• Poll closed .

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Team A: Has okay forwards, Skilled prima donna's on defense that can't work together in a system and a great goalie.

team B: has Has great forwards, okay Defense and a mystery box in net

I can see why this went to a tie.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Yeah, the Rags relied way too much on goaltending. I think 4 is too high for both teams, but I'll go Leafs here.

Took the Leafs but the Blues are a better option for 4th really and heck Edmonton might be better constructed for a SC run than the NYR who have 5 on 5 issues big-time.

Reactions: socko

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
The disadvantage in net is too glaring. If Leaf’s had average goaltending I’d vote for them.
I agree. I just see a better chance of a Leafs goalie getting hot than I do of the Rangers suddenly becoming competitive 5 on 5 with elite teams.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
How is a team that is losing a poll about whether they’ll make it past the first round of the playoffs, coming in 4th place in the Stanley cup favorites poll? Someone from the Leafs board is either posting on their board or DM’ing people to vote
Nothing screams Leaf fans like voters: named bambamcam, Isless55, Howe's Elbows and DEVILS130 :laugh:

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I agree. I just see a better chance of a Leafs goalie getting hot than I do of the Rangers suddenly becoming competitive 5 on 5 with elite teams.
They just made the final four doing that. Leafs haven't made it past the final 16 in forever.

What about the disadvantage in forwards and especially Centers ?
Its much smaller than the disadvantage than the goaltending advantage the Rangers have. Lets put it this way:

Rangers offence 8 << Leafs offence 9.5
Rangers defence 8 = Leafs defence 8.0
Rangers goalies 9.5 >>>> Leafs goalies 6.0

I value having good goaltending. Shitty goaltending has blown a lot of series for the Caps over the years.

Last edited:
Reactions: AvroArrow

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Nothing screams Leaf fans like voters: named bambamcam, Isless55, Howe's Elbows and DEVILS130 :laugh:
That’s just devil & isle fans voting against the Rangers lol. leafsfan5, 91leafstavares91, dionthefluff, and people with location: Toronto are probably leaf fans.
Only see one Ranger fan other than myself who voted for us so far. Even one of our heated rivals (Caps) fans clicked like on my post saying that and voted Rangers lol.

Obviously people prefer voting for their team, I’m just saying there is a bizarre discrepancy here. Doesn’t make sense that they’re voted the 4th cup favorite meanwhile losing a poll about whether they’ll even make it out the first round

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
They just made the final four doing that. Leafs haven't made it past the final 16 in forever.

Its much smaller than the disadvantage than the goaltending advantage the Rangers have. Lets put it this way:

I value having good goaltending. Shitty goaltending has blown a lot of series for the Caps over the years.

How do people come up with these numbers?

HDCF%
Toronto - 2nd (Toronto gave up 496 HDCA)
NYR - 26th (NYR gave up 573 HDCA)

NYR (at 5v5) was one of the most porous defensive teams in the league. The difference between NYR and some of the lottery teams, in terms of 5v5 play, was basically a Vezina calibre goaltender.

Rangers offence 6 < < < Leafs offence 10
Rangers defence 6 < Leafs defence (9th in xGA) 8
Rangers goaltending 10 > > > Leafs goaltending 5 (I hope?)

It's crazy how much Shesty covered up last year. If he takes even a 10% step back in GSAA, the Rangers may struggle to even make the playoffs.

Btw, I am looking at offence and defence as total systems, not position players.

That’s just devil & isle fans voting against the Rangers lol. leafsfan5, 91leafstavares91, dionthefluff, and people with location: Toronto are probably leaf fans.
Only see one Ranger fan other than myself who voted for us so far. Even one of our heated rivals (Caps) fans clicked like on my post saying that and voted Rangers lol.

Obviously people prefer voting for their team, I’m just saying there is a bizarre discrepancy here. Doesn’t make sense that they’re voted the 4th cup favorite meanwhile losing a poll about whether they’ll even make it out the first round

Why doesn't it make sense?

Read the thread about the first round a bit closer - most people are saying something like "I hope they lose again, but if they win a round, I could see them going deep". Basically, you have 30 fanbases hoping to keep the meme going strong, but actually like Toronto's team.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA

That's one way of looking at it. But which team looked more competitive with the Lightning? Easily Leafs. The Rangers didn't even look like they belonged.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
How do people come up with these numbers?

HDCF%
Toronto - 2nd (Toronto gave up 496 HDCA)
NYR - 26th (NYR gave up 573 HDCA)

NYR (at 5v5) was one of the most porous defensive teams in the league. The difference between NYR and some of the lottery teams, in terms of 5v5 play, was basically a Vezina calibre goaltender.

Rangers offence 6 < < < Leafs offence 10
Rangers defence 6 < Leafs defence (9th in xGA) 8
Rangers goaltending 10 > > > Leafs goaltending 5 (I hope?)

It's crazy how much Shesty covered up last year. If he takes even a 10% step back in GSAA, the Rangers may struggle to even make the playoffs.

Btw, I am looking at offence and defence as total systems, not position players.

Why doesn't it make sense?

Read the thread about the first round a bit closer - most people are saying something like "I hope they lose again, but if they win a round, I could see them going deep". Basically, you have 30 fanbases hoping to keep the meme going strong, but actually like Toronto's team.
I think actually going deep, having a 2-0 series lead in the conference final against the back to back cup champs; is more indicative of ability to go deep than these analytics are. We were 2 wins away from the cup final

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

Fair enough, I see the gap in forwards a bit bigger than that though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad