GDT: 2023 NHL Draft

Pierre Luc Grand Pierre

Sep 28, 2017
Ohio
For what it’s worth

So ... the overrated predators steal Michov and reach for but(t). Sound the alarm!!!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    227.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Haha
Reactions: Koira

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Its possible. I, for just a moment, thought maybe he was crashing the kids moment...I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I've been thinking about Jarmo's draft strategy here, as it relates to the small guys with boom/bust potential. If you look at it from a long term perspective, I think it makes sense. As of this moment, here is the list of guys that will realistically be around, or already have high value, for at least the next 4-5+ years:

Fantilli
Gaudreau
Johnson
Marchenko
Laine
Voronkov
Sillinger
----- (question marks/trade pieces)
Texier
Chinakov
Dumais
Jenner

Werenski
Jiricek
Severson
Svozil
Mateychuk
------ (question marks/trade pieces)
Provorov
Ceulemans

That's 18 players that will either play for us, or already have decently high value, only counting Fantilli from this year's draft. With this many guys close to the lineup, you can afford to take some swings. If anything, the way I see it is that these are the types of guys that could suddenly "pop" in juniors/college and become bonafide trade pieces, in the same way Abramov and Jonathan Davidsson did. I wouldn't be surprised if the calculation was looking for guys who have the highest probability to become legit trade pieces in a few years, when we're looking at the window hopefully opening.

Reactions: Viqsi

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I want to draft well regarded players with size. Guys with 2nd and 3rd round grades with legit chances to be NHL players. I don’t want to use 4 straight picks on undersized guys with skill. Maybe one of those could have been used on a 6’4” guy who skates well and seems to have good positioning, but doesn’t have a great shot so he is not a 1st round talent. I’m not advocating for drafting a guy who is 6’7” 230 lbs who can’t skate. I am not advocating for using every pick on big guys.

When someone offers to trade us a 2nd pair D on a decent contract who can play defense and has an intimidating presence for Jordan Dumais and a 3rd rounder I will believe you can easily trade for size.

I would have preferred the CBJ draft someone like 6'2 defensive dman Maxim Strbak with the 2nd round pick rather than Gavin Brindley since similar smallish college players can be signed after leaving college rather than drafted.

But if their scouts have good feelings about Gavin and the other smaller forwards, then they have to go with that. Ultimately the draft is about asset acquisition rather than building a team.

If they can develop smallish forwards, then they have valuable assets that can be traded. If William Whitelaw should have been a 1st rounder and his attitude is what caused him to drop, then it's a great pick if the CBJ coaching and development staff can straighten him out. Too bad it wasn't a smooth-skating 6'3 center with attitude issues that dropped to the 3rd round, but likely it's the two issues (attitude, size) and if he was bigger, he would have gone higher.

Teams have to take the best player available, and not limiting that by size could be advantageous when other teams aren't taking the smaller players.

Reactions: CBJx614

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've been thinking about Jarmo's draft strategy here, as it relates to the small guys with boom/bust potential. If you look at it from a long term perspective, I think it makes sense. As of this moment, here is the list of guys that will realistically be around, or already have high value, for at least the next 4-5+ years:

Fantilli
Gaudreau
Johnson
Marchenko
Laine
Voronkov
Sillinger
----- (question marks/trade pieces)
Texier
Chinakov
Dumais
Jenner

Werenski
Jiricek
Severson
Svozil
Mateychuk
------ (question marks/trade pieces)
Provorov
Ceulemans

That's 18 players that will either play for us, or already have decently high value, only counting Fantilli from this year's draft. With this many guys close to the lineup, you can afford to take some swings. If anything, the way I see it is that these are the types of guys that could suddenly "pop" in juniors/college and become bonafide trade pieces, in the same way Abramov and Jonathan Davidsson did. I wouldn't be surprised if the calculation was looking for guys who have the highest probability to become legit trade pieces in a few years, when we're looking at the window hopefully opening.

If in a few years this is a strong team, I personally would have no complaints if we start trading away most of our prospects like the Knights have done.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
If in a few years this is a strong team, I personally would have no complaints if we start trading away most of our prospects like the Knights have done.
Toronto has tried that too with different results. Vegas not being afraid to move on from guys is probably something teams can learn from. Funny enough Toronto should lead the list of teams ready to make a splash with theircore

Reactions: Marioesque

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I prefer the St. Louis way. They have had a 1st round draft pick almost every year despite being a playoff team since 2010-2011. Feels like the better way to do things if youre not one of the tax-heaven cities, or another one of those teams players take discounts for

Reactions: Cowumbus

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I find the value of our next years 1st round draft pick to fascinating.

We don’t need more prospects. We think/hope that pick will be at least mid draft. But anyone we are trading it to is probably going to perceive it to be an early pick with high value.

We should be able to make a good acquisition with it
Other teams' fans probably see the CBJ pick as an early pick, but I don't think NHL teams are blind to how many injuries CBJ had last season. Also, they will have noted adding Fantilli, Provorov, Severson.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Just looked at the dates.. you have a good memory. I watch a lot of LV games. Hope you are right on Olivier. I haven't seen it yet.
I think viewing get skewed because our roster was not put in good spots due to the injuries. I like Oliviers energy and he had more puck skills than I expected. Vegas is a solid team top to bottom and slot people in a position to succeed, we'll be closer to that this year vs last

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad