Prospect Info: 2023 Draft #70: C Jonathan Castanga

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
What do you know….?
He was drafted by London, but I highly doubt he goes there. Obviously loves school and there's nothing in London that will compare to Cornell, it's a really good school. Most of the Knights prospects go to a specific hockey school, totally different.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
We had like what 12 picks. If three play in the NHL we should consider ourselves lucky. I'm more worried about our first round picks developing like we hope. Anything else is a bonus.
It’s all about winning Jakey…. As you constantly point out. Let’s intend to win at every juncture then shall we? Reality / history dictate that only a small percentage will make it, but that doesn’t mean we should only concentrate on higher picks, what the hell kind of horeshit organization would do that?

Reactions: Summer Rose

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
It's so much fun watching and listening to these kids. They have worked all their life for this moment. It would be nice if they would all make the NHL. At least they will have memories for the rest of their life.
Yeah, the ones that don’t make it have painful memories, it’s awesome.
I personally like the guys that want to reflect with long winded stories of their missing the show by “that much.”

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
It’s all about winning Jakey…. As you constantly point out. Let’s intend to win at every juncture then shall we? Reality / history dictate that only a small percentage will make it, but that doesn’t mean we should only concentrate on higher picks, what the hell kind of horeshit organization would do that?

Edmonton?

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Low body fat is probably overrated for an NHLer.

ziNJ9ia.png

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
Im not sure how good his V02 is but he gets his criticism for not trying to maximize his own skill set with the physical commitment as well. To say he’s in peak fitness shape for his sport would be untrue. Not ragging on Phil, I loved him as a prospect coming up. He coasted on his elite skating and strong lower body strength. Didn’t want to commit to the hard areas of the game so he shifted his game from a shooter to a passer. Still ended up with 3 cups despite not tying his hardest his whole career. Toronto ruined him imo. At least he wasn’t as bad as Brett Hull. That was an embarrassment.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Im not sure how good his V02 is but he gets his criticism for not trying to maximize his own skill set with the physical commitment as well. To say he’s in peak fitness shape for his sport would be untrue. Not ragging on Phil, I loved him as a prospect coming up. He coasted on his elite skating and strong lower body strength. Didn’t want to commit to the hard areas of the game so he shifted his game from a shooter to a passer. Still ended up with 3 cups despite not tying his hardest his whole career. Toronto ruined him imo. At least he wasn’t as bad as Brett Hull. That was an embarrassment.
1286 GP, 992 pts. over 16 yrs. and 3 SC's. 99% of NHL players would love that kind of record and stats. Phil Kessel was not by any means my favorite but the proof is in the pudding. My hat is off to Phil Kessel and his accomplishments, even though he wasn't a perfect player like you wanted.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
1286 GP, 992 pts. over 16 yrs. and 3 SC's. 99% of NHL players would love that kind of record and stats. Phil Kessel was not by any means my favorite but the proof is in the pudding. My hat is off to Phil Kessel and his accomplishments, even though he wasn't a perfect player like you wanted.
Phil’s success has nothing to do with what I wanted for him. He underachieved despite those stats you mentioned. To use them as an argument for his success, disregards what he could of been in the first place in terms of ceiling. Wish Phil nothing but the best and this wasn’t meant to bash him in any way.

Reactions: Prarievarg

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Phil’s success has nothing to do with what I wanted for him. He underachieved despite those stats you mentioned. To use them as an argument for his success, disregards what he could of been in the first place in terms of ceiling. Wish Phil nothing but the best and this wasn’t meant to bash him in any way.
Underachieved? Who says so? I believe your evaluation of Phil is greater than what he really is or what he could have achieved.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Might your standards be just a mite too high? This is what I meant about not passing the eye candy test. Had he 6 pack abs, he might have achieved Gretzky stats.

Phil has had an exceptional career.

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
Might your standards be just a mite too high? This is what I meant about not passing the eye candy test. Had he 6 pack abs, he might have achieved Gretzky stats.

Phil has had an exceptional career.
I think it’s true he had a great career as compared to the array of all NHLers over the last ~20 years.
I do think the last 2 or 3 seasons Phil was just awful defensively and this was a drawback when he was on the ice. I mean when you are noticed as defensively bad as compared to your Coyote teammates….
And why did Vegas scratch him for nearly all the playoff games last year?
So, good start and middle, tough finish for Phil wrt to individual play.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Since we are way off-topic, I'll continue the trend. Doaner could have cracked 1,000 pts had he been willing to move around in a limited role. Gotta respect family first.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think it’s true he had a great career as compared to the array of all NHLers over the last ~20 years.
I do think the last 2 or 3 seasons Phil was just awful defensively and this was a drawback when he was on the ice. I mean when you are noticed as defensively bad as compared to your Coyote teammates….
And why did Vegas scratch him for nearly all the playoff games last year?
So, good start and middle, tough finish for Phil wrt to individual play.
This is true for most NHL players that stay a year, two or three to many.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad