Golf: 2023 Masters Tournament - Big 3 Edition

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Time for the best week of the year - the 87th edition of the Masters, starting this Thursday, April 6.

The Masters

Weather Forecast

Who's in form? Let's consult the oracles:

The OWGR has a top 3 of Scheffler, Rory, and Rahm.
Data Golf has a top 3 of Scheffler, Rahm, and Rory.
bet365 has a top 3 of Scheffler/Rory and Rahm.

Clearly there is a consensus of 3 guys who've separated from the pack. What do we think the chances are that the winner comes from that group? 30%? Higher?

Apart from them, we've got Tiger playing. Phil will also be making a rare appearance. What do we think the chances are that Tiger outplays Phil? 90%? Higher?

Some other questions... who will contend from the LIV boys? Will the new and improved Max Homa log a top-30 finish at a major for only the 2nd time in his career? Will we see a Monday finish with all the rain in the forecast?

Reactions: TB12

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I have a hard time not picking Scheffler, and honestly I can't see myself choosing other than McIlroy and Rahm if it isn't Scottie. Schauffele if he hits fairways off the tee will be a big threat. Can you call Jason Day a sleeper? Man he's played some damn good golf this season - great to see him on the comeback.

Tiger will outplay Phil for sure.

From LIV Koepka could contend, assuming he's mentally up to it. Smith too, mainly because I'm deferring to course success for them.

Homa is my pick for a top 5 in at least one major this year. At Augusta? I'm not so sure.

Gonna be a great one!

Last edited:

djbard99

Feb 11, 2023
Can’t wait. Good Friday, oilers, EA PGA golf. Gonna be a great week!

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I like Scheffler or Rory right now, slight edge to Scotty. not super high on Rahm at the moment, he's not as hot as he was a couple months ago. Sam Burns is my 'sleeper' pick if you can even call him that.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Certainly like to see Rory complete his career grand slam.
And poor Adam Svensson having to play with Patrick Reed in the first 2 rounds. Rumour has it that Reed is so popular he played a practise round by himself.

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
No he’s just in decline his skills aren’t what they used to be he’s almost 50 years old

I’ve got Cam Smith for the green jacket
Of course he's declining, but never discount the Tiger factor. Besides, other legends have won majors at older ages.

I will admit the field may simply be too strong for him to overcome though. Lots of talent out there.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Of course he's declining, but never discount the Tiger factor. Besides, other legends have won majors at older ages.

I will admit the field may simply be too strong for him to overcome though. Lots of talent out there.
Yeah but those older legends who won didn’t have injury problems like Tiger has he’s already limping around now just can’t see his body holding up at 100% anymore for 72 holes especially at Augusta’s hilly terrain. Not to mention he can’t even play week after week now to stay competitive.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
The leaderboard usually isn't as stacked as this after the first day. Exciting stuff.

All eyes on Brooks for me. I'd love to hop right back on the Big Brooks Bandwagon after a few years' break. We still haven't fully recovered, mentally, from when he talked shit on the rest of the players at the 2020 PGA only to gag on Sunday.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Seems to be putting safe. Not the ballsy Tiger we're used to.
??

His proximity on approach shots was terrible today, drove it decently but he was no where close to the hole all day. He had maybe a couple good birdie looks all round.

The % of lot of his putts for birdie were like single digit make%. With a lot of those distances at Augusta, you’re trying to not 3putt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad