NBA 2023 Free Agent Frenzy

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think so. This way they can use his salary in a trade. If he had opted out I don't think they would have had the cap space to do anything significant. Now, at least in theory, they could get Paul George. Or a package of lesser players who could still have meaningful roles given the Sixers lack of depth.
They would’ve had like $12m or something

Reactions: Jack Straw

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
sixers sure love signing ex-lakers centers lol

dwight, drummond, harrell, DAJ, and now bamba

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
A couple of minor moves today:

- Atlanta traded Guard TyTy Wasington and Forwards Usman Garuba and Rudy Gay plus a future 2nd round pick to OKC for Point Guard Patty Mills. Atlanta saves about $4.5 million with this deal while OKC now has 35 draft picks over the next 5 years including 15 1st round picks.

- 76ers restricted free agent Forward Paul Reed Jr. signed a 3 year $23 million offer sheet with Utah. Philadelphia has until 11:59 pm Eastern to match the offer and retain his rights.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
The Sixers matched Utah’s offer sheet for Reed, so he’s staying in Philly. Only the first year is guaranteed, years 2 & 3 become guaranteed if the Sixers make the 2nd round of the playoffs this coming season. I would assume that will happen but won’t be too disappointed if it doesn’t because I don’t think he’s worth it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Sixers matched Utah’s offer sheet for Reed, so he’s staying in Philly. Only the first year is guaranteed, years 2 & 3 become guaranteed if the Sixers make the 2nd round of the playoffs this coming season. I would assume that will happen but won’t be too disappointed if it doesn’t because I don’t think he’s worth it.
It seems like he won’t be hard to trade if they have to. Regardless, they’ve had trouble at backup center so I think it’s important to keep the first guy they’ve found that can do the job. And if Danny Ainge wanted him, that’s good enough for me.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
It seems like he won’t be hard to trade if they have to. Regardless, they’ve had trouble at backup center so I think it’s important to keep the first guy they’ve found that can do the job. And if Danny Ainge wanted him, that’s good enough for me.
He has full veto over trades for one year, and he can't be traded to Utah during that year.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He has full veto over trades for one year, and he can't be traded to Utah during that year.
If the Sixers were wanting to move him, I’d have to think it’s a situation where he would want to be moved anyways. Was never concerned about the no-trade. Is he going to veto a trade with a team where he might get a chance to start? Someone will still pay him if he contract voids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad