Votes: 4 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
Graduated: Slafkosky, Guhle, Barron, Harris, Xhekaj, Ylonen, Harvey-Pinard

Not calder eligible anymore, so not in this list.

I should have explain myself better. I mean, when we check the years before where we were all raking him in the system.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Imo:
Farrell has better skating, vision, motor, and playmaking ability. He's more dynamic.

Roy has a better shot and is bigger. He's more of a complimentary piece on a line rather than a driver (like Farrell).
I don't think he has a better vision, neither better playmaking ability . They have both very good hockey IQ

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I should have explain myself better. I mean, when we check the years before where we were all raking him in the system.

It takes a lot to overcome being a small overager. He didn't have much pedigree and we've seen more than a few guys like that never make it out of the AHL.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
True. He did well way beyond expectations. We still voted Khisamutdinov in front of him tho.

That only happened in their draft year where Arsen was drafted 30 spots ahead of him so it's pretty natural people placed Arsen in front. Arsen also quickly dropped to irrelevance while RHP climbed up the rank (he did drop in 2022 but we had 4 top 62 picks + Xhekaj + Barron joining in).

2022 RHP 20
2021 RHP 16 AK 37
2020 RHP 25 AK 33
2019 AK 26 RHP 29

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Imo:
Farrell has better skating, vision, motor, and playmaking ability. He's more dynamic.

Roy has a better shot and is bigger. He's more of a complimentary piece on a line rather than a driver (like Farrell).

Farrell is extremely weak on the puck and small perimeter players rarely work out. That is not to say that I don't think he is a good prospect but Roy's puck protection skills and ability to work through contact and to create offence in the dirty areas are far more translatable to the NHL than Farrell's current skills are.

If Farrell can gain some significant strength/mass and learn to be effective in the middle of the ice then he could flip my opinion.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I wasn't around these parts when Poehling was around so I am wondering what he was like prior to his NHL debut outside of just looking up his stats. Did he looking like a sure fire star or have noticeable weaknesses to his game?

My deal with Hutson and I think a lot of people is that while he looks like a superstar against his current competition its hard to tell how he will survive in the NHL.

Quinn Hughes is a smart and a magnificent skater
Spurgeon is a smart and scrappy little brother that always makes sure that he "gave as good as he got"
Fox is smart and seems to be able to see plays with a birds eye view
Hutson is smart and ????

All in all I guess I'm surprised even though Hutson was only picked with 50%, The easier safer choice wasn't picked and instead went for the more risky "Boom" or "meh" prospect.

If Hutson hits his ceiling and becomes a star in the NHL it would be impossible for anyone to deny that hockey has fundamentally changed
------------

Sidenote- I like that Beck is getting more love now.

The biggest mistake that I made with Poehling was grossly overestimating his intelligence. I basically saw him as a physically imposing version of Danault who would we very adept on the PP in front of the net and also be a top pk'er. If I had even met the guy once in person my entire opinion would have changed. He also seemed like a very mature kid but the opposite turned out to be true.

Reactions: jrom

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Farrell has bigger upside than Roy

These kinds of statements are so incredibly subjective and are more often than not baseless. I believe that this is your opinion and you are absolutely entitled to have/share said opinion but when people define "upside" differently the discussion is doomed from the start. I personally think that Roy is more likely to be an impact player in the NHL than Farrell, the upside thing is a red herring imo and leads to a breakdown in discourse.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I think after all the preseason camps and tournaments Beck is going make lots of people realise how big of a catch he is. He did it the same time last year and he will do it again.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I think after all the preseason camps and tournaments Beck is going make lots of people realise how big of a catch he is. He did it the same time last year and he will do it again.
I think we all love Beck, but kid projects more like a solid third line center in the making than a top 6. Meanwhile a kid like Engstrom flashes alot of upside both offensively and defensively.

Reactions: 26Mats

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Can't look worse than Poehling over Suzuki 5 years ago lol. At least we know Hutson has talent.
And now people are voting Beck over Engstrom and Roy.

Imo:

Youre cray if you think Roy doesnt have better vision and playmaking than Farrel. He literally got drafted 1st OA in the Q off of that alone.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Youre cray if you think Roy doesnt have better vision and playmaking than Farrel. He literally got drafted 1st OA in the Q off of that alone.

Why would I put any weight on where Roy got drafted in a junior draft 4 years ago?

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Because thats pretty telling. Going 1OA in the CHL draft is a pretty good indicator of skill level. Roy was a terrible shooter when he got drafted, yet he still made it.

It's completely meaningless when comparing 20-21 year old players. The NHL draft is a far better indicator than the CHL draft, and even that has a lot less meaning when the players have had 2-3 more seasons of development since. Farrell and Roy would be going a lot higher than the 4th and 5th rounds in a redraft.

Kennedys

Jul 22, 2015
Saguenay
1688701095458.png

Reactions: HomeAndHome

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
And now people are voting Beck over Engstrom and Roy.

Farrell's vision and playmaking are about on the same level as Roy, the difference Farrell brings it at a higher pace and the skating isnt as bas as Roy'one. Roy is talented, but lacks pace, motor and the skating still needs alot of work. We will see how he does at camp, but those tools are very important once you reach the pros.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Farrell's vision and playmaking are about on the same level as Roy, the difference Farrell brings it at a higher pace and the skating isnt as bas as Roy'one. Roy is talented, but lacks pace, motor and the skating still needs alot of work. We will see how he does at camp, but those tools are very important once you reach the pros.
The fact Roy can have better results than Farrel despite his pace and skating is pretty telling that hes a superior talent all accross the board.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
19th in goaltending is weird with Dobes, Fowler and Miller in the system.

Better results?? You are trying to compare Q production vs NCAA production?
I mean leading the Q as a D+1 is more impressive than leading the USHL. His WJC was impressive, while Farrell didnt make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad