GDT: 2023 Caps NHL Draft Thread

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond

Wheeler's rankings. I think you more or less see that after six it opens up quite a bit. My back-half of the top ten would differ but it's a matter of taste and also realistically what may best complement this core.

For me after that top six it's Moore pretty easily next from a ceiling/tools standpoint. Then a chunk of Barlow/Leonard/Sale/Reinbacher but YMMV. Cristal and Dvorsky do probably belong as strong considerations at least. Cristal would be a swing for the fences, though you wonder how long they'd wait on his strength/defense coming along. Dvorsky's skating is pretty far from ideal but he does project to be an NHL center and perhaps a pretty balanced two-way one at that. I don't like him as much as Kasper last season but he is probably the most intriguing center otherwise.
I’m gonna go ahead and pencil Dvorsky in for Montreal given where they are likely to pick and how they’re building team Slovakia over there. Reunite a Slaf-Dvorsky-Mesar line. They’ll draft another buddy for Slaf if it means he may succeed.

As usual I like the USNDP guys. Moore and Leonard appeal to me at pick 10 or 11.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I'm always going to have height bias and it is well known to try and subtract two inches but all those 5'11 forwards in the middle of the first round make me very dubious till the combine.

Reactions: Marshall

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Have to wonder about Detroit now sliding below the Caps in the standings after deciding to sell. Wise of them to do so and potentially wind up with two top 15 picks.

Reactions: koalabear9301

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
There are quite a few Euros and WHLers in that range, though. Dvorsky, Sale, Reinbacher, Yager, Danielson, Cristal. Whereas Barlow and Leonard would be a bit against type, though they definitely need more goal-scorers in the mix so can't rule them out either.

Still, I'd lean to Dvorsky, Sale and Reinbacher as most fitting their general type. Europeans with upside, strong hockey IQ and the maturity to play against relatively high competition vs. men at a young age.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
There are quite a few Euros and WHLers in that range, though. Dvorsky, Sale, Reinbacher, Yager, Danielson, Cristal. Whereas Barlow and Leonard would be a bit against type, though they definitely need more goal-scorers in the mix so can't rule them out either.

Still, I'd lean to Dvorsky, Sale and Reinbacher as most fitting their general type. Europeans with upside, strong hockey IQ and the maturity to play against relatively high competition vs. men at a young age.
Hey Langway how about a run down on the college FA this year?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
4+1 for Bedard in a comeback from down 0-3 to 5-3. Confirmed: he can hockey.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Could be a late riser given his tools. Top ten probably a bit rich but a few spots later and I might entertain it. He may be every bit as good a long-term prospect as Danielson/Yager, even if a LW. With so much congestion in that 10-14 area of the standings I'd wager the Caps finish in that range rather than earlier. It could happen. D injuries and lack of PKers down the stretch could keep them down. I doubt Ottawa finishes lower in the standings at least but FLA/DET/CGY could. And not sure I see a late season heater from STL/PHI either.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

Some funky rankings and comparables from Pronman. IINM Pronman has bristled at comparables in the past and it's easy to understand why given some of the stylistic curiosities he makes here.
Yea, comparables are often a dodgy evaluation method, with dubious value. I remember CMM being compared to Matthews.

He has Bedard at 5’ 9.5” 185 - that’s even smaller than I’ve read elsewhere. In any event, I hope we can get lucky and move up into the top 4. Maybe Bettman will want to give us Michkov, after he gives VAN Bedard ;)

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Some funky rankings and comparables from Pronman. IINM Pronman has bristled at comparables in the past and it's easy to understand why given some of the stylistic curiosities he makes here.
One thing that troubled me in some other ranking as the lack of size being a factor so in the top 10 Pronman rankings make a bit more sense to me.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

A lot to like here. Being the draft's most complete defenseman in a light draft for them you wonder how high he may go. Vancouver would seem to be a decent fit long-term alongside Hughes.

I might think about putting him roughly equal to Barlow around 10 at present, though there seems to be a decent chance he goes earlier. I'd still lean Leonard & Dvorsky at 8/9 as the strongest realistic contrasting fits to the existing core. And then, if need be, Danielson/Sale rounding out what should be their floor range. In a supposedly strong draft those later two would only be what I'd consider average value for that range. Decent but not quite two players I'd run up to the podium for either.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
The time to tank is now. I’ve got the tingle that if they can drop down to 7 or 8 they might just get lucky.

I think this years lottery is going to be wacky.

Barring a trade up for Michkov I'm probably all-in on Moore sliding to their pick. It probably won't happen but he's the long-term center option that could in theory be within range. Sort of a Larkin type. Otherwise Barlow, Sale, Leonard or Yager would be fine. Simashev, But, Heidt, Ritchie, Gulyayev, Dragicevic or Ziemmer with the Boston pick.
I keep seeing Mocks with them taking Leonard.

Trading up for Michkov (if necessary) is something I’m all for.

Assuming the Caps don’t win a Top 2 selection, I’m hoping doubts about his size will get him to slide a few spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad