GDT: 2023 IIHF U18 Tournament (April 20-30 @ Switzerland)

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Leonard with 3+2 in a 10-0 win over Switzerland. The US top line now 1-2-3 in tournament scoring.

Funny story by Dave Poulin recalling a Caps skills competition in the 90's. Some Redskins were invited and their kicker, Chip Lohmiller, is from Minnesota. He shot 93 in the hardest shot and outdid Poulin and presumably others.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Leonard with 3+2 in a 10-0 win over Switzerland. The US top line now 1-2-3 in tournament scoring.

Funny story by Dave Poulin recalling a Caps skills competition in the 90's. Some Redskins were invited and their kicker, Chip Lohmiller, is from Minnesota. He shot 93 in the hardest shot and outdid Poulin and presumably others.
Further evidence to show that professional athletes are generally athletic freaks and not just good at one sport. Steph Curry could be a pro golfer if he wasn't one of the best basketball players to ever play. JJ Watt was supposedly good enough to have gone pro in the NHL. Kyler Murray was a first round pick in baseball.

There are a ton of examples of guys who were the best player on their team/in their district/state in every sport in high school and eventually just chose one to be good enough at to play pro.

An NFL kicker being able to shoot 93mph is objectively nuts. That's a first for me.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Guess who is in the stands to watch USA - Czechia... Daniel Briere ('Interim' GM of the Flyers)

Only fuels for what seems inevitable. Flyers love picking US guys in the draft and guys who fit their identity. I feel like (barring a lottery win or a huge faller) they are going to pick one of Smith (likely gone), Leonard, Moore trio. Outside chance that they reach for Perreault but i doubt it. I've felt for months that it's going to be Ryan Leonard. He is a fierce competitor and fits their identity like a glove. Which is sort of a shame because i would love to have him in here.

Then again we are going to get a great player either way. Bedard, Fantilli and Carlsson are likely gone early. Michkov is a very potential faller. Smith is likely gone shortly after the top-3. That's 5. We'll see if either Habs or Coyotes reach for Reinbacher @ 5 or 6, to me that would be one of the spots where he might go. That and Leonard going @ 7 would leave us with Zach Benson (or potentially, Matvei Michkov). Even if it's all 7 forwards gone before us, that would mean a guy like Oliver Moore being there for us.

Exciting times ahead.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yep. Reinbacher is the wild card riser. Michkov the wild card slider probably. Beyond that, Leonard may have indeed elevated himself into the top 7, though Philadelphia does have a need for a center. Moore may be challenged to rise up boards given his role in this tournament behind their top line and Eiserman's. Playing with Terrance & Fine is more of a balanced depth calculation that works for the team but probably won't boost his stock much higher.

I'd narrow it down to Leonard or Moore absent Michkov or someone else sliding. Reinbacher/Dvorsky/Sale are sort of closer than the rest of the field I guess but none are super persuasive. I'm maybe not 100% sold on Moore. There's a lot of projection involved, banking on his elite skating to fuel a high grade pro game. The ceiling is probably higher based on raw tools than anyone else and at a scarce position. He could be more consistently impactful in his role given his tools. He hasn't dominated per se. He's been somewhat overshadowed thus far compared to the top line and Eiserman. But the high octane skating is more or less what they've got to be transitioning towards and from that standpoint it's a pretty easy fit. Based on the skating alone there's fast-track potential in a depth role with pretty immense capacity to move up the lineup.

Edit: As I say that Dvorsky has 1+2 as Slovakia looks to upset Finland. If there's a challenger it may be him.

Last edited:

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Gabe Perreault might just be a riser too. Like the production speaks for itself and his hockey sense is off the charts, although he doesn’t quite jump out on the ice like Smith or Leonard. More subtle but maybe that speaks to his talent.

I think I’d be happy with any of the US kids (Leonard, Moore, Perreault). Also wonder if maybe Benson drops a spot or two. He’s not a center and not defender so that could slide him to us.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Yep. Reinbacher is the wild card riser. Michkov the wild card slider probably. Beyond that, Leonard may have indeed elevated himself into the top 7, though Philadelphia does have a need for a center. Moore may be challenged to rise up boards given his role in this tournament behind their top line and Eiserman's. Playing with Terrance & Fine is more of a balanced depth calculation that works for the team but probably won't boost his stock much higher.

I'd narrow it down to Leonard or Moore absent Michkov or someone else sliding. Reinbacher/Dvorsky/Sale are sort of closer than the rest of the field I guess but none are super persuasive. I'm maybe not 100% sold on Moore. There's a lot of projection involved, banking on his elite skating to fuel a high grade pro game. The ceiling is probably higher based on raw tools than anyone else and at a scarce position. He could be more consistently impactful in his role given his tools. He hasn't dominated per se. He's been somewhat overshadowed thus far compared to the top line and Eiserman. But the high octane skating is more or less what they've got to be transitioning towards and from that standpoint it's a pretty easy fit. Based on the skating alone there's fast-track potential in a depth role with pretty immense capacity to move up the lineup.

Edit: As I say that Dvorsky has 1+2 as Slovakia looks to upset Finland. If there's a challenger it may be him.
Moore is possibly a challenger to Leonard but i would guess that they lean on identity factor more than a positional need. But barring Smith sliding it's hard to believe they'll pick anyone else.

Reinbacher to Montreal or Arizona is a real possibility for me. They both have their biggest need on D and they both picked forwards top-3 last season and picked another forward with their other 1st round pick last summer (Arizona did pick D with their 3rd 1st round pick). The need is there for both teams.

That being said even if there isn't a single slider (looking at you, Michkov and Benson), there will still be a great forward available for us. Either Leonard or Moore would be a good pick for me.

I'm really not that sold on Dvorsky. His skating is a real red flag to me. He's sort of a type that's hard to judge given he's still a really young guy but i don't really see the elite potential there. I think his ceiling is a big, defensively reliable second-line center, and to me, we should aim higher than that. Gabriel Perreault is a similar young guy who i think has a much bigger upside, albeit Dvorsky has a higher floor than him.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Agreed for the most part. Dvorsky's skating will probably improve some but his sense isn't as rare as Moore's speed. That said, Dvorsky does seem to manage to get more out of himself in spite of his limitations. I think he could be a Kopitar lite sort. The sky is the limit for Moore but his sense in some key ways needs to sync up with his skating to dominate to the point he should based on elite physical tools. Ultimately there may not be a great deal of separation between the two if Dvorsky's speed improves and Moore's feel remains so-so. The upside is higher with Moore so you'd think he's 8th at worst. He does show on the PP that he can be a playmaker and has good vision. It's more 5v5 at pace can he slow the game down more mentally? He's not been bad but he has taken a back seat to the top line and Eiserman.

Positional scarcity would place Dvorsky over Perreault for me but I think there's a case for Perreault as early as 11. His offensive IQ is quite strong. There may not be much separating him from Barlow, Wood, Sale, Yager, Danielson, etc. It's more a matter of taste/fit. With the U18s and CHL playoffs winding down for most draft-eligibles I'll likely settle on Dvorsky & Reinbacher rounding out my top 10. I'd opt for Moore over them worst-case but I think they've separated from the field a bit and out of anyone seem the most likely risers.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
USA/Slovakia gets underway at 9 eastern. Sweden/Canada at 1pm in the other semi match.

Some of the Swedes have fortified the top 40 group. Willander looks like a possible late first rounder. Stenberg has played quite well and a couple of their other forwards may go that early. Not sure the Caps will keep their second rounder but it's pretty easy to build a strong group up to where they'll pick. Also have to wonder if maybe one or more of the Russians may slide to that pick (Simashev, But, Gulyayev).

Edit: Hat trick for Smith through two periods as USA is cruising. He's certainly shown well enough for teams in the top four to consider taking him instead of Michkov.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Will Smith with the hat trick to lead the US to a 7-1 win over Slovakia in the semis. Looks like they’ll be playing Sweden who are up 5-2 on Canada late in the 2nd.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Edstrom is a crafty forward for Sweden. It's funny. Canada likely has more top 40 picks this summer than Sweden yet Sweden's fit together far better. Their coaching has seemed suspect all along but they just don't have the horses or the depth this year. Canada's best player has been Celebrini by far. It's a well deserved battle for Gold.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Dvorsky played over 29 minutes in a 4-3 OT loss to Canada for Bronze. Guy's a gamer. Great game.

Dragicevic played 32+ for Canada. Barlow & Wood had goals. Four point game for Wood (1+3).

USA-Sweden coming up at 1 for Gold. Should be another great one. USA will probably need their second and third lines to make an impact.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Ryan Leonard OTGWG as USA comes back from 0-2 to win gold. A couple of big blocks on the PK late for him as well.

All-tournament team: Erliden, ASP, Hutson, Smith, Stenberg, Dvorsky.

Reactions: Calicaps and usiel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad