Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Habs board is doing they yearly quick mock and its one pick away from the Devils 2nd round 58th pick. Notable prospects still available are

1. Danny Nelson - Defenseman turned Winger turned Center who had a good year. Perhaps its because he's a bit of a raw project people are wary of him? He's ranked 32 and 24 by Mckenzie and button.

2. Both Goalies Trey Augustine and Carson Bjarnason are still around.

Reactions: evnted

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
Habs board is doing they yearly quick mock and its one pick away from the Devils 2nd round 58th pick. Notable prospects still available are

1. Danny Nelson - Defenseman turned Winger turned Center who had a good year. Perhaps its because he's a bit of a raw project people are wary of him? He's ranked 32 and 24 by Mckenzie and button.

all good options but im a pretty decent nelson fan, hed be a near coup at 58. like you mentioned, hes still relatively new to the position. hes very young for the class too (AUG birthday) so some solid runway as well. he does pretty much everything you want in a 3C. competes hard, wins puck battles, plays physically, drives dirty areas, obviously excels defensively but moves the puck quite well and has solid enough skating to keep up with higher pace players. has a sneaky good shot too. i dont expect him to be that great of an offensive threat at the next level, but i dont rule out seeing a more expanded game than weve gotten so far as he matures in the role. none of his skills standout as a weakness per se, and his smart, pro mentality can likely help him to open up more in a collegiate envinronment. you dont have to be the most lethal natural goal scorer to produce as long as you can set yourself up in scoring opportunities, which he certainly does. very well rounded option.

i think theres a few reasons for the discrepancy in ratings. 1) most definitely, armchair scouts dont appreciate his type of game. he isnt flashy, he doesnt have dynamic skill, and likely doesnt project too far up the lineup. theres still lots of value in these types of players, but the average internet scout likes to shoot for the moon. 2) he was sort of overshadowed on the NTDP. obviously the perreault-smith-leonard line deservedly stole the show, but armchair scout heartthrob oliver moore also took a lot of attention away from nelson on his own line. danny was slotted at wing and shouldered a substantial amount of defensive responsibility on the line (with ryan fine flanking the other side, who wasnt gonna take care of it lol). moore is a good player but lacks that great of a playmaking game (and vision) and while the line was a fit for the program, i dont believe it was a fit for nelson specifically to showcase himself or his abilities.

i personally have nelson as an early round 2 option and i could totally understand a team going for him at the end of day 1. really feel confident he'll be something at the next level with the potential to be a pretty defining bottom 6 option on a contending team. one really impressive nelson moment i want to highlight, he was slotted in an ugly 4th line assignment for the US at the U18s and not only did he play the role exactly how he was supposed to (excelling defensively and wearing down the opposition on the forecheck) *and* not only did he still find a way to produce at a point per game chip, but when the US was down 2-0 in the gold medal game well into the 3rd period, it was none other than danny nelson being the first player to break through and ultimately help lead the team to claim gold.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Pronman 7 round mock:

58. Lenni Hameenaho, RW, Assat (FINLAND)
80. Gracyn Sawchyn, C, Seattle (WHL)
122. Paul Fischer, D, Usa U-18 (NTDP)
154. Emil Jarventie, LW, Ilves Jr. (FINLAND-JR.)
186. Hugo Hell, D, Farjestad Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)
218. Luke Mittelstadt, D, Minnesota (BIG10)

I know Mittlestadt is a double overager, but he stuck out in a good way in the games I saw of the NCAA tournament. Seems like good value in the 7th round.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Pronman 7 round mock:

NJ drafting trends being what they are I sort of expect pick 122 or 154 to be a goalie.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Pronman 7 round mock:

these are in fact some names of guys

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Pronman 7 round mock:

Lot’s of people keep trying to give us Sawchyn.

I’ve had a premonition that we take Connor Levis. (Do I have any history of premonitions coming true? No I do not.)

My3Sons

Sponsor
Lot’s of people keep trying to give us Sawchyn.

I’ve had a premonition that we take Connor Levis. (Do I have any history of premonitions coming true? No I do not.)
What about that time you warned me the dogs were digging out under the gate on the side of the house?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Probably a combination of him being a project and some fans stat watching. At least in my keeper league, the USNTDP/USHL guys can get undervalued. Dylan Larkin went later than he should have in our draft because his 26 points in 26 USHL games didn't looks as impressive as Robby Fabbri's 87 points in 58 OHL games. I benefited in 2016, I tried to trade up for Clayton Keller but ended up having him fall to my pick. Tyson Jost (104 points in 68 BCHL games) and Logan Brown (74 points in 59 OHL games) went directly ahead of him.

Nelson is going to Notre Dame and they haven't had the best history of developing offensive talent. Anders Lee and Bryan Rust would be their most notable alums. Kyle Palmieri bailed after his freshman year.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Probably a combination of him being a project and some fans stat watching. At least in my keeper league, the USNTDP/USHL guys can get undervalued. Dylan Larkin went later than he should have in our draft because his 26 points in 26 USHL games didn't looks as impressive as Robby Fabbri's 87 points in 58 OHL games. I benefited in 2016, I tried to trade up for Clayton Keller but ended up having him fall to my pick. Tyson Jost (104 points in 68 BCHL games) and Logan Brown (74 points in 59 OHL games) went directly ahead of him.

Nelson is going to Notre Dame and they haven't had the best history of developing offensive talent. Anders Lee and Bryan Rust would be their most notable alums. Kyle Palmieri bailed after his freshman year.
one of my youngest son's best friends is going to Notre Dame next season. If NJ drafts Nelson I'll have the friend do some scouting for us.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I was bummed to find out that my niece turned down Michigan in favor of Colorado. Would have been fun to have an excuse to visit Ann Arbor again.
My nephew turned down Michigan to attend U of FL this upcoming fall. Michigan is maybe losing a bit of its luster as the cool state university to attend for out of state kids. UVA seems to remain popular as do the big California schools. Texas is so swamped with required admits from Texas high schools that they don't seem to register as much as some others on the out of state radar.

Reactions: Guttersniped

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
My nephew turned down Michigan to attend U of FL this upcoming fall. Michigan is maybe losing a bit of its luster as the cool state university to attend for out of state kids. UVA seems to remain popular as do the big California schools. Texas is so swamped with required admits from Texas high schools that they don't seem to register as much as some others on the out of state radar.
As someone who went through the college process relatively recently, I'd say Michigan is still very popular and no doubt getting more and more competitive each year, but it definitely attracts a more academic-focused crowd than a UFlorida or a CU Boulder. UFlorida is definitely on the rise, though, and I feel like that is the school that is becoming increasingly popular with the really smart kid who doesn't want to be stuck in the bare cold of the northern US and still wants a good "college experience". There aren't really other good options right now other than Georgia Tech or Texas.

There is definitely a shift towards a lot of kids wanting to go to school in the south, though. UTampa, FAU, and USC have become really popular amongst northeastern kids who want to get out of the northeast, at least from my experience.

My3Sons

Sponsor
As someone who went through the college process relatively recently, I'd say Michigan is still very popular and no doubt getting more and more competitive each year, but it definitely attracts a more academic-focused crowd than a UFlorida or a CU Boulder. UFlorida is definitely on the rise, though, and I feel like that is the school that is becoming increasingly popular with the really smart kid who doesn't want to be stuck in the bare cold of the northern US and still wants a good "college experience". There aren't really other good options right now other than Georgia Tech or Texas.

There is definitely a shift towards a lot of kids wanting to go to school in the south, though. UTampa, FAU, and USC have become really popular amongst northeastern kids who want to get out of the northeast, at least from my experience.
Florida was at about 23% acceptance rate this year. That means the out of state kids probably only had a 15% or so admission rate. My middle one considered Ga Tech but it had a vibe that didn’t align with what he was looking for. Texas has to take something like the top 5% of all high school graduates in Texas and has few out of state spots available. I know one kid going there because he is buddies with Arch Manning. The whole thing is getting out of hand.

• Wow
Reactions: RememberTheName

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I was bummed to find out that my niece turned down Michigan in favor of Colorado. Would have been fun to have an excuse to visit Ann Arbor again.
having spent the last 3 years attached to Colorado through my wife, let me tell you

It’s the right choice. Immaculate vibes for a university. Except for sports, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad