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I am inclined to believe that everyone's source on that whole tidbit was Porty's initial story. I'm not convinced anyone else had additional context.
Maybe I'm just looking into every little detail too much, but when JD was talking about who they were expecting to take if Fantilli was gone he did say "Smith and Carlsson"

While it's more than likely just how it came it out, it makes me think Smith was higher up on their list or maybe he personally was pushing for Smith. He seems to think Smith is going to blow people away next season.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Maybe I'm just looking into every little detail too much, but when JD was talking about who they were expecting to take if Fantilli was gone he did say "Smith and Carlsson"

While it's more than likely just how it came it out, it makes me think Smith was higher up on their list or maybe he personally was pushing for Smith. He seems to think Smith is going to blow people away next season.
Yeah, after I watched that interview just based on how enthusiastically he praised Smith that was the way they were going before Anaheim made their choice. They obviously had it as Bedard, Fantilli, Smith, and Carlsson. Only time will tell if they were right. I will say I can't wait to see the behind-the-scenes on the draft for this one.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I am inclined to believe that everyone's source on that whole tidbit was Porty's initial story. I'm not convinced anyone else had additional context.

Speaking of Fantilli, Smith, and Carlsson, he said "we had them like this" (holds fingers together tightly).

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I know people are (rightfully) skeptical of porty, but it does appear we were going to take will smith if Fantilli didn’t fall.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I know people are (rightfully) skeptical of porty, but it does appear we were going to take will smith if Fantilli didn’t fall.

...because JD said his name first during one segment of that interview? Obligatory offseason remark here.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
No. almost all insiders have been saying this

To me it sounds more like they're guessing that way. "I lean towards them taking Will Smith" "I hear they love Will Smith", "Portzline says they love Will Smith", etc... It's not firm reporting. So from that I guess they would take Will Smith but we don't know.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
To me it sounds more like they're guessing that way. "I lean towards them taking Will Smith" "I hear they love Will Smith", "Portzline says they love Will Smith", etc... It's not firm reporting. So from that I guess they would take Will Smith but we don't know.
Bucci said he was talking to scouts and they thought we were taking will smith. So, no, not all are just piggy backing Portzline

Reactions: JacketsDavid

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Bucci said he was talking to scouts and they thought we were taking will smith. So, no, not all are just piggy backing Portzline
Didnt he say Smith was the pick over Fantilli after Carlsson was selected? I could be wrong but I feel like I remember you or someone else posting that

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Not all Portzline but no one said for sure the pick was Smith, except Hedger who also thought it was Smith over Fantilli. So yeah, it was probably Smith over Carlsson, but we don't know for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad