WJC: 2023 Germany Roster Talk

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
With the summer edition over for Team Germany let's take a look at what the team in December could look like.
I thought about a couple of different approaches, but no matter how you look at it, it is going to be a significantly weaker team than the one we just watched.

These are the guys I would probably pick right now if they are all available and in game shape (I went with 13 F and 9 D). But a lot can still change.

PosPlayerYear
GNikita Quapp
2003​
GSimon Wolf
2004​
GPhilipp Dietl
2004​
DRayan Bettahar
2004​
DNils Elten
2003​
DMarkus Freis
2003​
DNiklas Hörmann
2003​
DNiklas Hübner
2004​
DAdrian Klein
2003​
DMaxim Rausch
2003​
DEdwin Tropmann
2005​
DJulian Wäser
2003​
FSebastian Cimmerman
2003​
FRyan Del Monte
2003​
FHakon Hänelt
2003​
FLuca Hauf
2004​
FNikolaus Heigl
2003​
FThomas Heigl
2003​
FRoman Kechter
2004​
FConnor Korte
2003​
FJulian Lutz
2004​
FKevin Niedenz
2003​
FYannick Proske
2003​
FBennet Roßmy
2003​
FRoman Zap
2003​

If I had one additional spot it would go to Veit Oswald.

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Team looks solid in net and a good group of forwards for what the expectations are for Germany, but that defense is pretty anonymous. Just have to beat Austria to have a successful tournament but they have a wildcard in Kasper

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
With the summer edition over for Team Germany let's take a look at what the team in December could look like.
I thought about a couple of different approaches, but no matter how you look at it, it is going to be a significantly weaker team than the one we just watched.

These are the guys I would probably pick right now if they are all available and in game shape (I went with 13 F and 9 D). But a lot can still change.

PosPlayerYear
GNikita Quapp
2003​
GSimon Wolf
2004​
GPhilipp Dietl
2004​
DRayan Bettahar
2004​
DNils Elten
2003​
DMarkus Freis
2003​
DNiklas Hörmann
2003​
DNiklas Hübner
2004​
DAdrian Klein
2003​
DMaxim Rausch
2003​
DEdwin Tropmann
2005​
DJulian Wäser
2003​
FSebastian Cimmerman
2003​
FRyan Del Monte
2003​
FHakon Hänelt
2003​
FLuca Hauf
2004​
FNikolaus Heigl
2003​
FThomas Heigl
2003​
FRoman Kechter
2004​
FConnor Korte
2003​
FJulian Lutz
2004​
FKevin Niedenz
2003​
FYannick Proske
2003​
FBennet Roßmy
2003​
FRoman Zap
2003​

Wonderful take, as always.

Re: Goaltending
I think you're spot on. Can't imagine any other constellation at this point.

Re: Defense
I believe van der Linde is still eligible, so I'm not sure if you purposely left him our of the group of what is admittedly a very modest defensive unit?

It'll definitely be fascinating to see how Freis, Hörmann, and Rausch present themselves this fall.

And although I'd love to see a Tropmann or even Paul Mayer bring their names into the conversation, I get the feeling that the DEB tends to go with the older guys whenever possible. Can naturally change at any time.

Re: Forwards
Can't argue with your forward group, even if I can see Korte and Nap being left out of the equation, depending on fall happenings.

Oswald and maybe even M. Elias, Rollinger, Krening, and Hördler could worm their way into the discussion with noticeable falls.

And as usual, someone will come out of the woodwork to make the winter team. Almost always happens. I really thought Bicker was noticeable at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup and if Sumpf and Vinzenz find themselves contributing in the AlpsHL (not a given), that could make things interesting.

I agree though, it's a blessing that Austria is in the same group, because that's the only real path to a playoff spot this winter. And that's if Kasper and Rohrer aren't a part of this thing. Even the Czechs can bring back like 16 or 19 players, and have kids like Salé who weren't even there in this summer edition, so they're gonna be real tough to beat in group play.

1661115343587.png

Reactions: Maverick41

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Wonderful take, as always.

Re: Goaltending
I think you're spot on. Can't imagine any other constellation at this point.

Re: Defense
I believe van der Linde is still eligible, so I'm not sure if you purposely left him our of the group of what is admittedly a very modest defensive unit?

It'll definitely be fascinating to see how Freis, Hörmann, and Rausch present themselves this fall.

And although I'd love to see a Tropmann or even Paul Mayer bring their names into the conversation, I get the feeling that the DEB tends to go with the older guys whenever possible. Can naturally change at any time.

Re: Forwards
Can't argue with your forward group, even if I can see Korte and Nap being left out of the equation, depending on fall happenings.

Oswald and maybe even M. Elias, Rollinger, Krening, and Hördler could worm their way into the discussion with noticeable falls.

And as usual, someone will come out of the woodwork to make the winter team. Almost always happens. I really thought Bicker was noticeable at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup and if Sumpf and Vinzenz find themselves contributing in the AlpsHL (not a given), that could make things interesting.

I agree though, it's a blessing that Austria is in the same group, because that's the only real path to a playoff spot this winter. And that's if Kasper and Rohrer aren't a part of this thing. Even the Czechs can bring back like 16 or 19 players, and have kids like Salé who weren't even there in this summer edition, so they're gonna be real tough to beat in group play.

View attachment 578596
Thanks for pointing out that I missed van der Linde. I must have been blind, when I looked through the 2003 dmen. I would have him in instead of one of Rausch, Wäser or Freis. At least at this point he would have to be a lock for a roster spot.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Thanks for pointing out that I missed van der Linde. I must have been blind, when I looked through the 2003 dmen. I would have him in instead of one of Rausch, Wäser or Freis. At least at this point he would have to be a lock for a roster spot.

At this point.

I consider him very replaceable if more Dmen step up to the plate.

Not unthinkable that a Kauhanen or even a Hafenrichter (who completely wakes up from whatever coma he has been in) could push his way onto the team by mid-December.

In fact, let's hope that kind of thing is the case, because right now I'm not seeing anyone who can truly replace Münzenberger, Szuber, and Glötzl at this point.

Bettahar will replace Münzenberger's physicality, but these three young men above have more game in all three zones than anyone remaining. We can only hope that Klein really learned a lot this summer while a guy like Hübner does a lot of maturing this fall. He has the same agent as Tobias Ancicka, so the move to Finland wasn't really surprising, but those 10 games with Ingolstadt ended any hopes of i.e. going a college route like Münzenberger. One could see his tools at the U18, even if they didn't lead to much in tangible results.

Otherwise, like you mentioned, maybe Tropmann or another 2005er is sooo good this fall that Abstreiter will have more options.

Reactions: Maverick41

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
At this point.

I consider him very replaceable if more Dmen step up to the plate.

Not unthinkable that a Kauhanen or even a Hafenrichter (who completely wakes up from whatever coma he has been in) could push his way onto the team by mid-December.

In fact, let's hope that kind of thing is the case, because right now I'm not seeing anyone who can truly replace Münzenberger, Szuber, and Glötzl at this point.

Bettahar will replace Münzenberger's physicality, but these three young men above have more game in all three zones than anyone remaining. We can only hope that Klein really learned a lot this summer while a guy like Hübner does a lot of maturing this fall. He has the same agent as Tobias Ancicka, so the move to Finland wasn't really surprising, but those 10 games with Ingolstadt ended any hopes of i.e. going a college route like Münzenberger. One could see his tools at the U18, even if they didn't lead to much in tangible results.

Otherwise, like you mentioned, maybe Tropmann or another 2005er is sooo good this fall that Abstreiter will have more options.

The defense is definitely a problem. There are a lot of possible options, but unfortunately not because so many players are so good, but because almost none are.
Honestly the only ones I would have as average to above average are Klein, Bettahar and Hübner (but if he struggles in Finland his stock could drop), but as of right now, I have van der Linde and Elten as the next ones I would hand a spot to, after that it becomes a total crapshoot, some candidates including and beyond of the ones I listed in the OP are in my opinion:

2003:
Philipp Bidoul
Markus Freis
Niklas Hörmann
Sandro Mayr
Maxim Rausch
Felix Ribnitzky
Moritz Serikow
Julian Wäser
Marius Winkelmann
Kai Zernikel

2004:
Leo Hafenrichter
Jesse Kauhanen
Moritz Köttstorfer
Phillip Sinn
Jakob Weber

2005:
Edwin Tropmann
Paul Mayer
Lua Niehus

There are several candidates who will likely play most of their season in DEL2 this season
But even that list is by no means comprehensive (I have another 10-15 names of players that could possibly play themselves onto the roster)

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The defense is definitely a problem. There are a lot of possible options, but unfortunately not because so many players are so good, but because almost none are.
Honestly the only ones I would have as average to above average are Klein, Bettahar and Hübner (but if he struggles in Finland his stock could drop), but as of right now, I have van der Linde and Elten as the next ones I would hand a spot to, after that it becomes a total crapshoot, some candidates including and beyond of the ones I listed in the OP are in my opinion:

2003:
Philipp Bidoul
Markus Freis
Niklas Hörmann
Sandro Mayr
Maxim Rausch
Felix Ribnitzky
Moritz Serikow
Julian Wäser
Marius Winkelmann
Kai Zernikel

2004:
Leo Hafenrichter
Jesse Kauhanen
Moritz Köttstorfer
Phillip Sinn
Jakob Weber

2005:
Edwin Tropmann
Paul Mayer
Lua Niehus

There are several candidates who will likely play most of their season in DEL2 this season
But even that list is by no means comprehensive (I have another 10-15 names of players that could possibly play themselves onto the roster)

Man oh man, I love your lists.

Let's hope a few of these names step up to the plate!

I've bolded the guys I personally see as being the most likely to do so, but the proof will definitely be in the pudding.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
The German team is in Antigonish this morning. Not sure if that is where they are having their camp. It may well be.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

PosPlayerYear
GNikita Quapp
2003​
GSimon Wolf
2004​
GPhilipp Dietl
2004​
DRayan Bettahar
2004​
DNils Elten
2003​
DMarkus Freis
2003​
DNiklas Hörmann
2003​
DNiklas Hübner
2004​
DAdrian Klein
2003​
DMaxim Rausch
2003​
DEdwin Tropmann
2005​
DJulian Wäser
2003​
FSebastian Cimmerman
2003​
FRyan Del Monte
2003​
FHakon Hänelt
2003​
FLuca Hauf
2004​
FNikolaus Heigl
2003​
FThomas Heigl
2003​
FRoman Kechter
2004​
FConnor Korte
2003​
FJulian Lutz
2004​
FKevin Niedenz
2003​
FYannick Proske
2003​
FBennet Roßmy
2003​
FRoman Zap
2003​

Just wanted to revisit this as, well, you were basically hitting at a 80+% rate.

At this time, I do see the forward candidates on the current roster being more worthy than any of those above who are missing (namely Zap and Niedenz).

From a "prospects I'd like to see standpoint", I'd much rather see Tropmann and Hübner than a few of the guys currently under consideration on that blueline.

Also, Dietl would have been nice as one of the three goalies, but Quapp and Wold are at the top of that list, so the motivation for 3rd string candidates is often another for the coaches.

Last edited:

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Just wanted to revisit this as, well, you were basically hitting at a 80+% rate.

At this time, I do see the forward candidates on the current roster being more worthy than any of those who are missing here although from a "prospects I'd like to see standpoint", I'd much rather see Tropmann and Hübner than a few of the guys currently under consideration. Also, Dietl would have been nice as one of the three goalies, but Quapp and Wold are at the top of that list, so the motivation for 3rd string candidates is often another for the coaches.

I guess the only "surprise" for me among the forwards is the absence of Connor Korte, who appears to be having a decent season in Switzerland (U20), but then again, it's not like difference between him and any of the others is that big.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I guess the only "surprise" for me among the forwards is the absence of Connor Korte, who appears to be having a decent season in Switzerland (U20), but then again, it's not like difference between him and any of the others is that big.

Yep, it's funny. Corte was in Texas with the U18 and I don't think they've had him back since.

Almost makes you wonder if there was something about his make-up, character, or even agent that has turned the program off to him?

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Yep, it's funny. Corte was in Texas with the U18 and I don't think they've had him back since.

Almost makes you wonder if there was something about his make-up, character, or even agent that has turned the program off to him?
The agent is one of the biggest names in Germany and has tons of other prospects who are represented.

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
How’s this team looking this year? It’s a shame Covid and NHL\AHL really took away from seeing Peterka/Stutzle/Seider at this tourney (I know Seider aged out after 2021 but it would’ve been nice to see what Germany could do with all of them).

Reactions: Czechboy

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
How’s this team looking this year? It’s a shame Covid and NHL\AHL really took away from seeing Peterka/Stutzle/Seider at this tourney (I know Seider aged out after 2021 but it would’ve been nice to see what Germany could do with all of them).
Team isn’t great. Will be relying on the ‘04‘s more offensively talented player such as Hauf, Lutz and Kechner to have great tournaments because the ‘03 crop is quite underwhelming aside from maybe Rossmy.

Big game is December 30th against Austria. We win that game, we don’t play for Relegation. The goal for this year is to stay in the top division. Anything more is gravy.

Reactions: novisor

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
With all due respect, Austria seems terrible in comparison to Germany, back to finishing 5th in the D1A days in terms of roster quality.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Final roster announced. Hänelt misses the tournament due to injury (of course).

Nr.PositionNachnameVornameVerein 2022/23
1GKBabulisRihardsEC Bad Nauheim
30GKQuappNikitaEisbären Berlin / Lausitzer Füchse
29GKWolfSimonRed Bull Hockey Juniors
2DBettaharRayanEisbären Berlin
22DBidoulPhilippESV Kaufbeuren
5DEltenNilsIserlohn Roosters / Herner EV
28DKleinAdrianStraubing Tigers / EV Landshut
4DSinnPhillipRB Hockey Juniors / EHC Red Bull München
12Dvan der LindeLeonEHC Red Bull München / ESV Kaufbeuren
27DWäserJulianLausitzer Füchse / Crocodiles Hamburg
14FBaderQuirinRed Bull Hockey Juniors
21FDel MonteRyanLondon Knights
17FHaufLucaEdmonton Oil Kings
23FHeiglNikolausRed Bull Hockey Juniors
13FHeiglThomasRed Bull Hockey Juniors
19FHördlerEricEisbären Berlin / Lausitzer Füchse
24FKechterRomanNürnberg Ice Tigers
11FKreningPhilippEHC Red Bull München / Red Bull Hockey Juniors
18FLutzJulianEHC Red Bull München
20FOswaldVeitEHC Red Bull München / SC Riessersee
10FProskeYannickIserlohn Roosters
15FRoßmyBennetEisbären Berlin / Lausitzer Füchse
25Fvan CalsterRobinKölner EC / EC Bad Nauheim

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Final roster announced. Hänelt misses the tournament due to injury (of course).

Nr.PositionNachnameVornameVerein 2022/23
1GKBabulisRihardsEC Bad Nauheim
30GKQuappNikitaEisbären Berlin / Lausitzer Füchse
29GKWolfSimonRed Bull Hockey Juniors
2DBettaharRayanEisbären Berlin
22DBidoulPhilippESV Kaufbeuren
5DEltenNilsIserlohn Roosters / Herner EV
28DKleinAdrianStraubing Tigers / EV Landshut
4DSinnPhillipRB Hockey Juniors / EHC Red Bull München
12Dvan der LindeLeonEHC Red Bull München / ESV Kaufbeuren
27DWäserJulianLausitzer Füchse / Crocodiles Hamburg
14FBaderQuirinRed Bull Hockey Juniors
21FDel MonteRyanLondon Knights
17FHaufLucaEdmonton Oil Kings
23FHeiglNikolausRed Bull Hockey Juniors
13FHeiglThomasRed Bull Hockey Juniors
19FHördlerEricEisbären Berlin / Lausitzer Füchse
24FKechterRomanNürnberg Ice Tigers
11FKreningPhilippEHC Red Bull München / Red Bull Hockey Juniors
18FLutzJulianEHC Red Bull München
20FOswaldVeitEHC Red Bull München / SC Riessersee
10FProskeYannickIserlohn Roosters
15FRoßmyBennetEisbären Berlin / Lausitzer Füchse
25Fvan CalsterRobinKölner EC / EC Bad Nauheim
Who else was let go? I heard they are allowing teams to keep 2 injury replacement spots available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad