Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Potential Selection Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If this was Dubas, I wouldn't be as excited. (although his last trade back was decent) This time around, I don't mind the trade back.

As people mentioned, Lardis and Brindley are good options.

BUT if we're going for the smaller skilled guy with one pick, I want the big monster with the other pick. If we have one in the 60's I want: Brady Cleveland. A massive, violent, 6'5 meathead with zero offense. However, his defensive metrics are good. A few pages back, he was rated as one of the best defensive D's in the draft. I want an evil ogre on the team.

Major reach for Cleveland if he goes anywhere in the double digits.

Few things that need to be pointed out about him. He is a solid skater. He is physical. He is excellent at defending with his stick.

But there is a lot of "bad": Offensively, he doesn't have enough to make the NHL, even as a pure defensive guy. No shot. No real vision or skill in the offensive end to the point where he may actively kill offense for his team when he is on the ice. There are real concerns with how he leverages his body in defensive situations and positions himself, which is really concerning given his size (especially compared to his peers) and his very defensive style of play. His ability to make basic passes is inconsistent, although good enough to work fairly well when playing in limited roles. That is the other thing: This is a fairly weak NTDP defensive crop and despite that, he is still their worst LHD. He was playing as their #7 behind a bunch of guys who are borderline top 100 talents at best, and that was before Hutson arrived.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I think his hockey sense isn't that bad. Look at what his coach said:

“You just don’t see many kids play like he does in today’s game and when you do have someone like Brady, it impacts the entire lineup. But I think the other big thing with Brady is his play in his own end. He’s got a great stick, he kills plays, he can skate and I thought he did a really good job moving pucks up for us. Plus he was someone we trusted a lot on the penalty kill. So with all of those and his physical element, he can add a dynamic that not every team has.”

Also, a few pages back, he was considered one of the best defensive defenceman in the draft on that ranking page that someone posted. That takes sense and smarts!

I mean, he's not a first round choice for me, but a late 2nd/early 3rd trade down pick? I'd go for it.

And yet his coach used him less than pretty much everyone on his team.

I'll be honest, I had him going undrafted for much of this year, and he is still a late-round long shot at best. He is that big of a project. If he wasn't a rare physical grade, or his skating was even half a point lower, or he wasn't going the long route through the NCAA, he still would be an easy undrafted guy for me. But because you can take it slow with him, and with a lot of work you may turn him into a good enough #6 that would be better than what you would typically find in a 6th or 7th round, I figured he would be worth putting on my late-round target list. But I have other "large" guys who I would take long before him.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
If Cleveland is sheltered and struggles with outlet passes or decision making at lower levels, I can't see him being able to do it in the fastest league in the world.

We've drafted for size and physicality in the past and a good lot of them weren't even able to make an impact in the AHL. Hockey IQ should always be the #1 focus and everything else should come after. If you can't process the game fast enough, you are always going to be behind. No matter what else you bring.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022

I'll be honest, I had him going undrafted for much of this year, and he is still a late-round long shot at best. He is that big of a project. If he wasn't a rare physical grade, or his skating was even half a point lower, or he wasn't going the long route through the NCAA, he still would be an easy undrafted guy for me. But because you can take it slow with him, and with a lot of work you may turn him into a good enough #6 that would be better than what you would typically find in a 6th or 7th round, I figured he would be worth putting on my late-round target list. But I have other "large" guys who I would take long before him.
If we can get him in the 6th round, even better!

I do recognize the concerns, but leveraging his body in defensive situations and positioning, IMO, is fixable. If he can continue to master all aspects of being a physical, stay-at-home D, then I think he has a shot. I guess we will find out where he goes tomorrow.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
If we can get him in the 6th round, even better!

I do recognize the concerns, but leveraging his body in defensive situations and positioning, IMO, is fixable. If he can continue to master all aspects of being a physical, stay-at-home D, then I think he has a shot. I guess we will find out where he goes tomorrow.

Wasn't really fixable for Rasanen.

Cleveland was a slightly smoother skater but Rasanen was much better offensively, moving the puck, etc. Rasanen ultimately couldn't process the game at a pro level and he didn't even come close to the NHL.

Cleveland is taking a similar swing except on a guy with no offense.

More or less my rankings for this year.

Player2023 RankingAverage DC Ranking
Connor Bedard55
Matvei Michkov55
Adam Fantilli55
Leo Carlsson55
Will Smith55
Zach Benson105
Oliver Moore1010
David Reinbacher1010
Ryan Leonard1010
Matthew Wood1015
Dalibor Dvorsky1515
Colby Barlow1515
Axel Sandin Pellikka1515
Nate Danielson1525
Calum Ritchie1525
Brayden Yager2525
Gabriel Perreault2525
Mikhail Gulyayev2525
Samuel Honzek2525
Ethan Gauthier2525
Eduard Sale2525
Gavin Brindley2525
Otto Stenberg2525
Quentin Musty2525
Dmitri Simashev2525
Lukas Dragicevic5025
Andrew Cristall5050
Riley Heidt5050
Michael Hrabal5050
Bradley Nadeau5050
Kasper Halttunen5050
Tanner Molendyk5050
Jayden Perron5050
Nick Lardis5050
Daniil But5050
Charlie Stramel5050
Coulson Pitre5050
Carson Rehkopf5050
Koehn Ziemmer5050
Oliver Bonk5050
Beau Akey5050
Hunter Brzustewicz5050
Caden Price5050
Theo Lindstein5050
Etienne Morin5050
Kalan Lind5050
Tom Willander5050
Gracyn Sawchyn5050
Mathieu Cataford5050
William Whitelaw5050
Jacob Fowler7575
Cameron Allen7575
Luca Cagnoni7575
Trey Augustine7575
Jakub Dvorak7575
Carson Bjarnason7575
Adam Gajan7575
Tristan Bertucci7575
Maxim Strbak7575
Luca Pinelli7575
Alex Ciernik7575
Andrew Gibson7575
Noah Dower Nilsson7575
Danny Nelson7575
Scott Ratzlaff7575
Alexander Rykov7575
Carey Terrance7575
Gavin McCarthy7575
Easton Cowan7575
Martin Misiak7575
Anton Wahlberg7575
Nico Myatovic7575
Lenni Hameenaho7575
Oscar Fisker Molgaard7575
David Edstrom7575
Quinton Burns10075
Jesse Kiiskinen100100
Denver Barkey100100
Matthew Mania100100
Aram Minnetian100100
Ethan Miedema100100
Andrew Strathmann100100
Tyler Peddle100100
Tommaso De Luca100100
Brad Gardiner100100
Dylan MacKinnon100100
Felix Nilsson100100
Carter Sotheran100100
Sawyer Mynio100100
Jaden Lipinski100100
Albert Wikman100100
Felix Unger Sorum100100
Drew Fortescue100100
Paul Fischer100100
Connor Levis100100
Aydar Suniev100100
Cam Squires100100
Zach Nehring100100
Beckett Hendrickson100100
Stephen Peck100100

More or less what I have. Don't pay attention to ordering within the tiers... It is sorted in my sheet by some criteria but that doesn't mean they are slated to go above/below anyone in their own tier.

Last Minute Change #1: Took out Paul Fischer (100/100) for Damian Clara (100/100).

I still have Fischer as a late round target.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Terrell Goldsmith is a guy I'd consider taking with our 6th if we want a big rangy physical D.

Goldsmith is not that rangy, but he is really good in his own end.

He is less of an overall "project" than Cleveland, but he is still a project and the bolded applies to him, which is why I have him going undrafted personally. Although I could see some team taking him. Still plenty of teams that like these throwbacks even though they are almost guaranteed busts (especially out of the CHL).

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Cleveland is an interesting player
Luke Schenn

No, certainly not a Luke Schenn. Schenn can move the puck a little now and was never terrible. He put up half a point a game in his final junior season. Cleveland hasn’t scored a goal since high school in 2020/21 and in over 150 games since, has 16 assists. He’s a complete black hole offensively and I’m moving the puck. But he is big, and physical.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

GrizzGreen

Oct 16, 2017
Laguna
No, certainly not a Luke Schenn. Schenn can move the puck a little now and was never terrible. He put up half a point a game in his final junior season. Cleveland hasn’t scored a goal since high school in 2020/21 and in over 150 games since, has 16 assists. He’s a complete black hole offensively and I’m moving the puck. But he is big, and physical.
Schenn was good in Jrs, just misused in his start as a Leaf.... as can be applied to a lot of players

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
That would b
I have a feeling we will be trading back

Tor 28
Chic 35 + 67
That would be a mistake in this draft. I see three tiers of players 1 to 9, 10 to 39 and 40 to 70.

At 35 you won't have that many quality choices remaining and the guy at 67 would be a long shot at best.

You can get a quality player at 28 this year.

Dubas' last trade back (I am only counting picks for picks) is looking like a home run so far.

Turned #79 into Moldenhauer and Grebenkin.

And before that, he turned #44 into Hirvonen and Niemela.

I really like the idea of trading back (especially in later rounds) if you don't have a specific target.

For example, I think they discussed it with Knies, but they decided he was too good to pass up.

Also, drafting for size seems like a Hunter specialty and something I'd avoid.

You don't draft for size. You draft for projectability.

Sometimes a small speedy guy projects better than a bigger slower player. However size is always a factor.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You don't draft for size. You draft for projectability.

Sometimes a small speedy guy projects better than a bigger slower player. However size is always a factor.

Agreed.

I was just pointing out that putting an emphasis on drafting players with size does not usually work out unless they have other qualities, and the complete players with size are usually top 15 players.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Any chance Perreault falls to us? Maybe him being the third best player on his line could cause him to fall a bit.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Any chance Perreault falls to us? Maybe him being the third best player on his line could cause him to fall a bit.
Zero chance.

The guys who might fall would be Sale, Gulyeyev, Heidt, Cristall and Ritchie. All of them have top line potential but none are complete players. Hrabal, Gajan and Fowler would be decent goalie selections. Musty was a candidate to drop but big guys with offensive skill never fall.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
You would think in 2023 people would understand that size and physicality needs to be attached to a quality player for it to be worth anything. Cleveland is a do not draft for me.
We're not talking first round for Cleveland. For a later round, I see him as a good option.

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
Do any of you guys have any opinions on Kalan Lind? I’m thinking we may trade back for more picks so trying to look into guys that’ll go later in the draft that could be interesting.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I disagree. Brindley has that Trevor Moore quality to his game. There are many players of all sizes that have zero value if they don't score... Scoring is hard in pro hockey. He seems pretty good away from the puck and competes hard along the boards in his forecheck. I really don't see that being an issue. From what I've seen he seems more of a puck distributer, so perhaps goal scoring won't be high for him, but offense won't be any issue being generated.

I think there are better players at #28 but I think Brindley is someone that will make people regret overlooking his size, just like they did with Hutson.
Trevor Moore is basically that 2nd/3rd line agitator who can be used in multiple roles but you can do better than that in this draft with the 28th pick. Moore was signed as a free agent by the leafs.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I have a feeling we will be trading back

Tor 28
Chic 35 + 67

I don’t think so, based on Wes Clark’s comments and Brad Treliving’s comments, it sounds like they are picking. I think they feel very comfortable with the cluster of players who will be available at 28.

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
I don’t think so, based on Wes Clark’s comments and Brad Treliving’s comments, it sounds like they are picking. I think they feel very comfortable with the cluster of players who will be available at 28.
But Wes Clark said this when asked about trading down: “ “Trading down (to get more picks) when you are pretty bare seems like the most sensible move at the time,” Clark said of the Leafs’ first-rounder. “We will see how it shakes out.”
So I’m not certain they don’t see trading down as an option.

horner

May 22, 2007
That's not what I heard but we will see how it shakes out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad