Post-Game Talk: 2023 NHL Draft 1st Round post game talk

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
I don't want to stir anything but perhaps it is time to start questioning whether Hugher/Gorton duo are right for the Habs. Other than one trade (Dach), it's been average at best. All of the picks/prospects Habs got from Chiarot, Toffoli, Lekhs etc trades have turn up nothing to be excited about or wasted. Any decent players on the team (other than Dach) are still Bergevin's (gag, barf). I mean... how much longer do we need to wait to arrive to the same conclusion as with Bergevin? Another 10 years?
im down!
#FireHugo

Ill submit my resume for VP. You want to be my GM? @Adam Michaels AGM? @Runner77 VP Comms? @Vachon23 head of scouting?

Woodchuck

May 3, 2021
I guess I'll wait and see how it goes. Not a super exciting draft, but while people bash the Newhook + Reinbacher additions, it seems to me like good potential and overall we're really starting to have a solid all-around team getting built. Weak in goal, but starting to fill in everywhere else in 2-3 years with quality players.

Michkov would have been a lot more interesting, but who knows how that will turn out.

One thing that reassures me a bit reading this thread is that I remember in 2012 how high people were here on the draft and how basically every pick was awesome with Galchenyuk, Collberg, Thrower... and we all know how that ended.

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Too soon?

AmazingRecklessCoelacanth-max-1mb.gif

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He’s not even close to ever being a 1D based on almost every scouting report.
Some did. But regardless, I’ll trust the Habs and Rangers brass to be able to find great defencemen more than I do keyboard scouts. They’ve shown themselves competent at finding both defenders and goalies.

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I guess I'll wait and see how it goes. Not a super exciting draft, but while people bash the Newhook + Reinbacher additions, it seems to me like good potential and overall we're really starting to have a solid all-around team getting built. Weak in goal, but starting to fill in everywhere else in 2-3 years with quality players.

Michkov would have been a lot more interesting, but who knows how that will turn out.

One thing that reassures me a bit reading this thread is that I remember in 2012 how high people were here on the draft and how basically every pick was awesome with Galchenyuk, Collberg, Thrower... and we all know how that ended.

Newhook seems to be a ver good talent at 16th overall. Who wouldn't want to trade up from 31 using the 37th pick to get such a prospect?

He hasn't taken off yet. But many think he can. He's still a prospects, as any player drafted would be, and there's still time for him to take off.

We may be a little biased because we did so well in the 2nd round last year, getting Beck and Hutson. No guarantee we get that good of a prospect at 37 this year.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Others may have said this already, but this feel like 2005 all over again. Habs reach for a player and the city is now on fire.

It is quite obvious now that Kent was ok to trade down, and that this plan was folded by Arizona targeting the same guy he wanted. So the problem for me is not trading down for picking him, but more how is the "/%!/%?"/$ world is this guy that much better the the other options still on the board. I wish I'd been on the scooting meeting to her what was said about him and the other options....
To be fair, Kopitar would have been the better pick and I'll die on that hill.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006

Colorado. Apparently no depth. Still, they gave Newhook the hook for draft picks.

Yeah, that adds up.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
It's more about player value with styles/height/weight attached to it. Comparisons always gets derailed
I don't see how you see Doughty using "style/height/weight" but hey I never really watched Reinbacher that closely. Might be smaller and faster than I see.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Look Chicago won this day. After that the next three picks are #1C’s, OUCH so close, that left us Michkov (consensus BPA) or trade down. Our owner seems to be a little sensitive with his organization picking Russians (right now) and extremely cautious after the Mailloux pick a couple of years ago. We selected this years #1 RD and that’s never a bad thing. My only exposure to this kid was at the WJC and he stood out as Austria‘s best & most physical player. I hope he becomes the 23- 25 minute, dependable D, with physicality & pp potential he’s getting praised for right now by scouts who’ve watched him play.

However, Bedard is this years prize and the rest of us are playing catch-up.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Molson must be happy with these last two drafts. Picking guys from non-traditional hockey markets. All Slovakian and Austrian eyes will be on the Habs. Wouldn’t be surprised to see the Habs play a few games in that part of Europe in the near future.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He was put in that tier BECAUSE of the position he plays in. That's my belief and issue.

Next year. There's a plethora of d-men. And even quite a few righties. What do you do next year? If you believe that your D is somewhat set, and frankly without knowing shit 'cause most guys will still be projection, you draft forwards? Because....you don't NEED that much d-men anymore?

I don't get it.
I don’t think you can get ahead of yourself like this. If Reinbacher is the top guy on your board you take him.

I think this was probably decided right before they traded for Newhook. I think like @WeThreeKings said, Reinbacher won the tiebreaker against some wingers due to being a RD, and then it was decided that it would be best to address Wing with those two picks in the 30s via Newhook acquisition.

Reactions: le_sean

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
What's funny is you think a no.1 D is a powerhouse points producer. Which is totally false.

let's say in the future, Guhle and Reinbacher play 25 minutes and get 40-50 pts each while Hutson gets 60 pts while playing 18 minutes. Who's the no.1 D??
When did I say that? 40 points could definitely be a #1 D. I just don't see that here unless our forwards really develop. He won't be a 1st PP guy here unless others don't develop and he's usually going to be making the first pass out of the zone at even strength.

When I say a #2 I mean a #2. Not a #2 pairing. I hope he exceeds my expectations, I really do. I'll cheer for him with my whole Habs heart.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
So why don't you apply your observations to Reinbacher??
My point was you can't talk in certainties regarding the draft.

My opinion of Reinbacher's ceiling is my opinion. I'll never say it's concrete.

Just like my opinion is that Will Smith has the highest chance to bust in the Top-5.

How would you know that?
I don't know that. I said I don't see it.

The same thing we all do when talking about prospects.

Like what even is this question lol

Reactions: Benstheman

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
So the next draft is a very strong one for defensemen and weak for forwards. We’ll probably have a high pick again but not be bad enough to be in the running for Celebrini/Eiserman so what do we do then?

This is so backwards.

Reactions: Kimota and amethyst

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
I just love how people come to conclusions about a player's career before they even played a single game in the NHL. In Slaf's case, in about half a season.

And then they harp on about how we can't develop players, but their conclusion clearly tells you they don't believe in development.

Reactions: Naslundforever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad