Post-Game Talk: 2023 NHL Draft 1st Round post game talk

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I was looking outside.......................

images.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Bahama Mama

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He was put in that tier BECAUSE of the position he plays in. That's my belief and issue.

Next year. There's a plethora of d-men. And even quite a few righties. What do you do next year? If you believe that your D is somewhat set, and frankly without knowing shit 'cause most guys will still be projection, you draft forwards? Because....you don't NEED that much d-men anymore?

I don't get it.

That's your belief but I would say if you listen to the podcasts after the combine, that is not the belief of NHL GMs.

Let's use this year as an example, we saw Simashev go after Reinbacher. We can use last year as well, Nemec went at 2 when most people didn't think he was worthy of going that high. Defenseman are valued assets and those defenseman next year are going to get drafted high, that means by not needing to draft a defenseman next year, we'll be in a good spot to take a highly valued forward that might drop because teams focus on getting those defenseman.

Benson went 12th this year. Behind a lot of defenseman. Do we think that opportunity won't present itself again?

I don't want to stir anything but perhaps it is time to start questioning whether Hugher/Gorton duo are right for the Habs. Other than one trade (Dach), it's been average at best. All of the picks/prospects Habs got from Chiarot, Toffoli, Lekhs etc trades have turn up nothing to be excited about or wasted. Any decent players on the team (other than Dach) are still Bergevin's (gag, barf). I mean... how much longer do we need to wait to arrive to the same conclusion as with Bergevin? Another 10 years?

What do you mean? We have no idea what the Newhook trade will bring yet. Matheson was a stroke of genius, he was unreal this year. Look at what Toffoli returned when traded again. The value for Chiarot was unreal. The Monahan trade netted us a great veteran player who can be sold if he stays healthy but even not, we got a 1st round pick for literally cap space.

Their first draft is already looking very good with Beck, Hutson and Engstrom notably.

MSL looks like a legitimate culture changer.

What's been bad about their tenure other than they didn't draft Shane Wright (is that really an issue so far?) and Michkov? Wanting to fire or question a tenure a year and a half in before any prospect has meaningfully announced themselves as anything is so premature.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
You're wrong. He was in the tier because he legitimately belongs in it.
I had Reinbacher 8. I didn't have him 132. But following my list, he's not my pick. They went needs that MADE him leap over players. WE already have him as the perfect player for Hutson...while we still have no idea if Hutson can hold his own in this league.

We are playing a Playstation need game right now. Instead of using top end picks to bring in value. There will be tons of D's next year. And even Righties. Strangely, what do we go if the BPA next year is a righty D? We don't pick him 'cause somehow our D is set?

Don't take my word. Hughes said that if he was lefty, they would have cooled down on him. Geez...can it be less clearer?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Michkov will be lighter but also more lethal in getting forgotten. Bure didn't rely on stealth. He relied on speed, like Demidov. Kaprisov and Michkov score from the same places, and rely on stealth to create opportunities; Michkov just has an insane conversion rate.

I'm trying to describe opportunity creation styles as it's the most relevant aspect here.

Don't matter to me. Bure or Kaprisov. Dought or Pietrangelo or Lindholm. The original point remains.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
I am disappointed at the beginning. Then I started to find more info on Reinbacher and now I am fully behind the pick. IMHO, Reinbecher is going to beome a #1 RD. You can''t trade for a #1 RD and you have to draft to get a #1 RD. Reinbacher got all the tools to become a #1 RD. The kid played and dominated in the men league at 18. He went straight from Junior to men league at 17 and becaming the top defenseman for his club. I know we didn't select Mitchkov but this Reinbacher pick is a very good pick. You win championship with defense and our defense will be top notched for the next 10 years.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
1D > 1LW

If your scouts projection is that both have that potential, then clearly you take the D.
He’s not even close to ever being a 1D based on almost every scouting report.
Which scouts? The ones who got this draft all wrong?

"Most scouts" also don't have MULTIPLE players drafted at 5 as "superstar scoring potential" BTW.
I’ve watched about 20 of his games and no thanks. Absolutely idiotic pick and 100% another risk and project. They could’ve traded to 10 and I bet he’s still there. But hey Montreal doesn’t need a Kaprizov which Michkov will be. That’s the constant comparison but let’s take a mid to bottom pair D man with hardly and offensive threat and let’s continue to score 2 goals a game. It’s just my opinion based on what I’ve seen. Don’t take it so literal

Reactions: JurequeparJuraj

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
At one point, I hope that their needs strategy realize that we also need TOP END point getter. Only in our imagination do we see Joshua Roy become that in the NHL. Or Farrell. Or Mesar. Or Beck. Or Kidney. Or Tuch. Or even....Slaf.

We were thin at RD and yet....even without Reinbacher, we were more equipped than productive forward point getter....

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
He’s not even close to ever being a 1D based on almost every scouting report.

I’ve watched about 20 of his games and no thanks. Absolutely idiotic pick and 109% another risk and project. They could’ve traded to 10 and I bet he’s still there. But hey Montreal doesn’t need a Kaprizov which Michkov will be. That’s the constant comparison but let’s take a mid to bottom paid D man with hardly and offensive threat and let’s continue to score 2 goals a game
How can we pick Reinbacher at 10th? Even if we traded 5th for 7th and 22th, we still won't get Reinbacher because the Coyotes will pick him at 6th.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
hey on the bright side, with Michkov who's going to score 100 points on his first season in the NHL, now I have yet another hockeydb page to bookmark and visit when I want to feel depressed about what could've been

• Haha
Reactions: angusyoung

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
For all the hate Hugo is receiving because they did not pick consensus favortires.

Considering they inherited Caufield, Suzuki and Guhle as the main core pieces.

Would we be a better team 3 years from now with Wright, Michkov and Romanov

Or with Slaf, Dach and Reinbacher.

I strongly believe we are in a much better shape with Dach, Slaf and Reinbacher and they surround Suzuki, Caufield and Guhle way, way better.

Slaf, Dach, Reinbacher and Hutson is.quite the haul in two years honestly. If we hit with Newhook these guy will have done a massive, massive job.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
In terms of their upside estimate, I think they're on the money.

What it makes me think is that they're basing this on their ''certainty'' that Reinbacher will be great or not, which is something that I don't really like. There's two things: how good you think a player can be, and the likelihood that they will be that good. I think scouts have a pretty good read on the former, whereas the latter is more random.

As an example, I think Reinbacher can be anything between Ekholm and Josi. I can't tell you which it's going to be right now, though.
Wouldn't that apply to every prospect?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This pick has to be better than Sergachev.
Imo, the pick has to be better than Michkov.

If Michkov is clearly the superior player, I'll be disappointed in the pick. And the scouting staff will need to make up for it with other picks.

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
For all the hate Hugo is receiving because they did not pick consensus favortires.

Considering they inherited Caufield, Suzuki and Guhle as the main core pieces.

Would we be a better team 3 years from now with Wright, Michkov and Romanov

Or with Slaf, Dach and Reinbacher.

I strongly believe we are in a much better shape with Dach, Slaf and Reinbacher and they surround Suzuki, Caufield and Guhle way, way better.

Slaf, Dach, Reinbacher and Hutson is.quite the haul in two years honestly. If we hit with Newhook these guy will have done a massive, massive job.
Right. Using a first overall pick to insulate the tiny core, headed up by a second liner, with a perpetually concussed pilon with no hockey sense was a great decision.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
KH is quoted has saying that the had him very high on the list but if Reinbacher was a left shot D they may have cooled a bit on him, and that the don’t have much depth on the Right side….

To me this confirm that that we didn’t take BPA and if we weren’t taking BPA available we should have made another team pay to get him… I think this draft was over hyped but still these pass few day there was a lot of miss calculations from KH.

Or maybe his position moved him up in terms of BPA since a RD is harder to find than LD.

I don't even like the pick, at all, but this whole BPA thing is not objective at all. BPA according to who? Internet scouts?

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Others may have said this already, but this feel like 2005 all over again. Habs reach for a player and the city is now on fire.

It is quite obvious now that Kent was ok to trade down, and that this plan was folded by Arizona targeting the same guy he wanted. So the problem for me is not trading down for picking him, but more how is the "/%!/%?"/$ world is this guy that much better the the other options still on the board. I wish I'd been on the scooting meeting to her what was said about him and the other options....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad