NFL: 2023 NFL Gambling Suspensions (6 games: DET Williams, Berryhill, TEN Friere indefinite: DET Cephus, Moore, WSH Toney, IND Rodgers, Berry, UFA Taylor)

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I could go down the list of SOL things over the years that have happened to the Lions and not "every team" but I'll run out of bandwith. I've been a Lions fan for over 35 years now and I know every bit about the Lions over that timeframe so don't assume that I don't have knowledge about every little thing that's happened with this franchise.

The reality is that this is a kid, who they gave up extra draft capital to draft, that has had a string of red flags pop up the last several months from his tantrum during the Green Bay game to the rumors of poor practice habits popping up to him liking the tweet of the Lamar Jackson to Lions rumors and now this. It doesn't look good and he's going down the path of Lion disappointments of which there are too many to name right now so yeah, you can't blame me for being frustrated that this happened again. One playoff win in 32 years so there's every reason for Lions fans to have pent up frustration. An overreaction perhaps but there's a reason for it.

BTW, it wasn't just the players, there were coaches that were involved in this as well so it points to a potential larger culture issue. I thought the Lions were passed that with the new regime but...perhaps not.
I'm 40 years old and have been cheering for them since I was about 6 so I get the frustration. I can just get a little triggered when Lions fan rag on them even though they're clearly headed in the right direction. Didn't bother me during previous regimes since they were all pretty much disasters but Holmes has done well building this team. This is certainly a bump in the road though. I haven't read anything about coaches being involved but that definitely makes it worse.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
The tweet clearly states that Williams and Berrywill didnt bet on football but they made bets at a NFL facility, which seems to imply it was just where they did it that got them 6 games
Rules are rules but that's a completely stupid one. The player's are stupid for breaking it though, assuming they even knew it was a rule.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Rules are rules but that's a completely stupid one. The player's are stupid for breaking it though, assuming they even knew it was a rule.
Not sure what doing it at the facility would impact, so long as they were not betting on NFL games. Should it really matter if you bet at home, at the facility or somewhere else?

Reactions: tacogeoff

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Not sure what doing it at the facility would impact, so long as they were not betting on NFL games. Should it really matter if you bet at home, at the facility or somewhere else?
I agree, it's especially silly considering how much the league promotes gambling. Unfortunately, rules are rules.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm 40 years old and have been cheering for them since I was about 6 so I get the frustration. I can just get a little triggered when Lions fan rag on them even though they're clearly headed in the right direction. Didn't bother me during previous regimes since they were all pretty much disasters but Holmes has done well building this team. This is certainly a bump in the road though. I haven't read anything about coaches being involved but that definitely makes it worse.
Yeah, there were a few coaches that were also involved that were let go back in March. A bit alarming for a regime that has been preaching about no nonsense culture being of most importance since they got here. Of course Holmes and Campbell can't control what others do on their own time but this is a bit alarming tbh.

I've been thrilled with them otherwise but this is a bit of a setback IMO and Jamo needs to get his shit together because he's trending towards bust territory if he can't stop being a knucklehead. I wonder if they change their draft strategy a bit if they feel they can't trust Jamo to be a long term solution.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah, there were a few coaches that were also involved that were let go back in March. A bit alarming for a regime that has been preaching about no nonsense culture being of most importance since they got here. Of course Holmes and Campbell can't control what others do on their own time but this is a bit alarming tbh.

I've been thrilled with them otherwise but this is a bit of a setback IMO and Jamo needs to get his shit together because he's trending towards bust territory if he can't stop being a knucklehead. I wonder if they change their draft strategy a bit if they feel they can't trust Jamo to be a long term solution.
Maybe means they don’t hand him a big second contract. He missed most of last year with the acl. Misses 6 games this year.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Eventually NFL players are going to have an entourage just to place bets for them. These guys are just dumb as a rocks. Then what is the NFL gonna do? Advertise harder for their betting partners.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004

I've read more about the coaches/staff members being involved and yeah that's pretty bad for a regime promoting great culture like you said. Definitely a setback and completely agree about Williams. I was originally more skeptical of the pick because of the injury but his attitude/personality is the bigger concern now. As for the draft strategy, definitely makes me wonder if they would pass on Jalen Carter at 6th overall if he's available.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I've read more about the coaches/staff members being involved and yeah that's pretty bad for a regime promoting great culture like you said. Definitely a setback and completely agree about Williams. I was originally more skeptical of the pick because of the injury but his attitude/personality is the bigger concern now. As for the draft strategy, definitely makes me wonder if they would pass on Jalen Carter at 6th overall if he's available.
Again, I think after 2024 when you need to decide on the 5th year option or not, is when you probably look to take another WR. At Brown can sign a new deal in 2024 off season so he will get paid. JW, in 2025 I’d probably tell him you missed year 1 with an acl and 1/3 of year 2, you are playing out year 4 and then we will talk.

But I would be prepared to draft another WR in 2024 if based on how he conducts himself For the rest of 2023.

Don’t want to be wrong on guys you pay big money to.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009

I agree, was just clarifying that it was solely because it was at the facility they got 6 games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad