Graeme Clarke
Nico Daws
Josh Filmon
Nolan Foote
Arseni Gritsyuk
Lenni Hameenaho
Daniil Karpovich
Topias Vilen

As usual, after selecting a player, request a player to be added to the next poll.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
This one is close for me between Casey and Gritsyuk, but I have to give Casey a slight edge for his versatility and the big jump he took this past season.

Add Brennan.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Really feel like Gritsyuk is getting somewhat underrated, I’m going with him here. Casey is right there though. It’s gonna be Grits then Casey. The top-6 looks pretty good still actually.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Really feel like Gritsyuk is getting somewhat underrated, I’m going with him here. Casey is right there though. It’s gonna be Grits then Casey. The top-6 looks pretty good still actually.
Agree. Feels more like tiers.

Luke, Nemec
Akira, Holtz, Gritsyuk, Casey
Vilen, Foote, Filmon, Clarke
Bardakov, Daws, Hameenaho, Karpovich, etc.
Stillman

:)

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
The fact that one of Gritsyuk/Casey will be outside the top-5 is outrageous. And not in a "holy shit our prospect pool is amazing" way, more of a "what the f*** are you people smoking" kind of way.
Who should be out of the top 5 then. Imo all four of the prospects ahead easily deserve to be there.

Reactions: devilsblood

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Might as well go off the board with a player I havent really watched outside clips with Lenni. Just a feeling, almost like in golf, beware the golfer with an ugly swing in a tournament...there are other parts of the game that allow him to get it done and compete. From the clips and video I've seen, he is quick in tight areas and his motor never stops.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Voted for Casey, have him #3 currently behind Hughes and Nemec.

Add Ethan Edwards, Feel like he's a bit underappreciated playing on a stacked Michigan blue line but he flashes a ton of talent even if his game still needs some further refining.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Voted for Casey, have him #3 currently behind Hughes and Nemec.

Add Ethan Edwards, Feel like he's a bit underappreciated playing on a stacked Michigan blue line but he flashes a ton of talent even if his game still needs some further refining.
Edwards was an excellent skater at prospect camp. I think the issue for him is going to be defining his skills. I’ve watched a fair amount of Michigan games and he does t strike me as having any singular skills that standout beyond skating. He’s ok at a bunch of stuff to my eyes but not sure it will translate

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Edwards was an excellent skater at prospect camp. I think the issue for him is going to be defining his skills. I’ve watched a fair amount of Michigan games and he does t strike me as having any singular skills that standout beyond skating. He’s ok at a bunch of stuff to my eyes but not sure it will translate
He's still far from NHL ready at this point but he has a strong base to build off of with his skating and puck carrying ability. I also think he shows a lot of good traits on both sides of the ice, it's just a matter of putting it all together. With Michigan losing their top 3 scorers from last season I expect a more significant role for Edwards this year.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He's still far from NHL ready at this point but he has a strong base to build off of with his skating and puck carrying ability. I also think he shows a lot of good traits on both sides of the ice, it's just a matter of putting it all together. With Michigan losing their top 3 scorers from last season I expect a more significant role for Edwards this year.
Maybe he can play with Casey.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Who should be out of the top 5 then. Imo all four of the prospects ahead easily deserve to be there.
I have a problem with rating goalies that high. Personally, I wouldn't ever put a goalie top-5 unless he's a generational goalie prospect like MAF, Price, Askarov, etc.

I get that Schmid had a great couple of games, but after 30 games we were ready to anoint Blackwood as the heir to Marty's throne. Projecting goalies can only lead to disappointment IMO. He's also technically no longer a prospect according to the NHL definition.

I also think that Holtz's stock dropped significantly this season. He's still a good prospect and I hope he'll make the team in a meaningful role. But I can't ignore that he couldn't hang at the NHL level when called upon. I hope he will this season. But still. Too good for the AHL but not good enough for the NHL is a painful no man's land to be in.

What Gritsyuk is doing in the 2nd best league in the world is something no one has seen since Kaprizov and Panarin. He has pretty much lapped his cohorts in a league where veterans have it made and rookies can eat shit. We also have first hand evidence from @Guadana about his growth, his intentions, and what he plans on for the future. The stats might not look super impressive at first glance, but the tiniest bit of context tells us that what he's doing at his age has superstar wrtitten all over it.

Casey is a guy that's picked his spots phenomenally well. How f***ing impressive do you have to be to get praise on a Michigan team as stacked as the one they had last year? Casey reminds me of Severson in the way he had a tremendous pedigree but somehow slipped to the 2nd round. I think that on +20 NHL teams he could immediately step in and be their best defensive prospect today. The only reason we don't talk about him more is because we have Luke and Simon as two of the best 5 defense preospect in hockey. So he ends up as an afterthought, but Seamus Casey is top-15-20 IMO. I think most teams would kill to have him, but we see him as a novelty.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Imo, every single prospect from 3 to 6 here are very close to one another. I could see an argument for every single one. The gap between them is very small.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I have a problem with rating goalies that high. Personally, I wouldn't ever put a goalie top-5 unless he's a generational goalie prospect like MAF, Price, Askarov, etc.

I get that Schmid had a great couple of games, but after 30 games we were ready to anoint Blackwood as the heir to Marty's throne. Projecting goalies can only lead to disappointment IMO. He's also technically no longer a prospect according to the NHL definition.

I also think that Holtz's stock dropped significantly this season. He's still a good prospect and I hope he'll make the team in a meaningful role. But I can't ignore that he couldn't hang at the NHL level when called upon. I hope he will this season. But still. Too good for the AHL but not good enough for the NHL is a painful no man's land to be in.

What Gritsyuk is doing in the 2nd best league in the world is something no one has seen since Kaprizov and Panarin. He has pretty much lapped his cohorts in a league where veterans have it made and rookies can eat shit. We also have first hand evidence from @Guadana about his growth, his intentions, and what he plans on for the future. The stats might not look super impressive at first glance, but the tiniest bit of context tells us that what he's doing at his age has superstar wrtitten all over it.

Casey is a guy that's picked his spots phenomenally well. How f***ing impressive do you have to be to get praise on a Michigan team as stacked as the one they had last year? Casey reminds me of Severson in the way he had a tremendous pedigree but somehow slipped to the 2nd round. I think that on +20 NHL teams he could immediately step in and be their best defensive prospect today. The only reason we don't talk about him more is because we have Luke and Simon as two of the best 5 defense preospect in hockey. So he ends up as an afterthought, but Seamus Casey is top-15-20 IMO. I think most teams would kill to have him, but we see him as a novelty.

I would argue Blackwood completely deserved the praise and his numerous injuries are what derailed his career.

Posters were saying Ty Smith was going to be a first pair defenseman. Defensemen aren’t the easiest to judge either.

I like Casey, love Grits, and have no problem with the current order. They’ll be prospects next year, they’ll get moved up then.

I posted the old polls, if you think this wrong you should see how hilariously off the old polls are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad