NFL: 2023 NFL off-season news & notes discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
With camp getting away from weekly roster cutdowns to instead doing one big cut at the end, there hasn't been any notable Hard Knocks drama since covid.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
The reality with the RB position is the wear they get gives them a massive disadvantage in second contracts, and it does not help that Gurley or Zeke ended up backfiring terribly to the point they nearly sunk the Rams and Cowboys contention windows. It's a cruel business and with the current CBA incentivizing surplus value in rookie contracts, we probably won't see anyone get drafted as highly as Bijan let alone Gibbs potentially in the near future. It's just a business and teams are the opportunity cost for heavy investment isn't worth it. I do hope from a human POV they could get paid better but the best solution for that realistically is better pay when in college via NIL.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
They probably will try to create a different scale for RB contracts. Either no team options or you can't franchise a RB. Start the clock on their second contract quicker.

Having an elite RB can make your team better quicker, but don't think it's a huge difference for elite super bowl winning teams. Last one to win the SB with an elite RB, is the Seahawks? off the top of my head.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
They probably will try to create a different scale for RB contracts. Either no team options or you can't franchise a RB. Start the clock on their second contract quicker.

Having an elite RB can make your team better quicker, but don't think it's a huge difference for elite super bowl winning teams. Last one to win the SB with an elite RB, is the Seahawks? off the top of my head.
Yeah, they would ideally find a way for RBs to hit that second contract quicker so the risk of falling off is mitigated some. Tough situation for sure, the genie isn't going back in the bottle as far as passing being king and RBs value diminishing. Having a good running game is nice but isn't dependent on a bell cow RB, and finding competency at RB is the easiest thing to do from a roster building perspective. And to your point, the primary backs for the past 5 SB winners:
Sony Michel
Damien Williams
Leonard Fournette
Cam Akers
Isiah Pacheco

To say you don't need a star RB to win a SB is putting it mildly. They just don't move the needle as much.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Athletes that used to project to playing FB, probably had to switch to D to play LB. Given the build of FB back in the day, they are not tall enough to play TE, since that's a 6'3 or taller position. Very few FB now.

RB, same type of transition moving forward. Move to WR or switch to secondary, most likely Safety at some point in HS if this payment trend continues. In fact, I'd encourage any 15 year old to make that transition now.

If the NFLPA was strong enough to get the tag and 5th year options removed when they agreed to the 17th game, how would that truly help Barkley and Jacobs now?

I think Miles Sanders got the highest AAV at $6.25 million.

Question is what were Barkley and Jacobs looking for? Trying to match CMC 4 year $64 mill with $30 mill guaranteed?

RB do need to hit the market sooner. Plus, in college, they shouldn't be the bell cow for 3 years and take 800 touches before they get to the NFL. That's more wear and tear on them.

Then what happens to the RB position. DeeBoo Samuel didn't want to play RB anymore. I'm sure WR3 and onwards would do it, but if/once they establish themselves as a threat, they won't want to do it anymore unless they were compensated for it.

Sep 19, 2008

i get rb's trying to maximize value in a position where longevity is not the norm, but this just make him look like a diva bitch

get out there and play son

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
indianapolis-colts-unveil-indiana-nights-alternate-uniform-2023-200x200.jpg

Colts new alternates are awful. They look like a high school team that's just using the Colts logo.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
indianapolis-colts-unveil-indiana-nights-alternate-uniform-2023-200x200.jpg

Colts new alternates are awful. They look like a high school team that's just using the Colts logo.
Why black helmets if there is no black in the jersey or pants? Might have just gone blue helmets and changed the logo to white.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

i get rb's trying to maximize value in a position where longevity is not the norm, but this just make him look like a diva bitch

get out there and play son
Barkley is in a better situation than most RB's being the 2OA pick. Has made $38.6 mill in 5 seasons. 5th year option for Barkley was for $7.5 million, so he made $31 mill on his 4 year rookie deal. Jacobs has made $12 million in 4 seasons.

Given that both are unlikely to be in the NFL after 3 more seasons, they have to get what they can.

Who knows what the numbers and guarantees were from the team. Bell, back in the day, was offered a 4/5 year deal from Pitt but only year 1 was guaranteed (or the guaranteed money was only equal to 1 year of average pay).

These RB are seeking 2 years average pay in guaranteed money.

I still think the compromise was to guaranteed the tag for 2 years and give the RB incentives to hit to allow them to get to $14-16 mill if they ball out.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
"first black helmet"

"first heathered jersey"

Its first because its always looked like shit

Reactions: The Note

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think the Colts jerseys look fine. However, they’re calling them ‘Indiana Nights’ and wearing them for Sunday 1pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad