Post-Game Talk: 2023 NHL Draft 1st Round post game talk

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Or maybe his position moved him up in terms of BPA since a RD is harder to find than LD.

I don't even like the pick, at all, but this whole BPA thing is not objective at all. BPA according to who? Internet scouts?
KH didn’t say he was the top player on our list he said he was high on our list… if RD is the tie breaker it is one think but at 5 OA there at least 3, BPA available is subjective. KH he said if he was a LD we might of been cooler on him… that mean the same player has a LD might not even be the considered. Reinbacher was probably going to Arizona even if I had Simachev as the best D (he actually played some right D this year) I would not have been happier with the Simachev pick because if you trade down you still get the same guy or guy from the same tier BPA is subjective… PHI pass on Caufeild we passed on Michkov…
If you look at every draft you see significant miss with big D with limited offensive skills and safe floor, all type of player bust but when you pick those guy you pass up a lot of potential for very little reward. I guess we can shit on internet scout there a wide range of quality but NHL scout don’t have a better success rate…

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Two philosophies, we will see who were right.

The Sabres: Probably the last team that need more offensive prospect even less undersized winger (they already have Savoie, Lysell, Kulich, Ostlund all 5'11 or under) decided to go BPA over reaching for position of need with Benson. They will find a taker if the player become a star and they could eventually move pieces to get their defenseman.

The Habs, they are a bit weak at a position and they have to use their 1st pick to fill that void.

We will see who were right 3 or 4 years from now.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I don’t think you can get ahead of yourself like this. If Reinbacher is the top guy on your board you take him.

I think this was probably decided right before they traded for Newhook. I think like @WeThreeKings said, Reinbacher won the tiebreaker against some wingers due to being a RD, and then it was decided that it would be best to address Wing with those two picks in the 30s via Newhook acquisition.
Going to address needs with preconceived ideas is just bad business. So in essence, needs in round 1. and needs in round 2. Just completely the opposite of what it suppose to happen. But I guess we will know in 5-7 years....

Reactions: habsfan891

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co

f*** off with these picks for need. f***ing go BPA.

oof-old-man.gif

That's one ugly quote. Ouch.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I'd have taken both Nemec and Jiricek ahead of him at draft time. Nemec was my number 1 last year, Popcorn was 10th on my list this year.
I'd have taken him ahead of both Nemec and Jiricek at draft time. I had Popcorn second on my list this year and Nemec and Jiricek 4th and 5th last year.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I’d say he’s pretty comparable to both Nemec and Jiricek. Brings some elements of both while also not being as strong in other areas.

Considering everything, he needs to be a top pairing guy to feel good about the pick.

Jul 6, 2016
Even if Habs would have had the 2nd, 3rd or 4th or 7th (like Philly) OA pick, they WOULD NOT HAD drafted Michkov anyway. Most of the posters here knew about it already. So , it's a waste of time and energy complaining about their pick. Reinbacher could play as soon as next year at NHL level and Michkov won't come over to Phily before 2026... if ever. Could be a Klingberg or a Seider kind of player, or a Nemec-Jiricek. Not bad after all.

Trading down with Philly for #7 and #22 and drafting Leonard would had been fine with me, too. I guess Brière knew all along - like us- that habs would not take Michkov anyway.

BUT... did a single reporter ask the question to Hughes WHY he did not pick Michkov.... ? I think none did.

I am more pissed off by the Newhook trade. #31 and #37 could had been good prospects. Hopefully better than Mysak and Tuch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank Drebin

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
Way to early to write Slaf's hockey obituary don't you think? He just turned 19.
Where did I write his obituary? I just don't love the pick. I think Wright, Cooley and even Nemec will have better careers than him. He'll be ok but they'll be better. I hope I'm wrong......

Last edited:

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
Here's something posters here need to realize. You can think Reinbacher is a great prospect and still think the Habs made a big mistake.
It's all about how you voice your opinion and the reasoning you put behind it.

I didn't want Reinbacher either, but there's a difference between being disappointed by the pick and screaming insanities during a hissy fit.

Edit: not saying you did that, just to be clear.

Reactions: Canadienna

ROEN

Writes for Habsworld
Feb 18, 2008
www.habsworld.net
I remember when people on hfboards went ballistic when the Habs didn’t pick Angelo Esposito and Keven Veilleux.

I know one thing about this, it’s fake that they draft by need … they got burned so many times that at this point I think the drafting strategy is purely : would that guy’s brain break in Montreal

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I remember when people on hfboards went ballistic when the Habs didn’t pick Angelo Esposito and Keven Veilleux.

I know one thing about this, it’s fake that they draft by need … they got burned so many times that at this point I think the drafting strategy is purely : would that guy’s brain break in Montreal
Habs drafted Price for “need”, drafted McDonagh & Pacioretty for “need”… every team drafts for “need”, whether you need to address a deficient position or address a certain skill set asset

Reactions: Benstheman

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021

It was not the same level at all. Lol. The only thing that comes close to this was when Savard was not drafted over Wickenheiser. People were pissed. But the Internet didn’t exist.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Here's something posters here need to realize. You can think Reinbacher is a great prospect and still think the Habs made a big mistake.
In fact, in picking Reinbacher they limited the damage. I’m confident he’ll be a regular roster NHLer. In every draft there’s at least 1 or 2, sometimes more in the Top-12 that bust completely.

Reactions: Canadienna

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Habs drafted Price for “need”, drafted McDonagh & Pacioretty for “need”… every team drafts for “need”, whether you need to address a deficient position or address a certain skill set asset

They didn't draft Price for need, they had Theodore who was considered one of the best goalies in the league and coming off a strong season after being voted the MVP of the league two seasons earlier. Mathieu Garon was also highly thought of and they had top NCAA signing Yann Danis as well.

The entire reason for the outrage was that nobody at the time was remotely worried about our goaltending and drafting one seemed by far the least of our priorities. If they were drafting by need they would have drafted Kopitar as we desperately needed a skilled center who was not tiny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad