Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I released my top-32 raiting(not mock draft) so

I have specific view where I understand that part of the 4th group will be picked higher and some of them will be more succesfull players. But all of them have some worries or bust potential. I hope Devils will have late first or early second. Because there are a lot of talented players on this draft. It`s an irony that so talented draft is missed by Devils community.

Thanks for sharing that with us. A great read as always. Any thoughts on who you'd like to see NJ have a realistic shot at in the later second?

Reactions: Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Thanks for sharing that with us. A great read as always. Any thoughts on who you'd like to see NJ have a realistic shot at in the later second?
We should talk about pure potential mostly on my taste.
And there are some rumours Florida interesting in Karpovich as potential pick in the second round. I understand their interest.

Big mobile defenseman with upside on both sides.

Perron is an interesting option as high risk high reward option. He is on the small side and could drop because of it.

I don`t think that Stramel will fall so low, but his lack of consistency and lack of production could scare some gms. Anyway he is and mobile twoway center.

Like @Xirik mentioned, Suniev is interesting for 2-3 round. He is big and have speed and puckhandling abuility. Need to work more on his skating, but again - he isn`t slow. And he has very good hands. Some kind of.. Nolan Foote may be. Not as physical(he can teach), but faster(it`s harder to teach).

@evnted mentioned sawchyn
to add, sawchyn is a nice 2nd round maybe late 1st target. good motor, good competitor, amazing puck skills, ability to read play very effectively. has a bit of snarl to him too, definitely pushes back on guys. kinda reminds me of the frost pick philly made a while back, you're banking on the fact that he was buried on a really deep team, not getting the best linemates or a lot of special teams deployment, and ultimately wasnt able to showcase his true capabilities. he had some really nice flashes of offensive creativity, some impressive assertiveness in his own zone at times too, but nothing really was channeled consistently (plus he can get too cute with his stickhandling). i know the EP team is incredibly high on him

I believe I cant say more than evnted. He could be very good option if available.

Defenseman like Morin could be available, because of combo of mobility and puck skills with normal size, but I don`t like his defensive game. Strbak is good defensive defenseman with good puck work. Would be great if he can work on his skating more. As 2-3 round pick I`m ok with.

Kantserov is intriguing player as potential scoring cube. He is undersized 5`9, but his shot is deadly. And he is good in finding open space in the right time. He is good high risk high reward option for the third round.

Edstrom is a good option if available(I don`t he will). He is a big center with good skating to play physical\interior role.

@Xirik mentioned a couple of goalies. Hrabel and Gajan could be available, Gajan said that Devils were interested in him. I believe Hrabal could be avaiable and Gaian could be as option for later round.
Both are goalies with good size and good international play.

Last edited:

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Not to derail this thread too much, but curious what you didn't like about GT? Too laid back? Not laid back enough? Feel like they were selling you something inauthentic?

I ask because both my wife and I grew up in GT families and supporting GT athletics, had reasonable expectations of acceptance/got in, but chose not to apply/enroll for different reasons and wanted to see what your thoughts were.
More campus vibe than anything. Wasn't really my style and I just didn't really get the same feeling I got at a couple of other schools that I liked a little more. Wasn't really sure what it was in particular, but just couldn't really see myself there. No disrespect to the school, it is a great place, just not for me.

Reactions: Rhodes 81

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
So I looked at players who might be available around our 58th 2nd round pick and I mainly focused on
- Big Power forwards,
-Center that can be a 3C
- top tier goalie
-Shoot for the moon LD

Big power forward or 3C

Danny Nelson- Low chance (#45)
Anton Wahlberg-Medium chance (#40)
Charlie Stramel-Medium Chance (#35)
David Edstrom- Medium chance (#37)
Kalan Lind- good chance (#47)
Aydar Suniev - Good chance (#66)
Noel Nordh- too early? (#77)
Martin Misiak- to early? (#72)
Nico Myatovic- to early? (#56)

Goalies

Hrabel-Low chance (#39)
Augustine-Medium chance (#63)
Bjarnason- Medium chance (#59)
Gajan- High chance/to early? (#60)

I think one of Augustine and Bjarnason should be available

LD
Tristan Bertucci- Medium-High (#82)

6.'2 kid who is the Youngest player in the draft but already shot up the draft rankings this year. Definite potential to be a top 4 D. His negatives are
  • Needs to add bulk and strength to his lanky frame
  • Needs to up his pace to take it to the next level
  • Shot needs improvement
That is all fixable and we did good drafting young draft eligble players and lanky players in the recent past.

Edit- Added thehockeywriters.com prospect profiles to each player listed.

Since Bob McKenzie’s final rankings came out this morning (96 plus 14 HM) I added his rankings to all the players you listed.

Week away from the draft, some of the players I like that would be a good fit at 58 and 80.

Forwards: Juraj Pekarcik (#71), Alex Ciernik (#75), Nick Lardis (#50), Coulson Pitre (#64), Easton Cowan (#53), Martin Misiak (#72), Carey Terrance (#73)

Defense: Aram Minnetian (#74), Caden Price (#67), Tanner Molendyk (#36), Andrew Gibson (#55), Theo Lindstein (#26), Beau Akey (#61)

Goalie: Trey Augustine (#63), Jacob Fowler (#92), Adam Gajan (#60), Scott Ratzlaff (#96)

Stronger than usual talent pool than you'd expect to get in that area of the draft and a lot of players that fit the fast, mobile, attacking style the Devils want to employ.

And to this too. You nailed the range perfectly with these forwards on Bob’s list, though the real draft order will obviously start to stray more from his list after the middle of the first round.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
We should talk about pure potential mostly on my taste.
And there are some rumours Florida interesting in Karpovich as potential pick in the second round. I understand their interest.

Big mobile defenseman with upside on both sides. (NR)

Perron is an interesting option as high risk high reward option. He is on the small side and could drop because of it. (#58)

I don`t think that Stramel will fall so low, but his lack of consistency and lack of production could scare some gms. Anyway he is and mobile twoway center. (#34)

Like @Xirik mentioned, Suniev is interesting for 2-3 round. He is big and have speed and puckhandling abuility. Need to work more on his skating, but again - he isn`t slow. And he has very good hands. Some kind of.. Nolan Foote may be. Not as physical(he can teach), but faster(it`s harder to teach). (#66)

@evnted mentioned sawchyn (#49)

I believe I cant say more than evnted. He could be very good option if available.

Defenseman like Morin could be available, because of combo of mobility and puck skills with normal size, but I don`t like his defensive game. (#46)

Strbak is good defensive defenseman with good puck work. Would be great if he can work on his skating more. As 2-3 round pick I`m ok with. (#33)

Kantserov is intriguing player as potential scoring cube. He is undersized 5`9, but his shot is deadly. And he is good in finding open space in the right time. He is good high risk high reward option for the third round. (#69, nice)

Edstrom is a good option if available(I don`t he will). He is a big center with good skating to play physical\interior role. (#37)

@Xirik mentioned a couple of goalies. Hrabel (#39) and Gajan (#60) could be available, Gajan said that Devils were interested in him. I believe Hrabal could be avaiable and Gaian could be as option for later round.
Both are goalies with good size and good international play.

Everyone gets Bob McKenzie’d! (Even though ya threw me with by starting off with an unranked fella.)

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Everyone gets Bob McKenzie’d! (Even though ya threw me with by starting off with an unranked fella.)

Is it… negative sarcasm? Like “I can read McKenzie too without your posts!”
When you started to being passive aggressive?

Communication through text is a wonderful thing. even completely harmless messages can be interpreted in a completely different way.

I see you like Kantserov too.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Is it… negative sarcasm? Like “I can read McKenzie too without your posts!”
When you started to being passive aggressive?

Communication through text is a wonderful thing. even completely harmless messages can be interpreted in a completely different way.

I don’t actually know what this means. No, it wasn’t sarcasm.

I just looked up where these players were ranked on his list and then added them for context to the recent posts about players who might be available around our pick.

You can read MacKenzie’s article too but the numbers are actually for everyone to see, I assume most people aren’t going to look them up. (I don’t know how many people care but.*shrug*)

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I don’t actually know what this means. No, it wasn’t sarcasm.

I just looked up where these players were ranked on his list and then added them for context to the recent posts about players who might be available around our pick.

You can read MacKenzie’s article too but the numbers are actually for everyone to see, I assume most people aren’t going to look them up. (I don’t know how many people care but.*shrug*)
See, it was a joke from my side. ironic one.

I would add Wahlberg (was mentioned by xirik too), #40 in McKenzie list.
He is good big two way forward with good shot. He looked interesting on international level where I saw him.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
926e5009-c10a-48fe-b90e-fa0760f82fcd.png

Just did my keeper league draft (27 teams x 3 rounds). Knowing it's a terrible year for D, I ended up using three of my four picks on blue liners.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Whatcha get?

Started the draft with #20, #47, #57, #75, and #79. Figured I'd have to decide between one of the second tier forwards or take a home run swing on Michael Hrabal.

Axel Sandin-Pellikka started to drop and I offered 20+57 to move up to a few teams before finding a taker at 17. Hopefully he develops better than Adam Boqvist.

At 47, I took a swing on RW Jayden Perron instead of another D Tanner Molendyk or a goalie project like Adam Gajan. Since goalies are worth a bit too much in our league, Carson Bjarnason and Trey Augustine were long gone.

At 75 I grabbed LD Caden Price. August birthday playing at Kelowna, so maybe a vague similarity to Damon Severson.

At 79 I took LD Andrew Strathmann as a bit of an inside joke since that's the same name as one of my favorite beer league teammates. He'll join Perron at North Dakota eventually.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
After running Draft Simulator dozens of times with Bob McKenzie latest draft rankings I'm thinking were going to be pretty happy with who we get with our 2nd round pick.

Every time I see a team pick a Defenseman before our pick i'll be cheering loudly.:nod:
If you run it enough times does NJ end up with Bedard?

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I'm going to try to read up on this draft the next few days before Thursday. It's a bit harder to get hyped for it without having the usual top 10 1st Round pick but I'm excited to see what we do. Our scouts have been good in the later rounds latley and that's where they ultimately earn a payday. I'm sure we will have an opportunity to draft someone who fell in the rankings or even possibly an overager that teams pass up on. The system really needs more Centers and Wingers with size. I like the old philosophy of taking 1 goalie every draft year. I would think using the 3rd or 4th round pick on one would be ideal. Daws , Brennan , Malek and Brady in the pipeline isn't terrible. I think Brennan will be one to look out for the next 2 to 3 years. Adding another one to the list would be a good idea , you all know how unpredictable drafting goalies is.

We have Calgary's 3rd round pick this year which is 10 spots higher than ours would have been. Maybe that can be huge when it's all said and done. Gonna be an interesting draft as usual which is why it's always one of my favorite days of the hockey year.

Reactions: Nubmer6 and My3Sons

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Pronman 7 round mock:

58. Lenni Hameenaho, RW, Assat (FINLAND)
80. Gracyn Sawchyn, C, Seattle (WHL)
122. Paul Fischer, D, Usa U-18 (NTDP)
154. Emil Jarventie, LW, Ilves Jr. (FINLAND-JR.)
186. Hugo Hell, D, Farjestad Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)
218. Luke Mittelstadt, D, Minnesota (BIG10)
Unless picks are traded I still think NJ takes Dionicio with pick 80. He should normally still be there at 80 but most likely won't be at 122. The organization would probably have to really dislike the player in order not to take the hometown kid. You only get so many of those in Newark.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Unless picks are traded I still think NJ takes Dionicio with pick 80. He should normally still be there at 80 but most likely won't be at 122. The organization would probably have to really dislike the player in order not to take the hometown kid. You only get so many of those in Newark.

I never understand why people are so into getting hometown players on the team

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I never understand why people are so into getting hometown players on the team
You don't think it helps when negociating contracts? What Calgary is going through the last few years...you don't think it could have helped if those players had local ties? Why do you think the Maple Leafs keep on signing FA's to teamfriendly deals? Correct...because they're all from the area.

If you wanna win cups, you need a few players on teamfriendly deals. Of course you can be lucky and get other players to sign such deals but it's always better to have players who absolutely wanna play for your team than players you have to convince to do so.

Besides, it also makes for a great marketing story.

Reactions: Darkauron

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
You don't think it helps when negociating contracts? What Calgary is going through the last few years...you don't think it could have helped if those players had local ties? Why do you think the Maple Leafs keep on signing FA's to teamfriendly deals? Correct...because they're all from the area.

If you wanna win cups, you need a few players on teamfriendly deals. Of course you can be lucky and get other players to sign such deals but it's always better to have players who absolutely wanna play for your team than players you have to convince to do so.

Besides, it also makes for a great marketing story.

Not really. I mean, some players maybe would take discounts , but I doubt they all would. Just because you're from an area doesn't mean you like it or that it's your favorite place or something lol. And I certainly wouldn't be making those type of decisions for like a random third round pick or something.

Getting guys at the tail end of their careers to sign team friendly deals is one thing, but the important Toronto guys didn't exactly take team friendly deals. And getting guys at the tail end of their career to sign free agent deals can be done just as easily if you're a cup contender.

Draft the best players. I don't want to draft a guy just because he's from the area. I don't want to trade for a guy or sign a guy just because he's from the area.

And I don't mean any disrespect to to Winnipeg and Calgary as I am sure that there are people who love to live there, but living in the Jersey suburbs just a stones throw from going to NYC isn't exactly the same thing, imo.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Not really. I mean, some players maybe would take discounts, but I doubt they all would. Just because you're from an area doesn't mean you like it or that it's your favorite place or something lol.

Getting guys at the tail end of their careers to sign team friendly deals is one thing, but the important Toronto guys didn't exactly take team friendly deals. And getting guys at the tail end of their career to sign free agent deals can be done just as easily if you're a cup contender.

Draft the best players. I don't want to draft a guy just because he's from the area. I don't want to trade for a guy or sign a guy just because he's from the area.
Makes it far more likely.
You don't even have to like the area...having family in the area is a bonus already for many players. Every year, players decide not to renew contracts in order to sign elsewhere to be closer to family.

We're talking about a 3rd round pick. 3rd rounders are unlikely to ever become NHL regulars. At this point you no longer necessarily draft the best players....you might as well draft the players with the highest upside and Dionicio is certainly not lacking upside.

Reactions: Darkauron

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Makes it far more likely.
You don't even have to like the area...having family in the area is a bonus already for many players. Every year, players decide not to renew contracts in order to sign elsewhere to be closer to family.

We're talking about a 3rd round pick. 3rd rounders are unlikely to ever become NHL regulars. At this point you no longer necessarily draft the best players....you might as well draft the players with the highest upside and Dionicio is certainly not lacking upside.

For some people yes, for others no. I Mean, Marner is from Markham and straight smashed Toronto in negotiations.

Every year players make decisions to not renew contracts for a myriad of reasons. Money, tax situations, family, cup contention windows, etc. If a player wants to make that move I'm more than happy to listen. But I'm not basing any sort of my team building philosophy around it, that's for sure. I find it to have no real value until I find out in that specific situation that it has value. Then I want to leverage the hell out of it.

And I really don't care where a prospect is from since for most players in general, I don't want their later years. I want the early ones. If he's at the top of your board when you pick, fine, take him. But if he's not, I can't support taking him just because he's from the area on a theory that he may take less down the line or wants to play there long term. I'm not putting an emphasis on drafting him just because he's from the area or feel like I have to get him. Just take the guy that you think has the best shot of being an NHLer or a good NHLer. Being worried about the value of where they are from is putting the cart waaaaaaay before the horse in my opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad