Prospect Info: 2023 Ducks Prospect Rankings #9

2023 Ducks Prospect Rankings #9

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
It's time for our annual Ducks prospect rankings. Each poll will run for 48 hours except in the case of a clear landslide. I will go to the top 25 and include a final poll where you can pick 5 honorable mentions. Please tell me who you want me to add in the replies. In the ninth poll, I am voting for Nico Myatovicr.

As always the list will define prospects as hockeysfuture does: NHL Prospect Criteria - Hockey's Future.

2023 Ducks Prospect Rankings:

1. C - Leo Carlsson (2023 draftee)
2. D - Pavel Mintyukov (no change)
3. D - Olen Zellweger (no change)
4. G - Lukas Dostal (no change)
5. D - Tristan Luneau (+9)
6. D - Jackson LaCombe (+4)
7. D - Tyson Hinds (+13)
8. C - Nathan Gaucher (-1)

Our graduates and departures are:

Mason McTavish
Urho Vaakanainen
Henry Thrun
Simon Benoit
Axel Andersson
Sean Tschigerl
Hunter Drew
Thimo Nickl
Olle Eriksson Ek
Bryce Kindopp
Max Golod
Ethan Bowen​

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
This is where it starts getting good. I'm taking Ian Moore here. He's made big strides defensively at harvard and is very mobile. Think he can be a nice #4.

Helleson is right there and I think his NHL debut late last season was better than anyone could have hoped for, but I think Moore has a bit more offensive upside.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Hvidston and Myatovic past two seasons kinda mirror one another. Difference is that Myatovic did his on a stacked team this past season.

HvidstonvsMyatovic
PlayerSeasonAgeLeagueGamesGAPtsPPG+/-
HvidstonD-116SMAAHL
7​
6​
6​
12​
1.71​
n/a
D+017WHL
58​
13​
19​
32​
0.55​
-5​
D+118WHL
59​
21​
44​
65​
1.10​
15​
MyatovicD-117WHL
67​
4​
24​
28​
0.42​
11​
D+018WHL
68​
30​
30​
60​
0.88​
43​

going with Hvidston.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Pasta's upside wins out here. 1.6 ppg last year he is out best shot at a top 6 forward in the near future.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Kind of absurd that 13 prospects have votes currently and for most, if not all, of them I can understand why the individual is voting as such. That is a great example of why this pool is so deep.

Last edited:

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
I went with Ian Moore as well. I know that it SHOULDN'T sway my judgement and I should solely focus on the quality of the prospect, but unlike a guy like Gaucher, it's hard for me to vote Pastujov (and by the same token, Perreault) because the organization hasn't proven they can develop an offense-first show pony [EDIT: that wasn't picked in the top 10, see Zegras] in years (an on an unrelated note, I think the concerns about Pasta's skating are legitimate).

GunnarStahl

Oct 13, 2020
Hvidston and Myatovic past two seasons kinda mirror one another. Difference is that Myatovic did his on a stacked team this past season.

HvidstonvsMyatovic
PlayerSeasonAgeLeagueGamesGAPtsPPG+/-
HvidstonD-116SMAAHL
7​
6​
6​
12​
1.71​
n/a
D+017WHL
58​
13​
19​
32​
0.55​
-5​
D+118WHL
59​
21​
44​
65​
1.10​
15​
MyatovicD-117WHL
67​
4​
24​
28​
0.42​
11​
D+018WHL
68​
30​
30​
60​
0.88​
43​

going with Hvidston.
Myatovic’s team depth oftentimes worked contrary to his individual production though. He spent most his time on the third line with little to no PP time. Which contrasts Hvidston who got 1st line minutes and PP time with some pretty decent line mates. I left this in his thread shortly after he was drafted.

Will say, its impressive that he managed to tie for second in goal scoring on a super team while mostly relegated to the third line with little to no PP time due to team star power. Perhaps with less blocking his way next year he reaches another level. He also managed to outscore Danielson, heidt, Ziemmer, Yager and others at even strength points per 60.

In terms of total even strength points they rank

Heidt 54 pts - 68 games played
Ziemmer 53 pts - 68 games played
Myatovic 52 pts - 68 games played
Yager 44 pts - 67 games played
Danielson 40 pts - 68 games played

surprising considering Myatovic likely was getting significantly less opportunity and prime usage. Perhaps there is more than meets the eye here.
Unfortunately the WHL website isn’t currently working it seems, but tomorrow I’ll see if I can find Hvidstons even strength production because comparing the two in that regard could be interesting.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Of the players left, I think Pastujov's upside is hard to ignore. Myatovic and Hvidston both had strong seasons respectively and are clear risers. They seem like clear locks for the next three on my list

Players such as Perreault and Tracey need to rebound this season to justify higher a higher ranking. Others like Nesterenko, Regenda, Groulx, Moore, and Clang need more time to develop and prove what they can be. Warren has to prove he can stay healthy but might have the clearest upside. All have legitimate arguments to be next IMO.

Guys such as Terrance, Clara, Colangelo, Alexander, Sidorov, Pitre, etc... are too far away to rank higher. More personal preference than anything else.

Reactions: MMC

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Hvidston is only 3 months (or 2.5) older than Myatovic. But I agree that having to play on the 3rd line because of a team depth (what was his PP usage?) is not doing Myatovic any favors. I'm still picking Hvid now, but Myatovic could be one of my next ones

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
This one was very tough, there are a lot of guys that have very valid arguments for them here, and I'm kind of surprised that Pasta is winning by as much as he is. That's who I voted for as I like his upside along with Perreault's the most of guys that are left, but Perreault is really going to need a big season next year whereas Pasta trended up this year.

Reactions: Arthuros

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Myatovic’s team depth oftentimes worked contrary to his individual production though. He spent most his time on the third line with little to no PP time. Which contrasts Hvidston who got 1st line minutes and PP time with some pretty decent line mates. I left this in his thread shortly after he was drafted.

Unfortunately the WHL website isn’t currently working it seems, but tomorrow I’ll see if I can find Hvidstons even strength production because comparing the two in that regard could be interesting.

Anything stemming off of chl.ca (whl, ohl, and qmjhl) is down. I did find Flohockey.tv for stats. Click on their names to go to their team stats site.

2022-23
PlayerGamesGAPtsppg.PP GoalsPPAPPP.SHGSHASHP.ESGESAESP
Hvidston
59​
21​
44​
65​
1.10​
8​
14​
22​
3​
1​
4​
10​
29​
39​
Myatovic
68​
30​
30​
60​
0.88​
5​
3​
8​
1​
2​
3​
24​
25​
49​

Swift Current has only two forwards who scored over a ppg last year, which includes Hvidston. While Seattle had eight forwards who scored over a ppg. Granted, Seattle added talent to their playoff push in C Lambert, RW Guenther, and C Dach. Myatovic's ES scoring on the third line shouldn't have been a detriment, but a boon with so much talent in the top-9.

ES Points per game
Hvidston: 0.66 ES ppg​
Myatovic: 0.72 ES ppg​

Yup, Myatovic's ES production didn't drop playing on the third line on a stacked team that won the WHL championship. With only one top offensive line for Swift Current, it's easier to stop one offensive line than three offensive lines for Seattle. Hvidston's team didn't make the playoffs by 3 points. If Hvidston were healthy enough to play an additional five games, who knows if they would have made the playoffs.

What is surprising is Hvidston's PP production. I didn't know he was that productive because I only thought of him as a shutdown forward. You're correct about Myatovic not having a lot of PP time, especially after adding Guenther, Lambert, and Dach. Hvidston took great advantage of his opportunity.

I'm happy to have both in the pipeline as both are defensive-minded forwards who can score. Hvidston is barely three months older than Myatovic, but we nabbed Hvidston in the fifth round!

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Myatovic reminds me allot of killorn from what management has been saying about him. Gets dirty pucks for the top skill guys
We could really use that in our top 6. Kunitz used to do that for us. Maybe even McDonald. It's what we asked the LW who ever it was to do for Hetz and Perry. Imo it's why we saw Rakell struggle up there. It's part of why I like that Killorn signing. I'd say Rico does it to some extent but I'm not sure it's his forte really.

Reactions: TopShelfWaterBottle

GunnarStahl

Oct 13, 2020
Anything stemming off of chl.ca (whl, ohl, and qmjhl) is down. I did find Flohockey.tv for stats. Click on their names to go to their team stats site.

2022-23
PlayerGamesGAPtsppg.PP GoalsPPAPPP.SHGSHASHP.ESGESAESP
Hvidston
59​
21​
44​
65​
1.10​
8​
14​
22​
3​
1​
4​
10​
29​
39​
Myatovic
68​
30​
30​
60​
0.88​
5​
3​
8​
1​
2​
3​
24​
25​
49​

Swift Current has only two forwards who scored over a ppg last year, which includes Hvidston. While Seattle had eight forwards who scored over a ppg. Granted, Seattle added talent to their playoff push in C Lambert, RW Guenther, and C Dach. Myatovic's ES scoring on the third line shouldn't have been a detriment, but a boon with so much talent in the top-9.

ES Points per game
Hvidston: 0.66 ES ppg​
Myatovic: 0.72 ES ppg​

Yup, Myatovic's ES production didn't drop playing on the third line on a stacked team that won the WHL championship. With only one top offensive line for Swift Current, it's easier to stop one offensive line than three offensive lines for Seattle. Hvidston's team didn't make the playoffs by 3 points. If Hvidston were healthy enough to play an additional five games, who knows if they would have made the playoffs.

What is surprising is Hvidston's PP production. I didn't know he was that productive because I only thought of him as a shutdown forward. You're correct about Myatovic not having a lot of PP time, especially after adding Guenther, Lambert, and Dach. Hvidston took great advantage of his opportunity.

I'm happy to have both in the pipeline as both are defensive-minded forwards who can score. Hvidston is barely three months older than Myatovic, but we nabbed Hvidston in the fifth round!
Hvidston is definitely the bigger steal, I see them as same teir players with Myatovic nudging out my vote currently. Next year may be interesting as they could be in rather comparable situations, as SC will take a step forward Hvidston will stay in their top line it seems and as Seattle takes a good step back Myatovic will be expected to do the heavy lifting in all scenarios.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
We could really use that in our top 6. Kunitz used to do that for us. Maybe even McDonald. It's what we asked the LW who ever it was to do for Hetz and Perry. Imo it's why we saw Rakell struggle up there. It's part of why I like that Killorn signing. I'd say Rico does it to some extent but I'm not sure it's his forte really.

Rakell isn't a grinder, he's a dangler. As a dangler on a line where there is a grinder, then Rakell is a boon. If you're expecting Rakell to be a grinder, then that's like trying to put a square peg into a round hole.

Rakell as a dangler on a proper line:
2016-17, Anaheim: 33g +18a = 51 pts (Playoff team)​
2017-18, Anaheim: 34g + 35a = 69 pts (Playoff team)​
2022-23, Pittsburg: 28g + 32a = 60 pts (Playoff team)​

Rico isn't a grinder, but he's savvy on puck possession.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad