• Riley Kidney

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jayden Struble

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Mailloux certainly has high potential but his decision making has not impressed me any time I watch him, whereas Engstrom's has every time.

Going Engstrom

Reactions: KFlint and bcv

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
At this point it's a mushy middle tier, depends on what you favor, I took Roy
Roy, Mailloux, Engstrom and Beck

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I went with Roy even though I have concerns with his skating and how that translates to the next level. Good thing is we have time with him and he seems like a kid that will put in the effort to make it better.

So cerebral, so clutch.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Beck

Engstrom/Roy/Mailloux in the same tier but slightly behind for me.

Add Norlinder
I have it similar:

Mailloux

Engstrom/Roy/Beck in the same tier.

Hard for me to evaluate Engstrom, though I like everything I've seen and heard. Roy has a high ceiling. Beck has a probability of reaching his floor and being a very effective player at helping us win in the playoffs.

Mailloux's tools are off the charts. I still do need to get more information on the toolbox though. I hope he and Barron aren't the next Beaulieu's.

Reactions: HomeAndHome

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Maillouxs tools are being used to talk about his place here but we completely ignore that Engstrom is just as good a skater, has size, similar skills, better hands and is actually reliable and a positive player IQ wise.
Not sure Engstrom is as good of a skater as Mailloux, or that he has better hands and offensive hockey IQ. I also need more viewing to assess his defensive hockey IQ. Then there's shot stregth of snappers, wristers, and slappers.All in all for me I like Engstrom. I just need more viewing.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
No Roy?

Do you have Engstrom ahead of Reinbacher because you're really high on Engstrom or because you're luke warm on Reinbacher?

In my long association with hockey I have seen a lot of "Roy type" players: great hands, superior offensive vision, some size, but slow feet. Some Roy type players turn out to be Mark Stone, but most, turn out to be AHLers. Roy wasn't even prominent in the development camp. Roy was taken in the fourth round in his draft class, an accurate reflection of what the hockey world thinks of his potential.

As for Reinbacher, I think he is an excellent prospect, I'm just concerned about his straight-forward speed. In the tapes that I have seen of his play, nothing of his skating pops out that screams, superstar. He's not slow, but elite skating is not his calling card. One play/sequence during the development camp underscored my concerns in this regard. Reinbacher was supporting an offensive rush in the offensive zone when the puck was turned over and he had to turn and chase the play. Reinbacher couldn't catch the counter attacking forward. He wasn't exactly chasing Jack Eichel. He may get faster. He may not. Engstrom is already fast.

Reactions: 26Mats

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not sure Engstrom is as good of a skater as Mailloux, or that he has better hands and offensive hockey IQ. I also need more viewing to assess his defensive hockey IQ. Then there's shot stregth of snappers, wristers, and slappers.All in all for me I like Engstrom. I just need more viewing.
Engstroms hands are sublime, really. Skating wise, theyre both great. Youre basically trading off a booming shot for hockey IQ

Reactions: bopeep

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
In my long association with hockey I have seen a lot of "Roy type" players: great hands, superior offensive vision, some size, but slow feet. Some Roy type players turn out to be Mark Stone, but most, turn out to be AHLers. Roy wasn't even prominent in the development camp. Roy was taken in the fourth round in his draft class, an accurate reflection of what the hockey world thinks of his potential.

As for Reinbacher, I think he is an excellent prospect, I'm just concerned about his straight-forward speed. In the tapes that I have seen of his play, nothing of his skating pops out that screams, superstar. He's not slow, but elite skating is not his calling card. One play/sequence during the development camp underscored my concerns in this regard. Reinbacher was supporting an offensive rush in the offensive zone when the puck was turned over and he had to turn and chase the play. Reinbacher couldn't catch the counter attacking forward. He wasn't exactly chasing Jack Eichel. He may get faster. He may not. Engstrom is already fast.
Calling Reinbachers skating anything short of great is poor evaluation.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Engstroms hands are sublime, really. Skating wise, theyre both great. Youre basically trading off a booming shot for hockey IQ

- There's offensive IQ and defensive IQ. I have to see more of both for both players.

- Mailloux has more size and I think more physicality to his game. But Engstrom may develop more physicality when he adjusts to the North American ice surface.

Reactions: bopeep

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Roy wasn't even prominent in the development camp
Roy 1st mission there was not to get hurt in the middle of his summer training

That camp mean really nothing for evaluating any prospect but even more for establishisg prospect. The players that this camp count the most are those in try out ou someone under the radar that want to start the Rookie camp in a good position.

Reactions: Morgoth and Mrb1p

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Maillouxs tools are being used to talk about his place here but we completely ignore that Engstrom is just as good a skater, has size, similar skills, better hands and is actually reliable and a positive player IQ wise.
I agree and so do a lot of people. The good news is they are lefty righty but I have a sneaking suspicion we would deploy Engstrom on the right side.
We are surely going to see a major turnover on both sides in the next couple of years. As serviceable as a player like Jonathan Kovacevik has been he can only hope to be our next Kulak at best.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Roy 1st mission there was not to get hurt in the middle of his summer training

That camp mean really nothing for evaluating any prospect but even more for establishisg prospect. The players that this camp count the most are those in try out ou someone under the radar that want to start the Rookie camp in a good position.
Some players pushed hard others didn't some were in game shape others weren't. I am so looking forward to camp this year and I hope to God we keep the cream separate from the curd this time.

KFlint

Sep 27, 2010
Off topic , a comparable for Mailloux, Sheldon Souray? Just guessing, didn’t see him enough but same size and hard shot, not a defensive wizard if I remember correctly…

Voted Roy, but it’s pretty much the Beck, Roy, Engstrom and Mailloux tier here for me.

Last edited:

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I agree and so do a lot of people. The good news is they are lefty righty but I have a sneaking suspicion we would deploy Engstrom on the right side.
We are surely going to see a major turnover on both sides in the next couple of years. As serviceable as a player like Jonathan Kovacevik has been he can only hope to be our next Kulak at best.
With all do respect to Kovacevik, if he is still a top 6 defenceman on our team, we will still be awaiting our next playoff appearance. I watched too many forwards last year go around him like a subway turnstile. But I guess he’s better than Wideman.

Reactions: Rapala

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Tough decision between Engstrom/Roy/Beck. I went Engstrom since I think he has the highest chance of playing a "big" role (eg. #3D or a strong top 6er) of the three.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Wow…top 4 prospects will be defenceman

I’m also intrigued with Struble.

Fun times

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad