NFL: 2023 NFL off-season news & notes discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It can go both ways.

Carr can hold firm but ultimately if he is still a raider and not cut after the SB and the Raiders sign Brady or a veteran or even draft a WB then Carr is not going to want to sit in the bench behind that guy. But LV still needs to work with him on a destination.

Carr would get more money as a free agent. And can choose his destination. But if LV does not cut him then how difficult does he want to be? Cause he will want to play. And show LV that he’s a top 1/4 - 1/3 of the league QB.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wonder if he sticks it to them by refusing to waive his NTC to force them to release him?
He could but the flip side is that if they don’t cut him and they either sign or draft someone else does he want to show up to camp with LV to prevent getting fined? His salary is guaranteed so long as he’s there. But, being relegated to backup or non starter won’t sit well with him.

That’s the flip side of him playing hardball. But will know quickly after the SB if LV does not cut him.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

Stephen Ross needs to go away.

There is no world where you give up on your 24 year QB who showed signs of taking the next step for a f***ing geriatric.

This is not the Tom Brady of 2020, Stephen. He's old and it's starting to show.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
He could but the flip side is that if they don’t cut him and they either sign or draft someone else does he want to show up to camp with LV to prevent getting fined? His salary is guaranteed so long as he’s there. But, being relegated to backup or non starter won’t sit well with him.

That’s the flip side of him playing hardball. But will know quickly after the SB if LV does not cut him.

Would the team really chance calling his bluff and having a disgruntled backup making 40 million?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Would the team really chance calling his bluff and having a disgruntled backup making 40 million?
I can see it both ways.

But I’m sure Carr would not want to be at camp with a Brady or someone like that or even a rookie and have people question him all during camp. He wants to play to show people he’s a top 10-12 QB. He doesn’t want to sit there an even if he gets cut late or whatever he’s lost the 2023 season not being at the new team during camp and learning the playbook. He knows better than anyone how hard it is to learn a new system even if he knows or has played with several of the O starters in prior seasons.

Plus, any team he goes to, he will redo his contract and instead of just the $33 mill base and $7.5 mill for 2024 guaranteed he’d look to
Get SB money and some other guarantees closer to the $60 mill range total.

He will have final say over where he goes. Be it Carolina, Miami, Jets or whatever. If he doesn’t want to Go to say Washington or TB or wherever he doesn’t have to. He can veto any trade.

Raiders want to move on from him as well. So they aren’t going to hold him for the largest ransom. If a trade is made it’s likely at the wentz barometer but like a 2 plus a conditional 3 which if the team makes the PO it can be a 2. But no 1&2.

With 4 kids he’s like to get this wrapped up sooner rather than later to find a new place to live and get the kid or 2 who are school aged settled before September.

Comes down to how much of a hard stance he wants to take.

Is here a difference between getting cut and getting waived? Similar to the NHL where another team can claim the contract?

Rare to see players play chicken with a team. They have egos and want to play. If they get their money, that’s also important to them as well.

In the nhl, Boeser had a QO of $7.5 mill but settled in a 3 year deal at $6.65 mill AAV. Didn’t push it cause it is guaranteed money for $20 mill vs $7.5 mill.

Last edited:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

The guys behind this series are legit brilliant......7 part series, about 9 hours on the Atlanta Falcons?

Yes, please.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
A guy can build up some nice value by being a backup with a coach who is good with QBs.
First make the 53 man roster, not a Practice squad.

Teams like to just carry 2 QBs on the main 53 man roster and stick a younger guy on the PS that they don’t feel will get claimed.

Will keep 3 QBs on 53 man if it’s a higher pick even if they have them as #3 QB.

Rourke now knows who is competition is. If he’s eyeing these qb needy teams then he is going to have to wait until mid to later March after the vets get signed and until after the draft to see which ones take a QB on days 1 or 2. If he signs now all things can change in a couple to few months and now his chances of making the roster are much lower. Talking $9k/ week on PS or $140k a year vs like $700K on the 53 man roster.

With Jax he knows Lawrence is the starter. Not drafting a QB so it’s an open battle for the backup role.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Odd choice by Rourke especially considering how many shaky QB situations there are league wide.
I had thought about this, and I'm guessing that this was his best chance to win a backup role. He met with like 12 teams, but it was the Jaguars who told him what he wanted to hear obviously. Also he's got a coach who won Super Bowl with a backup and got that guy paid too.

So, go in, win the backup job the next two years, and be ready for your opportunity so that someone wants you later on.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I had thought about this, and I'm guessing that this was his best chance to win a backup role. He met with like 12 teams, but it was the Jaguars who told him what he wanted to hear obviously. Also he's got a coach who won Super Bowl with a backup and got that guy paid too.

So, go in, win the backup job the next two years, and be ready for your opportunity so that someone wants you later on.
Probability from going from cfl starter to nfl starter immediately is limited.

Target the backup spot and if the competition is Beathread he has a chance.

He will get like half the pre season action so
That’s when he has to impress and during camp. I think even if he’s relegated to the PS he sticks it out for 2023 but if he can’t land a backup role in 2024 he returns to the cfl.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Congress should pass a law that sports talk hosts (maybe all of society?) are not allowed to talk about if and where Brady, Rodgers, Carr, L.Jackson will play next season. It's a long eight months and I don't know if I can take it.

My Best-Carey

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Halftime adjustments has to be the biggest disconnect between how the league works and how sports media talks about the game.

Probably more something coaches discuss among themselves than talk to the players about. Like Peyton says, the players use the restroom, and get refueled with some oranges, bananas, protein bar, etc.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
@TheGreenTBer

It's not quite spring, but never too early to plant some seeds

Thanks for that. It's like Santa just came down the chimney and gave me chlamydia.

• Haha
Reactions: SnS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad