Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Potential Selection Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I can see us going with Brindley. He seems to check a lot of the boxes out scouting staff like and could be available at our spot.

He's the kind of high risk but high reward player you go for. I love very fast and hard working players, he's got the skills to match all that.

Sounds like he might fall to the 2nd, similar to Lane Hutson last year. Habs got a great one there.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Curious, have you watched him a lot? Just would love to get perspective from people who've been about to see video or even live some of these guys.

I'm just going by write ups etc on players and the write ups basically just painted a picture of floater / not passionate.
Sale played for Czechia at the WJC and in the U18s. I’ve also watched some of his highlight packs from the top men’s league in Czechia where he played basically the same game.

players who lack strength and who don’t back check with intensity will get that label. However with added strength he could improve his skating. He can shy away from tough contact as well. I’ve seen examples where he pulls up instead of laying a body check. That will frustrate NA coaches.

The bottom line is that he’s just a skinny European kid with absurd puck skills and very high hockey IQ. There is a solid foundation to build on with some weight training and NA coaching.

BTW if you watch the gold medal WJC20 game he was the best forward for Czechia in that game by quite a margin.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
He's the kind of high risk but high reward player you go for. I love very fast and hard working players, he's got the skills to match all that.

Sounds like he might fall to the 2nd, similar to Lane Hutson last year. Habs got a great one there.
Brindley or Heidt are starting to seem like players that Clark would select and im all for it. I keep hearing comparisons to Braden Point when talking about Heidt

Brindley or Heidt are starting to seem like players that Clark would select and im all for it. I keep hearing comparisons to Braden Point when talking about Heidt

Reactions: SprDaVE

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

Brindley has a lower ceiling IMO. best case scenario is a scrappy 2nd line agitator. Unfortunately his size also gives him a lower floor as well.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Brindley has a lower ceiling IMO. best case scenario is a scrappy 2nd line agitator. Unfortunately his size also gives him a lower floor as well.

That's fair. I'd still take him depending on who's available. I fully suspect he'll drop to the 2nd though. I don't think size matters very much if you have the motor and work ethic. He can really buzz around the ice at both ends of the ice.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
That's fair. I'd still take him depending on who's available. I fully suspect he'll drop to the 2nd though. I don't think size matters very much if you have the motor and work ethic. He can really buzz around the ice at both ends of the ice.
Buzzing around is great but when you really break down what he brings to the table it doesn’t add up to very much. He works hard and has a great motor but won’t score more than 20 goals, doesn’t fight and won’t win many board battles.

When players like Brindley don’t score they don’t have much value.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
If we're trading back, Nick Lardis is a underrated name.

One of the best skaters in the draft and one of the better goal scorers/pure snipers.

Once he got traded to Hamilton, he went on a absolute tear with 25g in 33 games and 5 goals in 6 playoff games.

He's one of the players I think may move up the draft. I can see him go late 1st

Reactions: weems

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
If we're trading back, Nick Lardis is a underrated name.

One of the best skaters in the draft and one of the better goal scorers/pure snipers.

Once he got traded to Hamilton, he went on a absolute tear with 25g in 33 games and 5 goals in 6 playoff games.
I think Lardis would be a great value pick
He's got the toolbox for sure
He needs some overall refinement, but he definitely has been putting in the work and has the raw abilities
He absolutely stepped up after his trade and at the Combine to show what he's got to work with

I'm more concerned how he can handle proper NHL D forcing him and boxing him. I worry he might be a bit of a disappearing act with proper coverage and pressure at the NHL level.
But those things can be worked on with proper NHL development trainers

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Buzzing around is great but when you really break down what he brings to the table it doesn’t add up to very much. He works hard and has a great motor but won’t score more than 20 goals, doesn’t fight and won’t win many board battles.

When players like Brindley don’t score they don’t have much value.

I disagree. Brindley has that Trevor Moore quality to his game. There are many players of all sizes that have zero value if they don't score... Scoring is hard in pro hockey. He seems pretty good away from the puck and competes hard along the boards in his forecheck. I really don't see that being an issue. From what I've seen he seems more of a puck distributer, so perhaps goal scoring won't be high for him, but offense won't be any issue being generated.

I think there are better players at #28 but I think Brindley is someone that will make people regret overlooking his size, just like they did with Hutson.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Sounded like we're moving down based on Wes Clarke.
If this was Dubas, I wouldn't be as excited. (although his last trade back was decent) This time around, I don't mind the trade back.

As people mentioned, Lardis and Brindley are good options.

BUT if we're going for the smaller skilled guy with one pick, I want the big monster with the other pick. If we have one in the 60's I want: Brady Cleveland. A massive, violent, 6'5 meathead with zero offense. However, his defensive metrics are good. A few pages back, he was rated as one of the best defensive D's in the draft. I want an evil ogre on the team.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
If this was Dubas, I wouldn't be as excited. (although his last trade back was decent) This time around, I don't mind the trade back.

BUT if we're going for the smaller skilled guy with one pick, I want the big monster with the other pick. If we have one in the 60's I want: Brady Cleveland. A massive, violent, 6'5 meathead with zero offense. However, his defensive metrics are good. A few pages back, he was rated as one of the best defensive D's in the draft. I want an evil ogre on the team.

what is he, Doug Glatt on defense (Goon reference to save the googling)?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Defencemen

When the Maple Leafs traded away Rasmus Sandin, it left a hole in the organization’s defensive depth chart. Adding to this, Toronto has not selected a blueliner in the last two drafts. Knowing that defenders take longer to develop, the organization is in critical need of adding to this pool.

Topi Niemela is the best young blueliner in the system, and could potentially compensate for Sandin’s departure if his development trajectory continues. Niemela might even see NHL games this season.

Looking to the 2023 draft, a trio of defenders ranked near the Leafs’ pick could be prime targets for the organization. Tom Willander fits the mould for Toronto's typical picks not only because he’s a product of Sweden, but also because he’s headed to Boston University next year. Willander was a rapid riser this season on draft charts thanks to his incredible skating and ability to use his mobility to evade checkers. The 6-foot-1 right-shot blueliner had a breakout at the U-18 championships and would be a great pick for Toronto.

Beyond Willander, Oliver Bonk and Lukas Dragicevic, who are both 6-foot-1 and right-handed shots, are options. Bonk is the type of well-rounded defender who thrives taking care of his own zone, but is also able to distribute pucks and contribute offensively. The London Knights product's reliability and the fact he thrives playing big minutes are both desirable attributes.

Dragicevic has perhaps the highest ceiling of the trio as he’s an offensive juggernaut, but he also has the most to learn on the defensive side. He loves to join the rush and creep in from the blueline, but at a risk. The Richmond, B.C., native had 15 goals and 75 points with the WHL's Tri-City Americans this season.

The pick? If he’s available: Tom Willander.

Forwards

With Knies headed to the Maple Leafs and Robertson’s runway looking shorter and shorter, Toronto’s prospect group up front turns to focus on Fraser Minten, Nick Moldenhauer, Ty Voit and Roni Hirvonen, who will likely move to play with the AHL’s Toronto Marlies this year. The Leafs are short on elite skill and short on size up front. Quentin Musty or Calum Ritchie would be dream picks to fall to the Leafs, but that’s unlikely to happen.

Toronto might as well swing big at No. 28 and perhaps the best pick for that is 6-foot-5 Russian winger Daniil But. But is not overly physical yet, but he’s an above average skater with soft hands for a player his size.

If the Leafs wanted to take a crack at a player who could be a steal similar to Knies, the brutish Charlie Stramel would provide a new look. Based on his size and strength (6'3, 216 lbs), Toronto could call upon the University of Wisconsin centre sooner than later in a third- or fourth-line role, but he does lack a bit of the offensive upside that teams like to target at the top of the draft.

The swing-for-the-fences choice at this point in the draft is BCHL superstar Bradly Nadeau, who will look to transfer his eye-popping skills and scoring to the NCAA with Maine next year. The 5-foot-10 centre had 45 goals and 113 points in 54 games with the Penticton Vees this past season.

The pick? Daniil But.

Goaltenders

Is it too soon to talk about goalies in Toronto? Joseph Woll did an admirable job coming in for the duo of Ilya Samsonov and Matt Murray, who both suffered injuries that left the Leafs exposed in net. That said, aside from recently selected Dennis Hildeby, there is little depth at the position.

It’s highly unlikely Toronto reaches for a goalie in the first round as the depth of potential at the position will extend will into the third and fourth rounds. When they step up later, picking Michael Hrabal, Trey Augustine, Adam Gajan or Carson Bjarnason would add another layer of support to the system.

The pick? Any of these netminders…but not in Round 1.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
what is he, Doug Glatt on defense (Goon reference to save the googling)?
LOL Sounds like it.

Supposedly his agility is good too (although not the best skater). Of course, I know he's a long shot, but having a 3rd pairing monster like that would be beneficial.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

“Cleveland is the type of big, hyper-physical, “mean as hell” type of defenseman that NHL teams covet. He skates quite well for a big man too. He would be a highly-rated prospect if he had any offence, but he has very little puck game. He struggles to consistently execute outlet passes or provide any type of secondary offence. I get the temptation to compare him to former U.S. NTDP defenseman Kleven. They are similar in some regards, and Kleven currently looks like a very good pro prospect, but I think Cleveland has less puck game than Kleven and it’s why his coaches limited his ice time in games this season. He’s a unique and highly coveted player type if he hits, but the path to him getting there is a bit of a longshot.” Corey Pronman, The Athletic (from “2023 NHL Draft ranking:

You’d really need to pair him with someone who could move the puck, and even then guys who struggle, often see their partners focused on, resulting in difficulties leaving the zone. A kid at U18 who struggles to move the puck isn’t going to be better at the NHL level.

Reactions: horner

horner

May 22, 2007

Cleveland is an interesting player
Luke Schenn

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
“Cleveland is the type of big, hyper-physical, “mean as hell” type of defenseman that NHL teams covet. He skates quite well for a big man too. He would be a highly-rated prospect if he had any offence, but he has very little puck game. He struggles to consistently execute outlet passes or provide any type of secondary offence. I get the temptation to compare him to former U.S. NTDP defenseman Kleven. They are similar in some regards, and Kleven currently looks like a very good pro prospect, but I think Cleveland has less puck game than Kleven and it’s why his coaches limited his ice time in games this season. He’s a unique and highly coveted player type if he hits, but the path to him getting there is a bit of a longshot.” Corey Pronman, The Athletic (from “2023 NHL Draft ranking:

You’d really need to pair him with someone who could move the puck, and even then guys who struggle, often see their partners focused on, resulting in difficulties leaving the zone. A kid at U18 who struggles to move the puck isn’t going to be better at the NHL level.
more importantly, is how is his hockey sense ...an average skating behemoth with great hockey sense doesnt need to move as much, but, a low HS defender with average skating will be a career echl/ahl player.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Dubas' last trade back (I am only counting picks for picks) is looking like a home run so far.

Turned #79 into Moldenhauer and Grebenkin.

And before that, he turned #44 into Hirvonen and Niemela.

I really like the idea of trading back (especially in later rounds) if you don't have a specific target.

For example, I think they discussed it with Knies, but they decided he was too good to pass up.

Also, drafting for size seems like a Hunter specialty and something I'd avoid.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
more importantly, is how is his hockey sense ...an average skating behemoth with great hockey sense doesnt need to move as much, but, a low HS defender with average skating will be a career echl/ahl player.
I think his hockey sense isn't that bad. Look at what his coach said:

“You just don’t see many kids play like he does in today’s game and when you do have someone like Brady, it impacts the entire lineup. But I think the other big thing with Brady is his play in his own end. He’s got a great stick, he kills plays, he can skate and I thought he did a really good job moving pucks up for us. Plus he was someone we trusted a lot on the penalty kill. So with all of those and his physical element, he can add a dynamic that not every team has.”

Also, a few pages back, he was considered one of the best defensive defenceman in the draft on that ranking page that someone posted. That takes sense and smarts!

I mean, he's not a first round choice for me, but a late 2nd/early 3rd trade down pick? I'd go for it.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
I think his hockey sense isn't that bad. Look at what his coach said:

“You just don’t see many kids play like he does in today’s game and when you do have someone like Brady, it impacts the entire lineup. But I think the other big thing with Brady is his play in his own end. He’s got a great stick, he kills plays, he can skate and I thought he did a really good job moving pucks up for us. Plus he was someone we trusted a lot on the penalty kill. So with all of those and his physical element, he can add a dynamic that not every team has.”

Also, a few pages back, he was considered one of the best defensive defenceman in the draft on that ranking page that someone posted. That takes sense and smarts!

I mean, he's not a first round choice for me, but a late 2nd/early 3rd trade down pick? I'd go for it.
problem is we dont pick after 1st till 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad