2023 FIBA World Cup Thread

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Gotta say Luka needs to stop whining after every play, this is what happens when the NBA refs are too soft to toss guys for yelling 100 times at them during a game. FIBA refs aren’t like that. All game Luka was on the refs snd he finally got tossed. Really wish the league would come down harder on guys just crying after every possession

Basketball refereeing is so focused on reputation that it's not surprising.

It's a superstar-oriented league - that's what they market, and they officiate accordingly.

The international referees don't care quite as much about the player's standing.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Really great to see this kind of success for the program, but boy has it been a slog. A long time coming. People talked up the program and its chances for more than a decade with guys going early in the first and then having an entire career without the program getting all its ducks in a row. Especially happy for Olynyk who was part of it all.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I agree. But he is way too good to left out. I don't care about his dunk or the scoring ability he can bring to the team but he is an excellent defender that can switch from perimeter and inside.

On the plus side, the Golden State experience appears to have mellowed him out a bit.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Canada has the best player in the FIBA World Cup and that was true before they sent Luka packing. What a time to be a Canadian basketball fan. SGA is incredible.

Props to Brooks too. He's one of the biggest winners of this tournament (along with my guy Nikola Jovic!). Dude was a laughing stock after the playoffs and brought it all on himself with his idiotic antics, zero accountability, and terrible play. Now he's showing what he can do when he focuses on his play and why he was once considered one of the key pieces with Memphis. The Rockets should be thrilled with what they're seeing right now. He couldn't help himself today but thankfully it didn't end up hurting them.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Canada has the best player in the FIBA World Cup and that was true before they sent Luka packing. What a time to be a Canadian basketball fan. SGA is incredible.

Props to Brooks too. He's one of the biggest winners of this tournament (along with my guy Nikola Jovic!). Dude was a laughing stock after the playoffs and brought it all on himself with his idiotic antics, zero accountability, and terrible play. Now he's showing what he can do when he focuses on his play and why he was once considered one of the key pieces with Memphis. The Rockets should be thrilled with what they're seeing right now. He couldn't help himself today but thankfully it didn't end up hurting them.
Brooks has personally opened my eyes on how great of an overall player he is. Dude was completely taken as a scapegoat for Memphis. And now Houston has a major candidate for comeback player of the year. Would not be shocked if he takes this experience and balls out for Houston. Embrace the hate, embrace being the villain Dillon. It’s doing you hella good!! He’s such a fundamentally strong defensive player and then you realize he can not only knock down shots but post a guy up and make some moves around the basket.

The way ESPN and the league talked about this guy you’d think he was this talentless bum lol

Last edited:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

when-i-try-and-act-interested-in-class-smug.gif

Elvis P

U aint nothin but a hound dog cryin all the time
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I'm pretending Dirk came out of retirement.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I am loving this. No matter what happens on Sunday, I get a German medal for my birthday on Sunday.
Obviously, I am hoping for the gold, but I won't be too broken hearted if it's "only" silver. Too bad these guys arrived too late for Dirk to be a part of the team as a player, but I am sure he is just happy for the guys and proud of them.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Canada vs. USA......for bronze. There couldn't be a more perfect example of being careful what you wish for.
Canada’s come a long way in basketball. It wasn’t that long ago when only 3 Canadian NBA players. One who was born to parents who were neither Canadian and in South Africa, and the other who would barely consider himself Canadian (Rick Fox). I can’t believe it we had to wait until the 2010s to see Canada’s significant impact in basketball. Was basketball just not a thing in Canada before the Raptors existed?

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Why the f*** would you put in some overrated college player!! Edey cost this team big time.

Before all the Americans come in here and say this is our B team. Sure… but we’re also missing like 3-4 guys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad