NFL: 2023 NFL Gambling Suspensions (6 games: DET Williams, Berryhill, TEN Friere indefinite: DET Cephus, Moore, WSH Toney, IND Rodgers, Berry, UFA Taylor)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Them dudes ain’t nearly important enough to keep around like Ridley was

Reactions: fin8

Reality Check

May 28, 2008

Them dudes ain’t nearly important enough to keep around like Ridley was

Both of those guys may have been cut prior to the season anyhow. Same with Berryhill who I've never heard of.

The only guy of note here for Detroit is Williams. Which may mean Detroit will look at a WR early in the draft. But I tend to doubt it.

Still too much hype surrounding the Lions this offseason. Needed to return to their LO-LIONS reality.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Both of those guys may have been cut prior to the season anyhow. Same with Berryhill who I've never heard of.

The only guy of note here for Detroit is Williams. Which may mean Detroit will look at a WR early in the draft. But I tend to doubt it.

Still too much hype surrounding the Lions this offseason. Needed to return to their LO-LIONS reality.
He’s only suspended 6 games so I doubt that affects things.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

CJ Moore just signed a 2 year deal in March. "May" have been cut, sure, but far from likely

Reactions: DaaaaB's

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Lions have 2 firsts (Rams) and 2 seconds (Vikings). They wouldn't take a WR in Rd 1. Due to the Hockenson trade, would have been more likely to look at TE in round 2 with how deep that class is. They have St. Brown, so how good are their current WR3 and WR4 on the depth chart.

But, they may now be looking for a WR in free agency to fill the void. Maybe look into DHop trade or with another team?

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
If he tweaked an ankle in the preseason, nobody would be talking about trades, etc. No need to change the long term plans of the organization over this with a big trade or high draft pick. This sucks, but players miss games all the time

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If he tweaked an ankle in the preseason, nobody would be talking about trades, etc. No need to change the long term plans of the organization over this with a big trade or high draft pick. This sucks, but players miss games all the time
But, you know now, he's not there for games 1-6. So, need to be prepared to play without him. As you never know what other injuries will occur.

Think they do look to add to the position, but I don't think they alter their early round picks to do so. More of a target for their round 3 pick and or round 5 picks since they moved their 4th in the Hock deal I believe.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
As a Lions fan, I can only laugh. SOL (Same Old Lions for those who don't know) will live on forever or it will die the moment I die.

He’s only suspended 6 games so I doubt that affects things.
It affects things in the sense that Williams had character red flags as is and this just exacerbates those concerns so they might need a long term solution just in case he fouls up again which is possible since the kid seems to lack self awareness.

Reactions: tacogeoff and GKJ

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
CJ Moore just signed a 2 year deal in March. "May" have been cut, sure, but far from likely
You're likely right. But he's also just a special teams guy who was cut before the season last year. Only to be brought back later.

The biggest loss here is Williams, who was expected to take over the #2/3 slot. Thankfully for him and Detroit it's only six games.

Detroit needs too much help on defense to burn an early pick on a WR due to this. I imagine that's why they brought back Marvin Jones and will ride it out until Williams returns.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
He's also their best special teams player who choose to stay with Detroit despite New England offering $1m more per season. Doesn't matter that he was cut after camp last year, that was a bad decision that they eventually corrected and our special teams were a lot better when they did.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
As a Lions fan, I can only laugh. SOL (Same Old Lions for those who don't know) will live on forever or it will die the moment I die.

It affects things in the sense that Williams had character red flags as is and this just exacerbates those concerns so they might need a long term solution just in case he fouls up again which is possible since the kid seems to lack self awareness.
No, it's not the SOL. It's a couple players getting in trouble which happens with every team at some point. Man, I get sick of all the old Lions fans who do nothing but bitch and moan. Get it thru your head that what happened in past decades or even a few years ago has nothing to do with the current team. Most of the old guys who cheer for the Lions can't even name most of the players on the team but act like their a football expert. It's laughable.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
No, it's not the SOL. It's a couple players getting in trouble which happens with every team at some point. Man, I get sick of all the old Lions fans who do nothing but bitch and moan. Get it thru your head that what happened in past decades or even a few years ago has nothing to do with the current team. Most of the old guys who cheer for the Lions can't even name most of the players on the team but act like their a football expert. It's laughable.

I could go down the list of SOL things over the years that have happened to the Lions and not "every team" but I'll run out of bandwith. I've been a Lions fan for over 35 years now and I know every bit about the Lions over that timeframe so don't assume that I don't have knowledge about every little thing that's happened with this franchise.

The reality is that this is a kid, who they gave up extra draft capital to draft, that has had a string of red flags pop up the last several months from his tantrum during the Green Bay game to the rumors of poor practice habits popping up to him liking the tweet of the Lamar Jackson to Lions rumors and now this. It doesn't look good and he's going down the path of Lion disappointments of which there are too many to name right now so yeah, you can't blame me for being frustrated that this happened again. One playoff win in 32 years so there's every reason for Lions fans to have pent up frustration. An overreaction perhaps but there's a reason for it.

BTW, it wasn't just the players, there were coaches that were involved in this as well so it points to a potential larger culture issue. I thought the Lions were passed that with the new regime but...perhaps not.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I think you’re not allowed to bet football at all. But you can’t bet anything while at the facility I guess.

The tweet clearly states that Williams and Berrywill didnt bet on football but they made bets at a NFL facility, which seems to imply it was just where they did it that got them 6 games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad