Akira Schmid
Artem Shlaine
Cam Squires
Chase Stillman
Tyce Thompson
Topias Vilen
Michael Vukojevic
Yegor Zaitsev
(Bolded = in poll, crossed out = selected)

As usual, after selecting a player, request a player to be added to the next poll.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I’m always wary of goalies and Grits/Casey are right there (3 to 6 are incredibly close imo, I could see a case for interchanging all of them), but I’m going Schmid here based off of last season and his playoff performance.

I’ve been impressed by his poise and positioning. Very big potential.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I’m always wary of goalies and Grits/Casey are right there (3 to 6 are incredibly close imo, I could see a case for interchanging all of them), but I’m going Schmid here based off of last season and his playoff performance.

I’ve been impressed by his poise and positioning. Very big potential.

The man's got ice water in his veins.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I went with Schmid last time, so it has to be Schmid this time. Casey is next on my list.

Add Brennan. I think he has a lot of potential, but then again I tend to like goalies more than most.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
There’s definitely a case for Casey, and he could’ve went at 3 too. As I said, 3 to 6 (Holtz, Schmid, Casey, Gritysuk) is like razor thin.

I look at the prospects' ceilings and probability to be a decent NHLer... basically risk vs reward.

I see Casey as having a potential to be a high end offensive defenseman with adequate defense. I think his probability of success is above average since such players always seem to be in demand, even if they're defensive black holes.

I don't see Holtz's ceiling as that high. As mainly a shooter with some playmaking ability, he's a complimentary piece that's maybe a bit one-dimensional. I give him a moderate chance of success since I don't think his other skills will carry him in the NHL if he doesn't develop into a sniper.

I think Schmid can be an above average starting goalie and has a decent shot at getting there.

Grits is a bit of a wildcard to me. He has a lot of offensive potential and I'm imagining him as a 1st/2nd line tweener as his ceiling. The fact that he has to adapt to the North American game, and that he's not the greatest skater (from what I read) makes him a higher risk for me. I may just be suffering from Gusev PTSD though.

Taking that into account, my ranking is:
Schmid
Casey
Grits
Holtz

Reactions: My3Sons

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I look at the prospects' ceilings and probability to be a decent NHLer... basically risk vs reward.

I see Casey as having a potential to be a high end offensive defenseman with adequate defense. I think his probability of success is above average since such players always seem to be in demand, even if they're defensive black holes.

I don't see Holtz's ceiling as that high. As mainly a shooter with some playmaking ability, he's a complimentary piece that's maybe a bit one-dimensional. I give him a moderate chance of success since I don't think his other skills will carry him in the NHL if he doesn't develop into a sniper.

I think Schmid can be an above average starting goalie and has a decent shot at getting there.

Grits is a bit of a wildcard to me. He has a lot of offensive potential and I'm imagining him as a 1st/2nd line tweener as his ceiling. The fact that he has to adapt to the North American game, and that he's not the greatest skater (from what I read) makes him a higher risk for me. I may just be suffering from Gusev PTSD though.

Taking that into account, my ranking is:
Schmid
Casey
Grits
Holtz
That looks fair to me. I still have high hopes for Holtz and believe he could be a 25-30 goal scorer if put in the right position and that’s why I voted for him at #3.

I put some stock in his AHL career so far, and I truly believe he hasn’t gotten a legit shot to play to his strengths with the big club yet. I also think his playmaking abilities are underrated and his skating issues are overblown (he’s an average to above average, but not bad imo).

If he gets a fair shot and fails this year, he’ll drop in my rankings next year.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
I am voting Schmid here. He is my #3 ranked prospect. My #4 ranked prospect is Seamus Casey. My current rankings:

1. Luke Hughes
  2. Simon Nemec
  3. Akira Schmid
  4. Seamus Casey
Add Nico Daws

I went with Schmid last time, so it has to be Schmid this time. Casey is next on my list.

Add Brennan. I think he has a lot of potential, but then again I tend to like goalies more than most.
Any reason you like Brennan in particular? I have not really seen a lot to be optimistic about with him, as I have him #4 on the goalie prospect depth chart behind Schmid, Daws, and Malek.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Gritsyuk is third(Someone may dream and hope that he will not come, but he will come and will produce more than 50 points in his nhl career, as someone may dream about).
Holtz is fourth.

Again I cant vote for goalies. It’s very hard to predict, if he will become nhl starter he should be more important than any player outside top 5, or even more important. If he is legit back up than he isnt more important than top 6/9 F/top 4 D. If he is ok/below average backup goaltender, he can be less important than 4th line center. And the difference could be in 0.5%.

I like candidates for voting and don’t want to add someone in the moment.

Last edited:

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I went with Casey.

Schmid is older and had a great season for us. I think without him the Devils don't necessarily move Blackwood 100% or panick after Vitek's weak playoff performance.

Casey is a great prospect who had a great rookie season with. Michigan. He should he getting a bigger role this year so it will be worth seeing if his game takes a step forward.

A top 4 Dman is just as valuable to a team as a backup goalie. They play pretty much every game as long as they are healthy enough. We still have to see how good Schmid is at the NHL level and if he can develop into a top 15 starting goalie in the league. If he can than in the long run he edges out Casey in importance. Casey wouldn't be a any other teams #1 prospect but he would be top 3 in pretty much every teams prospect pool. He's good and has potential to be what we hoped Ty Smith would be except Casey will be a better skater for sure.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
I'm a fan of Schmid and am glad he's starting the year in the NHL but I've seen too many goalies/goalie prospects that have had a strong year or two and then fizzle out to rank him above Casey or Gritsyuk. Even more "proven" young goaltenders like Blackwood, Merzlinkins, Peterson, Murray, etc.. had more production before becoming barely NHL caliber goaltenders a few years after their debuts.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I hope Schmid becomes our next Marty, but goalies to me are a crapshoot. Very few are just amazing their entire career, and besides that, I have a hard time looking at Schmid like a "prospect" even with the rules laid out. The way he played to end the season and especially in the playoffs, I get by the rules he is a "prospect" but unless we trade for another goalie, he is part of the team already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad