2023 Draft watch

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
can we drop behind ducks ,arizona or hawks , it will be tough battle.

i dont want 23-26 position ,and get 4 year development third line forward.. :(..

want bedard or fantilli,

Carlsson is already playing in the SHL and already has more points than Raymond did in 15 less games. He could definitely play in the NHL next year.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Since our lotto luck sucks. Will be cool to see start looking at the prospects outside Bedard, Fantilli and Mitchkov. Benson, Carlsson, and Sale come to mind but that's only because I read about them earlier.

Salva Mea

Apr 4, 2018
can we drop behind ducks ,arizona or hawks , it will be tough battle. :(..

i dont want 23-26 position ,and get 4 year development third line forward.. :(..

want bedard or fantilli, its time
Carlsson is already playing in the SHL and already has more points than Raymond did in 15 less games. He could definitely play in the NHL next year.

i remeber when i watched d,,, dahlen , ahl , perron and tobias lindberg and other looks like prospects :d..

i dont want more suffer..

Reactions: Dan Patrick

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
Will never forgive the Sens for going 9-2-1 to finish the 2021 season. One extra loss and they get to pick between Clarke and Guenther at 8. A couple of extra losses and we're looking at Edvinsson. If they finished the year .500 and went 6-5-1 or something we'd have Luke Hughes in the pipeline. Instead we've got Tyler Boucher...

I remember following the teams competing with us and LA was in a position where they played Colorado 4 times and just needed a win to finish higher than us. They managed to lose all 4 in regulation... I remember watching one those games and being real disappointed. The part that drove me insane was that most of the fanbase was going crazy celebrating and acting as if we were pushing for the playoffs next year.

Exact same thing happened last year where they finished 7-2-1 and tanked their draft position. Thank god we Fleeced Chicago but if the trade doesn't happen the hot streak would have cost us Jiricek.

The point I'm trying to make is that this team is elite at tanking their draft position and with the talent on this roster we won't finish anywhere near the superstar caliber prospects. Our playoff hopes were cooked in mid November but we won't finish with a solid draft pick, just embarassing.

The Athletic preseason predictions featured a "The worst case" segment. Here was Ottawa's: Ottawa doesn’t take a big step as expected as DeBrincat falters without Kane and Giroux shows his age. Sanderson shows some rookie warts and none of Tkachuk, Norris, Batherson or Stützle show meaningful progression. Ottawa never enters the playoff race in a meaningful way and finishes with 79 points.

The Giroux, Sanderson, Stu, Tkachuk, Batherson bit is off but the rest of this blurb is painfully accurate. The Author's model literally has us projected for 80.6 points right now...

Point I'm trying to make is don't get too caught up in the Bedard/Fantilli hype because deep down we all know this team can't properly tank and it's not going to happen.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Will never forgive the Sens for going 9-2-1 to finish the 2021 season. One extra loss and they get to pick between Clarke and Guenther at 8. A couple of extra losses and we're looking at Edvinsson. If they finished the year .500 and went 6-5-1 or something we'd have Luke Hughes in the pipeline. Instead we've got Tyler Boucher...

I remember following the teams competing with us and LA was in a position where they played Colorado 4 times and just needed a win to finish higher than us. They managed to lose all 4 in regulation... I remember watching one those games and being real disappointed. The part that drove me insane was that most of the fanbase was going crazy celebrating and acting as if we were pushing for the playoffs next year.

Exact same thing happened last year where they finished 7-2-1 and tanked their draft position. Thank god we Fleeced Chicago but if the trade doesn't happen the hot streak would have cost us Jiricek.

The point I'm trying to make is that this team is elite at tanking their draft position and with the talent on this roster we won't finish anywhere near the superstar caliber prospects. Our playoff hopes were cooked in mid November but we won't finish with a solid draft pick, just embarassing.

The Athletic preseason predictions featured a "The worst case" segment. Here was Ottawa's: Ottawa doesn’t take a big step as expected as DeBrincat falters without Kane and Giroux shows his age. Sanderson shows some rookie warts and none of Tkachuk, Norris, Batherson or Stützle show meaningful progression. Ottawa never enters the playoff race in a meaningful way and finishes with 79 points.

The Giroux, Sanderson, Stu, Tkachuk, Batherson bit is off but the rest of this blurb is painfully accurate. The Author's model literally has us projected for 80.6 points right now...

Point I'm trying to make is don't get too caught up in the Bedard/Fantilli hype because deep down we all know this team can't properly tank and it's not going to happen.

Yeah I remember getting into an argument with some generally well knowledgeable people on here about whether it was good for the franchise to have won the last game of the year against the Leafs. Ended up resulting in Boucher instead of Clarke. Massive loss there.

This team has always had trouble staying at the bottom of the league after the playoffs are already far out of reach. A lot of that has to do with Bryan Murray, who never had the stomach to tank. Always made acquisitions when we were in the basement for some reason - Campoli & Comrie in 2009, Anderson in 2011, Hemsky in 2014, Phaneuf in 2016 - all of them helped the team win games down the stretch and we ended up with worse draft picks as a result.

Dorion did something similar with the Hamonic acquisition last year. He's not a good defenseman and we're seeing that this year but he was actually really solid in his time with us last season. Don't know if it made enough of a difference to hurt the draft pick like with the other acquisitions, but it was dumb timing nonetheless.

I expect something similar to happen this year. Team is already finished but Dorion will make a short-sighted D acquisition to try to turn things around (and save his job) and all it will do is help the team finish 10th instead of 8th.

Reactions: SquidNasty

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
The 3 times we actually committed to staying at the bottom:
We dropped 2 spots in the lotto(2018)
Our pick belonged to Colorado(2019)
We dropped 3 spots(2020)

Granted Brady and Sanderson have been great, but it's the principle, damn it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad