Prospect Info: 2023 HFDevils Prospect Rankings #4

Who is the Devils' #4 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
And I can role out skaters who did well in lesser leagues but didn't pan out in the NHL, such as:

It wasn't a dump on Grits, it was just looking at his numbers. They were good, but imo they didn't warrant him getting the nod over Schmid.

Comparing him to Boucher is not much different then comparing Schmid to Blackwood.

Reid Boucher was in the AHL when he was 21. You don’t get much from comparing 21 and 29 year old players. It’s more like comparing Schmid and Hellebuyck. (Or pick a random older goalie.)

Reactions: Guadana and Xirik

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
And I can role out skaters who did well in lesser leagues but didn't pan out in the NHL, such as:

It wasn't a dump on Grits, it was just looking at his numbers. They were good, but imo they didn't warrant him getting the nod over Schmid.

Comparing him to Boucher is not much different then comparing Schmid to Blackwood.
that's where you are wrong. Schmid does not claim to be a doctor nor does he play one on TV.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don't want to turn this into another chain of me pumping up Jack Quinn and dumping Alex Holtz, but I always felt like I was being gaslit whenever I talked to people about Holtz vs Quinn or whenever I was reading prospect writers talk about the two. Holtz's hype was basically that he could shoot really damn hard and occasionally accurately. Not a single other standout trait. Meanwhile, Quinn was obviously a better all around player and goal scorer, but people basically just said that he was old for his draft year and he played on too good of a team, so his stats were inflated. I felt like it was never about his actual play, always about his circumstances. His most common linemate on that 67s team was f***ing Mitchell Hoelscher. You want to know why the 67s were so good, it was because of Jack Quinn! It was always Rossi this and Rossi that, ignoring the fact they basically never played together. Holtz had way more question marks as a player, but people were just enamored with one standout trait that has been proven time and time again to not translate well to the NHL. Quinn was one of the more well-rounded winger prospects I had seen come through the draft in some time.

Out of all of the scouting I have done of the NHL draft, the consensus of Holtz being way better than Quinn in 2020 remains to be BY FAR the most confusing general consensus I have ever seen among the scouting community. Made no sense then, and still makes no sense now.

Ending my semi-annual Quinn/Holtz rant lmao

Is this going to be like me with Shero trading 2nds or @Bleedred with… lots of things lol?

Quinn does look great, I was skeptical because he was a late riser, so I was Team Jarvis. I now think Quinn might surpass him (not that Jarvis isn’t doing well). Quinn’s Achilles injury is huge bummer, we’ll have to wait on that.

I mentioned this in another thread, I went to two Utica/Rochester 2021-22 playoff games, and surprisingly it was Peterka who stood out. Granted, he scored 4 goals, including a hat trick in their 4-3 win lol, but he was just a whirlwind. His pace and compete was off the charts, just bonkers and it stood out in those games in an incredible way. I’m a big pace proponent now. Gimme pace baby lol.

1st Game:

6-3 Utica win (fun!) score sheet
Utica 40 shots
Zetterlund 1A 7 shots 0
Holtz 5 shots +1
Thompson 1G 2 shots +2
Foote 2A 1 shot +1
Okhotiuk 1A 1 shot +2
Bahl 1 shot 10 PIM +1 (Amerks were little bitches at the end he had to shut that down.)
Vukojevic 1 shot 0
Daws W

Rochester 22 shots
Peterka 1G 4 shots -1
Quinn 2 shots -1
Krebs 0 shots -1
Aaron Dell loss lol

4-3 OT (less fun) score sheet

Utica 19 shots
Zetterlund 1A 4 shots 0
Bahl 2 shots 0
Thompson 2 shots -1
Holtz 1A 1 shot -1
Foote 1 shot -1
Okhotiuk 1A no shots +1
Mukhamadullin 1A no shots -3
Vukojevic no shots 0
Daws L

Rochester 29 shots
Peterka 3G 7 shots +2 (1st star)
Krebs 3A 1 shot +3
Quinn 1A 1 shot -1
Dell W

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
No one would would even think of ranking Stillman as one of our top prospects if we drafted him in the 3rd round and he produced the way he has. He’s closer to a non-prospect than one of our top prospects.
Again, we all would agree the Devils top RW prospect is Alexander Holtz.

But as far as 2nd best goes, I really think you could argue virtually any order among Clarke, Moynihan, Stillman, Hauser, Hameenaho and Squires. They all have plusses and minuses. I'd say Moynihan and Stillman have the best chance to make it as NHL regulars of the group because they're ideally suited to bottom 6 roles. As far as upside, I'd probably put Clarke or Squires atop the list. Hauser and Hameenaho both possess some really nice qualities, but both need to really improve the skating to make the NHL.

Right now, I probably like Stillman and Moynihan the best out of the group after Holtz, simply because I don't think any of the rest have notably high-end upside and those are two kids who can become really good bottom 6 Fs.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Hameenaho almost scored as many points in the world juniors showcase as Moynihan scored his entire last season. :sarcasm:

If Moynihan struggles that much to produce as a senior in college it looks hard for him to contribute at the NHL level in the future, even in a checking or energy role. Those guys still need to contribute somewhat.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Again, we all would agree the Devils top RW prospect is Alexander Holtz.

But as far as 2nd best goes, I really think you could argue virtually any order among Clarke, Moynihan, Stillman, Hauser, Hameenaho and Squires. They all have plusses and minuses. I'd say Moynihan and Stillman have the best chance to make it as NHL regulars of the group because they're ideally suited to bottom 6 roles. As far as upside, I'd probably put Clarke or Squires atop the list. Hauser and Hameenaho both possess some really nice qualities, but both need to really improve the skating to make the NHL.

Right now, I probably like Stillman and Moynihan the best out of the group after Holtz, simply because I don't think any of the rest have notably high-end upside and those are two kids who can become really good bottom 6 Fs.

Eh, not particularly confident in Moynihan at this point, he’ll be 23 when he goes pro and who knows if he even signs with us.

He hasn’t built much on what was a pretty promising start in college, his ceiling might be very low.

I would be happy to have him in our system but it would be the equivalent of grabbing one of the better NCAA FAs.

Hameenaho have more upside by having more talent, something you need to make the NHL. Even bottom six players have to be pretty damn good.

Clarke could easily be a tweener, the guys in juniors could just be juniors players, but that speaks to the general mediocrity of prospect pool past the top few guys.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
It's a pretty foregone conclusion that Alex Holtz is the top right-shooting winger prospect in the Devils organization, but it's a crap shoot as to who will have the best NHL career behind Holtz. Arguments could be made for and against Stillman, Clarke, Hauser, Hameenaho, Squires, Thompson and Moynihan. With Stillman, Moynihan, Hameenaho and Hauser the point scoring is almost ancillary, since all of them employ the type of games which would be projected to bottom 6 roles. The scoring totals are probably more relevant for Clarke, Thompson and Squires -- whose overall games are probably more dependent on offensive production.

Steven. Steven-Steven-Steven... let's talk with you.
Lenny has top-6 potential. He is managing the game with good two way impact. If you worry about his skating(like me), than we should worry about his ability to play in NHL. If he is capable, he isn't bottom player, he is top-6/middle-6 player.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I don't want to turn this into another chain of me pumping up Jack Quinn and dumping Alex Holtz, but I always felt like I was being gaslit whenever I talked to people about Holtz vs Quinn or whenever I was reading prospect writers talk about the two. Holtz's hype was basically that he could shoot really damn hard and occasionally accurately. Not a single other standout trait. Meanwhile, Quinn was obviously a better all around player and goal scorer, but people basically just said that he was old for his draft year and he played on too good of a team, so his stats were inflated. I felt like it was never about his actual play, always about his circumstances. His most common linemate on that 67s team was f***ing Mitchell Hoelscher. You want to know why the 67s were so good, it was because of Jack Quinn! It was always Rossi this and Rossi that, ignoring the fact they basically never played together. Holtz had way more question marks as a player, but people were just enamored with one standout trait that has been proven time and time again to not translate well to the NHL. Quinn was one of the more well-rounded winger prospects I had seen come through the draft in some time.

Out of all of the scouting I have done of the NHL draft, the consensus of Holtz being way better than Quinn in 2020 remains to be BY FAR the most confusing general consensus I have ever seen among the scouting community. Made no sense then, and still makes no sense now.

Ending my semi-annual Quinn/Holtz rant lmao
It's sad I really don't remember our talks and our sing in unison. You are translating my position now, when I thought I was the only fighter in the field when I putted Quinn over Rossi. And of course over Holtz. He was my next pick after Sanderson and Raymond. We should connect more regularly.

Screenshot_20230805-133321_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Reid Boucher was in the AHL when he was 21. You don’t get much from comparing 21 and 29 year old players. It’s more like comparing Schmid and Hellebuyck. (Or pick a random older goalie.)
Schmid had better numbers then Helle’s this past season. So the comparison works for my side of the argument.

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Schmid had better numbers then Helle’s this past season. So the comparison works for my side of the argument.
I don`t remember is it you who was mentioned Boucher. And in case of Holtz past season and Casey.
Gritsyuk`s 40 points is ten best result in KHL for U22 players. His season wasn`t bad or just ok to good. He is a good skater with good skills and with some size. So may be we can put Schmid over him, at least he showed something real in NHL(even on the short track). But that`s all.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don`t remember is it you who was mentioned Boucher. And in case of Holtz past season and Casey.
Gritsyuk`s 40 points is ten best result in KHL for U22 players. His season wasn`t bad or just ok to good. He is a good skater with good skills and with some size. So may be we can put Schmid over him, at least he showed something real in NHL(even on the short track). But that`s all.
Yes it was I.

And while it may have come off as dumping on Grits, that wasn’t my intention. I was merely noting that Schmids good NHL numbers trumps Grits’s “good for a U22 in the KHL” numbers. Imo at least.

I didn’t vote for #3 but I probably would have put him above Holtz. And i could see going Grits over Holtz though I think I like Casey over them both.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Yes it was I.

And while it may have come off as dumping on Grits, that wasn’t my intention. I was merely noting that Schmids good NHL numbers trumps Grits’s “good for a U22 in the KHL” numbers. Imo at least.

I didn’t vote for #3 but I probably would have put him above Holtz. And i could see going Grits over Holtz though I think I like Casey over them both.
Okay. Than Boucher example was bad, we can name much more bad players who was successful in ncaa and done nothing after, in AHL or KHL, not even in NHL.

Schmid example - okay, success in NHL. I can take it. Its your priority, you said it.

Than we take Gritsyuk above Casey, because he has success in a way above competent league, its an adult level. And he has ok size, skating and skill. Casey hasn't size and will be able to play defensive role, where he will be challenged much more.

And Gritsyuk played well his previous season, Holtz didn't. And Gritsyuk has better skating. He has skill to. So we have Gritsyuk over Holtz.

In the end. If we compare Gritsyuk, Holtz, Schmid and Casey in skills, size, skating, success and results on higher level, than we can have Schmid over everybody, because he is big, mobile, has good track record and show something on nhl level.
But the next one is Gritsyuk. Because he has skill(like Holtz and Casey), he is good skater (better than Holtz), he played well on previous season(Holtz didnt), he is athletic with ok size(Casey isn't, and its not an easy thing to achieve for him for obvious reasons), and he shows results in much more competent league(than Casey, Holtz giving results in AHL, but its weaker league, but I'm ok to not counting it, I believe he would be okay in KHL).

Its arguments and consistent thinking. For now Gritsyuk is number four. It could change easily. If Holtz will start to produce in nhl level. Than, no matter how people like Casey, he immediately is going to be number 4. And if Scmid is still a backup, than Holtz is number 3.

Why I can't like my own message.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I thought he looked small and frail in that summer picture standing next to that buff guy.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I thought he looked small and frail in that summer picture standing next to that buff guy.
M37k2nKJgbY.jpg
downloa222d.jpeg.jpg
downloarrrrd.jpeg.jpg

Photo with men was made year ago, first two photos are actual.

And I forgot. Between all four our prospects we are talking about now he is the most attractive.
download23323.jpeg.jpg
Holtz is pretty handsome, but Casey is a mousy dwarf and Scmid is a forest troll.

My3Sons

Sponsor
View attachment 733820
View attachment 733821
View attachment 733822

Photo with men was made year ago, first two photos are actual.

And I forgot. Between all four our prospects we are talking about now he is the most attractive.
View attachment 733824
Holtz is pretty handsome, but Casey is a mousy dwarf and Scmid is a forest troll.
Look at him in that second picture. He looks tiny compared to the guy standing next to him in the red bathing suit. And again in that bottom photo where he is wearing black pants he is small compared to the other guys.

• Haha
Reactions: TBF1972 and Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Look at him in that second picture. He looks tiny compared to the guy standing next to him in the red bathing suit. And again in that bottom photo where he is wearing black pants he is small compared to the other guys.
He is trying to be fast scoring winger. Other guys are mostly defensemen. Player from the second picture is power forward.

Reactions: My3Sons

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad