Prospect Info: 2023 HFDevils Prospect Rankings #4

Who is the Devils' #4 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
True, but at the same time, being a crapshoot means a goalie can come out of the lower rounds and become a star.
Absolutely. But I and most people have no way of knowing that, you literally just hope for the best. Which I am, but as far as picking one? I'll never do, because I honestly believe even if I'm right in a goalie being good or bad, it'll be purely chance that I was right. But if I'm wrong, it'll be because I'm an idiot. I'm not saying I'm not an idiot, but a goalie outcome has nothing to do with my smarts.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Schmid, add:
Barabossha
OIP.LK8RwjtHqTu-Y7h7brXBcgAAAA
did the nhl approve his helmet?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I'm usually also wary of touting goalies highly, but I have to go with Schmid for now given what he showed in the playoffs.

Add Daws, por favor.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I think people are really sleeping on Gritsyuk for some reason. I'd say he's neck-and-neck with Holtz right now for #3, and I find it weird he's in 3rd place for the #4 vote.

While we're on the topic, all the Devils Russian prospects are being underrated a bit here. Barabosha is one of the top physical defenders outside the NHL and Orlov is one of the top skating defenders outside the NHL -- both have legit 2nd-pairing-type upside.

If I could nominate one more player for the voting board it would have to be Chase Stillman. People need to stop blaming him for being drafted ahead of Logan Stankovich. There were 16 players taken between Stillman and Stankovich. Alex Holtz was drafted when the Devils could and should have taken Seth Jarvis, but it doesn't make Holtz any less of a top prospect.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think people are really sleeping on Gritsyuk for some reason. I'd say he's neck-and-neck with Holtz right now for #3, and I find it weird he's in 3rd place for the #4 vote.

While we're on the topic, all the Devils Russian prospects are being underrated a bit here. Barabosha is one of the top physical defenders outside the NHL and Orlov is one of the top skating defenders outside the NHL -- both have legit 2nd-pairing-type upside.

If I could nominate one more player for the voting board it would have to be Chase Stillman. People need to stop blaming him for being drafted ahead of Logan Stankovich. There were 16 players taken between Stillman and Stankovich. Alex Holtz was drafted when the Devils could and should have taken Seth Jarvis, but it doesn't make Holtz any less of a top prospect.
Reid Boucher just scored twice as many goals as Grits for Omsk this past reg season. And then 3 times as many playoff goals.

Schmid was the best NJ goalie statistically this past season.

I took the guy who played really well in the NHL.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

YOU just don't want to rank a goalie this high cause you don't like evaluating them :)

As for Holtz, it was a pipe dream, but I REALLY, REALLY liked Quinn at the time, but I would never have drafted him over Holtz, just because of the hype Holtz had and the question marks Quinn had.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

No one would would even think of ranking Stillman as one of our top prospects if we drafted him in the 3rd round and he produced the way he has. He’s closer to a non-prospect than one of our top prospects.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Reid Boucher just scored twice as many goals as Grits for Omsk this past reg season. And then 3 times as many playoff goals.

It wasn't too long ago that many of us were penning in Blackwood as our goalie of the future. Everyone thought the Canes were crazy for trading Nedeljkovic coming off a Calder finalist campaign and he's been well below average in Detroit. Goalies are tough to evaluate and Schmid doesn't have a long enough resume of production to be certain of his NHL future.

Casey put up 29 points in 37 games in the NCAA as a 19 year old defenseman without PP1 opportunities and Gritsyuk won the KHL rookie of the year in 2022 and will immediately head to the NHL when his KHL contract expires.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It wasn't too long ago that many of us were penning in Blackwood as our goalie of the future. Everyone thought the Canes were crazy for trading Nedeljkovic coming off a Calder finalist campaign and he's been well below average in Detroit. Goalies are tough to evaluate and Schmid doesn't have a long enough resume of production to be certain of his NHL future.

Casey put up 29 points in 37 games in the NCAA as a 19 year old defenseman without PP1 opportunities and Gritsyuk won the KHL rookie of the year in 2022 and will immediately head to the NHL when his KHL contract expires.
Grits was pretty clearly on a shooting heater in 2022. He scored one less goal in 27 less games this season. His ppg rate was down fairly significant yoy.

I understand there are different things that could play into that, but it's not like he just had a huge season this past year. It was pretty good.

I've liked Schmid's development since way back in the USHL. And this past season in the NHL, both regular season and playoffs, show a continued upward trend.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
No one would would even think of ranking Stillman as one of our top prospects if we drafted him in the 3rd round and he produced the way he has. He’s closer to a non-prospect than one of our top prospects.
Stillman has a pretty high floor and is a very likely bottom 6 NHL forward. He skates well and plays a two-way high energy game with extreme physicality. He is absolutely a prospect.

It's a pretty foregone conclusion that Alex Holtz is the top right-shooting winger prospect in the Devils organization, but it's a crap shoot as to who will have the best NHL career behind Holtz. Arguments could be made for and against Stillman, Clarke, Hauser, Hameenaho, Squires, Thompson and Moynihan. With Stillman, Moynihan, Hameenaho and Hauser the point scoring is almost ancillary, since all of them employ the type of games which would be projected to bottom 6 roles. The scoring totals are probably more relevant for Clarke, Thompson and Squires -- whose overall games are probably more dependent on offensive production.

Out of all the Devils actual prospects drafted since 2020, the only ones I would say are already "non-prospects" would be Baumgartner, Hurtig, Pytlik and Salminen. Everyone else I'd say still at least has a shot at the NHL.

Boucher is a veteran. Gritsyuk is still a kid. Boucher could never make it as a top 6 NHLer and lacked the qualities to make it in a bottom 6 role. Gritsyuk absolutely possesses top 6 upside, and his developing all-around game suggests he could be a versatile player to slot throughout an NHL lineup.

But I'm not going to argue with you on Schmid. I really like his potential.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Grits was pretty clearly on a shooting heater in 2022. He scored one less goal in 27 less games this season. His ppg rate was down fairly significant yoy.

I understand there are different things that could play into that, but it's not like he just had a huge season this past year. It was pretty good.

I've liked Schmid's development since way back in the USHL. And this past season in the NHL, both regular season and playoffs, show a continued upward trend.
Gritsyuk still put up 40 points in 66 games and finished top 50 in scoring in the KHL this season as a 21 year old.

Matt Murray had an exceptional body of work but peaked between 21-24 and fell off a cliff after. Ilya Samsonov was a former 1st round pick, with good KHL performance and a good rookie season and was non tendered 2 years later. Look at Korpisalo's start to his career and how he performed after his stellar rookie season. I'm hoping Schmid is the solution to our goaltender situation but we've seen tons of goalies over the years that look great early on and fade into mediocrity fairly quickly.

Reactions: My3Sons

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Boucher is a veteran. Gritsyuk is still a kid. Boucher could never make it as a top 6 NHLer and lacked the qualities to make it in a bottom 6 role. Gritsyuk absolutely possesses top 6 upside, and his developing all-around game suggests he could be a versatile player to slot throughout an NHL lineup.

But I'm not going to argue with you on Schmid. I really like his potential.
Not to mention Boucher was an elite AHL level scorer. There's no shame in a 21 year old being less productive than a player that put up 67 points in 53 games and led the AHL in PPG. A 20 year old Jason Robertson scored only 47 points in 60 games by comparison that same year in the AHL.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Gritsyuk still put up 40 points in 66 games and finished top 50 in scoring in the KHL this season as a 21 year old.

Matt Murray had an exceptional body of work but peaked between 21-24 and fell off a cliff after. Ilya Samsonov was a former 1st round pick, with good KHL performance and a good rookie season and was non tendered 2 years later. Look at Korpisalo's start to his career and how he performed after his stellar rookie season. I'm hoping Schmid is the solution to our goaltender situation but we've seen tons of goalies over the years that look great early on and fade into mediocrity fairly quickly.
Murray was probably gonna be really good, but injuries just broke him down. He was also almost emaciated looking when he first came into the league and probably too skinny. Like even skinnier than Ryan Miller (who had a long career and didn't have durability issues) when adjusted for height. I'm not saying that had something to do with how broken down he became, but sometimes I wonder if it did. Especially since he's now listed at over 25 pounds heavier than he was like 5 years ago.

And Korpisalo is a really good goalie and was just being held back by a long nagging hip issue that has since been corrected. Or so I've been told lol. The contract the Sens just signed him to is not the second worst contract of this year's UFA.

But in all seriousness, look no further than the guy he's replacing as someone that flamed out quickly. Went from being the best goalie in the league after Hynes was fired to probably worst goalie in the league after Nasreddine was removed as interim head coach lol.

Your point is definitely taken, but I also don't think it means we shouldn't put Schmid in the top-5 of our current prospects either. Gritsyuk in front of him is fine, but I would definitely put him 5th and no lower.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Murray was probably gonna be really good, but injuries just broke him down. He was also almost emaciated looking when he first came into the league and probably too skinny. Like even skinnier than Ryan Miller (who had a long career and didn't have durability issues) when adjusted for height. I'm not saying that had something to do with how broken down he became, but sometimes I wonder if it did. Especially since he's now listed at over 25 pounds heavier than he was like 5 years ago.

And Korpisalo is a really good goalie and was just being held back by a long nagging hip issue that has since been corrected. Or so I've been told lol. The contract the Sens just signed him to is not the second worst contract of this year's UFA.

But in all seriousness, look no further than the guy he's replacing as someone that flamed out quickly. Went from being the best goalie in the league after Hynes was fired to probably worst goalie in the league after Nasreddine was removed as interim head coach lol.

Your point is definitely taken, but I also don't think it means we shouldn't put Schmid in the top-5 of our current prospects either. Gritsyuk in front of him is fine, but I would definitely put him 5th and no lower.
Don’t get me wrong, goalie prospects can still be very valued but it’s not like Schmid prior to his NHL success this season was being propped up as an elite goalie prospect. Someone like wallstedt I’d rank above everyone not named Hughes and Nemec, but I don’t feel confident in Schmid yet to value him higher than Casey, Holtz or Grits.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I voted for Schmid but I don’t see why that vote requires a big fat dump on Gritsyuk’s head. Or a dumb comparison to him and a 29 year old.

They’re all roughly in same position (that includes Casey), each guy has intriguing qualities and some issues.

Personally I went with the guy who presumably not going to be a prospect next season. The other guys aren’t going anywhere unless they’re traded, so I’ll get to vote for them next year.

Giving Schmid a classy send off.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
YOU just don't want to rank a goalie this high cause you don't like evaluating them :)

As for Holtz, it was a pipe dream, but I REALLY, REALLY liked Quinn at the time, but I would never have drafted him over Holtz, just because of the hype Holtz had and the question marks Quinn had.
I don't want to turn this into another chain of me pumping up Jack Quinn and dumping Alex Holtz, but I always felt like I was being gaslit whenever I talked to people about Holtz vs Quinn or whenever I was reading prospect writers talk about the two. Holtz's hype was basically that he could shoot really damn hard and occasionally accurately. Not a single other standout trait. Meanwhile, Quinn was obviously a better all around player and goal scorer, but people basically just said that he was old for his draft year and he played on too good of a team, so his stats were inflated. I felt like it was never about his actual play, always about his circumstances. His most common linemate on that 67s team was f***ing Mitchell Hoelscher. You want to know why the 67s were so good, it was because of Jack Quinn! It was always Rossi this and Rossi that, ignoring the fact they basically never played together. Holtz had way more question marks as a player, but people were just enamored with one standout trait that has been proven time and time again to not translate well to the NHL. Quinn was one of the more well-rounded winger prospects I had seen come through the draft in some time.

Out of all of the scouting I have done of the NHL draft, the consensus of Holtz being way better than Quinn in 2020 remains to be BY FAR the most confusing general consensus I have ever seen among the scouting community. Made no sense then, and still makes no sense now.

Ending my semi-annual Quinn/Holtz rant lmao

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

And I can role out skaters who did well in lesser leagues but didn't pan out in the NHL, such as:
Not to mention Boucher was an elite AHL level scorer. There's no shame in a 21 year old being less productive than a player that put up 67 points in 53 games and led the AHL in PPG. A 20 year old Jason Robertson scored only 47 points in 60 games by comparison that same year in the AHL.

I voted for Schmid but I don’t see why that vote requires a big fat dump on Gritsyuk’s head. Or a dumb comparison to him and a 29 year old.

They’re all roughly in same position (that includes Casey), each guy has intriguing qualities and some issues.

Personally I went with the guy who presumably not going to be a prospect next season. The other guys aren’t going anywhere unless they’re traded, so I’ll get to vote for them next year.

Giving Schmid a classy send off.
It wasn't a dump on Grits, it was just looking at his numbers. They were good, but imo they didn't warrant him getting the nod over Schmid.

Comparing him to Boucher is not much different then comparing Schmid to Blackwood.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Wheres number five this poll is older than Reilly Walsh
I'll close it in an hour (there's no way to immediately shut it down) and fire the new one up tomorrow

Edit:
In second thought, I'll shut it down at 10 tomorrow and follow it up later in the morning

Reactions: Blackjack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad