NFL GDT: 2023 NFC Wild Card Round: (2) Dallas Cowboys vs (7) Green Bay Packers

DAL vs GB

• Total voters

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
No way they bring McCarthy back. No chance.

There are teams that would take Prescott. I'm not sure if you can sell him to Dallas fans anymore after this debacle, but there aren't that many good QB's in the league and very few, if any, are available. There are teams content to just exist and collect profit year after year, but the Cowboys are not one of those teams, expectations are high. Going to be a very important and critical offseason.

I'd be insulting you if I said this didn't please me greatly, but I am genuinely sorry about your Browns. I don't hate them except for DeShaun.

Dallas isn't some mid-tier franchise content with regular reason success. No real Cowboys fan (in other words, not the shit bandwagoners that infest their fanbase like a virus) is content with any regular season of any kind.
I guess the problem here is Jerry hasn't shown to care about post-season success. He rode out Jason Garrett's mediocrity for almost a decade even when each season would end with everyone saying, "Ok, this season's flop has to be it for Garrett."

Jerry is a surprisingly loyal guy who favors some of these relationships over winning. That's especially true with his star players. The Patriots became famous for getting rid of veteran players maybe a season too soon, but Jerry has never believed in that and keeps his guys around as long as he can. Jerry loves Dak, so this decision won't be a cold calculation done strictly about performance and cap impact.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And?

How do you sell him as your QB to the fan base?

They are done with him
How do you sell him? There isn’t a slam dunk better alternative available and no fan really cares about the cap, that’s always someone else’s problem. You can much easier upgrade at coach from McCarthy and have that be the meaningful change than try to upgrade Dak.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I guess the problem here is Jerry hasn't shown to care about post-season success. He rode out Jason Garrett's mediocrity for almost a decade even when each season would end with everyone saying, "Ok, this season's flop has to be it for Garrett."
I find that hard to believe but if there's anyone that would rather lose their way than win someone else's way, it's Jones. Also David Tepper, but he's far worse than even Jones.
Jerry is a surprisingly loyal guy who favors some of these relationships over winning. That's especially true with his star players. The Patriots became famous for getting rid of veteran players maybe a season too soon, but Jerry has never believed in that and keeps his guys around as long as he can. Jerry loves Dak, so this decision won't be a cold calculation done strictly about performance and cap impact.
I suppose you're right but I think this is far more embarrassing than almost any other loss given the circumstances.

I don't think dumping McCarthy is enough. This just feels different. They can't trot out the same team with the same core again and expect anyone to believe it. There's just no excuse for this.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I find that hard to believe but if there's anyone that would rather lose their way than win someone else's way, it's Jones. Also David Tepper, but he's far worse than even Jones.

I suppose you're right but I think this is far more embarrassing than almost any other loss given the circumstances.

I don't think dumping McCarthy is enough. This just feels different. They can't trot out the same team with the same core again and expect anyone to believe it. There's just no excuse for this.
There's no excuse, but they can't do a lot with Dak. He has a no trade clause and far too large of a dead cap hit to cut. Dak is the QB next season. The only question is whether they sign him to an extension to let them bring down his cap hit next season or whether they go into the season with this final year and let him play it out on one last big cap hit.

I agree McCarthy is probably gone, but Jerry isn't a guy I like to predict.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
There's no excuse, but they can't do a lot with Dak. He has a no trade clause and far too large of a dead cap hit to cut. Dak is the QB next season. The only question is whether they sign him to an extension to let them bring down his cap hit next season or whether they go into the season with this final year and let him play it out on one last big cap hit.

I agree McCarthy is probably gone, but Jerry isn't a guy I like to predict.
I forgot about his NTC, my bad. Hard to believe he'd accept a trade away from Dallas to go to some other lesser franchise but it is theoretically possible.

McCarthy is gone. There's just no way he's back. Someone will go for this and he's the easiest to remove.

Thanks for chatting with me given the circumstances. I know this hurts and you are a real fan, one of the best on this site.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

Jerry does care about showing up Jimmy Johnson with postseason success. Just that he wants to do it "his way"...and doesn't like powerful personalities in the HC position.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
HERE WE GO!

I guess Detroit wasn't screwed in their game versus Dallas a few weeks ago. They now have a second home playoff game next week.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Parsons is entering the team option year
Dak entering the final year of his deal

Jerry is gonna have an offseason that is going to be so gawd damn expensive

He is to write those checks from the full guarantees into escrow

We’re talking hundreds of millions for 2 players.

Hell they probably extend lamb too

$400 million is escrow ….. damn

Sep 19, 2008
1705320165719.png

1705320180034.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: TheAngryHank

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
How do you sell him? There isn’t a slam dunk better alternative available and no fan really cares about the cap, that’s always someone else’s problem. You can much easier upgrade at coach from McCarthy and have that be the meaningful change than try to upgrade Dak.

I don’t know.

But how many times/years have we heard Dak is the biggest question mark for Dallas?

How many meltdowns has he had in the post season?

It’s just going to be so incredible tough to sell Dak as the starting QB to fans.
What’s going to be different this time

Already prior to this season plenty were giving up on Dak and ready to move on, plenty said that all that matters is what Dak does in the playoffs. Well he just had another meltdown.

So I just don’t think they can realistically go into next season with Dak as the starting QB and sell that they are serious about winning.

Their young talent is about to get paid, this was their best shot

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Dak will definitely get a big return if made available. Just don’t see where the upgrade is unless it’s in the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad