Prospect Info: 2023 Ducks Prospect Rankings #9

2023 Ducks Prospect Rankings #9

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Moore is likely to play 10 years in the NHL (maybe not with the Ducks though), all the forwards under consideration for #9 may not play 10 games.
What's the hype on Moore? I haven't really followed him. He's going back to Harvard for his Senior year this year right?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
What's the hype on Moore? I haven't really followed him. He's going back to Harvard for his Senior year this year right?
I believe (not positive though) that he has 2 years of eligibility left in college due to covid. Hopefully he signs with the Ducks. IMO he is almost a sure bet for the NHL...think Pesce or Slavin type.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I believe (not positive though) that he has 2 years of eligibility left in college due to covid. Hopefully he signs with the Ducks. IMO he is almost a sure bet for the NHL...think Pesce or Slavin type.
That would be great for us. I'd even entertain a short term filler this year to keep a spot open for someone close to NHL ready. Of course part of me thinks why not just acquire Pesce :/

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
That would be great for us. I'd even entertain a short term filler this year to keep a spot open for someone close to NHL ready. Of course part of me thinks why not just acquire Pesce :/
well, Moore is unlikely to be in Anaheim (if he signs here) before the 25/26 or 26/27 season so you are looking at more than just a one year filler.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
well, Moore is unlikely to be in Anaheim (if he signs here) before the 25/26 or 26/27 season so you are looking at more than just a one year filler.
Interesting, I'd assumed he'd be subject to waivers before then but it appears we'll get 3 years of protection. How far is he realistically away? He's already at wat D+3 going into D+4? Seems like he should be nearing the cusp.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Interesting, I'd assumed he'd be subject to waivers before then but it appears we'll get 3 years of protection. How far is he realistically away? He's already at wat D+3 going into D+4? Seems like he should be nearing the cusp.
Purely my opinion but I'd guess one more year in college then he turns pro. Maybe gets a few games at the end of 23/24 as an inducement to sign. I would expect that he'll need at least a year of seasoning in the AHL. He's still only 21. So if all goes well, he would be potentially ready for the NHL in 25/26. Anything sooner than that is gravy. But he has all the tools...size, skating, physical (although not overly so), right-handed, and good defensively. Hopefully with Thrun graduated, Moore can improve his offensive numbers. That's the only area I see where he could make significant improvement (other than getting stronger as he matures).

Reactions: DavidBL and Kalv

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Moore finished his sophomore season with Harvard, despite being three years removed from his draft year. Lots of high school draftees go to the USHL for a season and then go to the NCAA. Technically, we have a five year window to sign Moore if Moore plays all four years at Harvard. CapFriendly supports this on their reserve list page and the latest Moore can be signed is Augh 15, 2025.

Moore Career
D+0, 2019-20: US High School​
D+1, 2020-21: USHL​
D+2, 2021-22: Harvard​
D+3, 2022-23: Harvard​
D+4, 2023-24: Harvard​

Last year, Moore finished 2nd in scoring D (19 points, Thrun was first with 31 pts) and tied for first in +/- for a D (tied with Thrun with a +20) on his team). Thrun and Siedem won't be with Harvard next year as Thrun signed with the NHL Sharks and Siedem transferred to Notre Dame. That means Moore will be a top pairing D. Moore was announced as a captain for the 2023-24 season. (note: that Captaincy article identifies Moore as a sophomore for actual evidence.)

A goal for Moore to reach would be to try to reach 30 points for the season and be tops in blocked shots for the 2023-24 season. He's usually in the top-4 in blocked shots for the team.

The speed of Moore was on display at this year's Dev camp. If he can reach those goals for 2023-24 season, then Verbeek should press on getting him signed after his junior season is over with.

Madden drafting defensemen is such an amazing feat.

Rd 2 LD Lacombe (high school draftee)​
Rd 4 LD Thrun (asked to be traded; signed with Sharks)​

Rd 1 RD Drysdale​
Rd 3 RD Moore (high school draftee)​

Rd 2 LD Zellweger​
Rd 3 LD Hinds​

Rd 1 LD Mintyukov​
Rd 2 RD Warren​
Rd 2 RD Luneau​

We're hyped about all of our prospects (not Thrun, of course) and only two of them are first round picks!

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Could go a number of ways:

Moore prob highest floor of remaining guys

Pasta may have the highest upside
Hvidston the sneakiest
Myatovic I find very interesting but don’t think he’ll go for a bit(could see him jump up pretty far next off season tho)

Clang going to have a big opportunity in San Diego this year

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Could go a number of ways:

Moore prob highest floor of remaining guys

Pasta may have the highest upside
Hvidston the sneakiest
Myatovic I find very interesting but don’t think he’ll go for a bit(could see him jump up pretty far next off season tho)

Clang going to have a big opportunity in San Diego this year

I think Helleson should be in that conversation for highest floor. Small sample but in his NHL games, he looked like an NHL Dman.

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
Pastujov still has a legit top-line upside, but as of right now, I think he will turn into a bonafide middle-six player. Hvidston does not seem to have that much upside, but is pretty much a lock for an NHL player down the road and should easily become at least a bottom-six secondary scoring winger.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Pastujov still has a legit top-line upside, but as of right now, I think he will turn into a bonafide middle-six player. Hvidston does not seem to have that much upside, but is pretty much a lock for an NHL player down the road and should easily become at least a bottom-six secondary scoring winger.
Pastujov has to make the NHL as a top 6 or he doesn't make it at all. He has lots of upside but I would say he has the lowest odds of reaching that upside unless he skating improves significantly.

IMO, Moore will have the better career and be more impactful and that's why I think he should be ranked at this spot (in fact, I'd have him at 7 or 8).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad