News: 2023 Arbitration Thread

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Seems like a good way to tarnish a relationship by Anaheim.
Yeah, dunno what they're thinking... especially when Terry's production the last 2 years on a bargain contract has been outstanding, and the Ducks are sitting below the Cap floor as it is. If I was Terry I'd be walking any 2-year award right out the door as a UFA.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Can the arbitrator use Gus’s contract in determining Swayman’s?
Short answer, no

Evidence allowed in the arbitration hearing includes: "The compensation of any Player(s) who is alleged to be comparable to the party Player" and the "Comparable Exhibit ... shall promptly be updated to reflect the following: (A) the issuance of a salary arbitration decision; (B) verified settlement of any salary arbitration proceeding; and (C) verified recent signings of any other Player." These updates are made daily leading up to the arbitration

So, if Gus signed before the hearing, yes, but it's also written in that "the Salary Arbitrator shall not consider a Player(s) to be comparable to the party Player unless a party to the salary arbitration has contended that the Player(s) is comparable", so Gus could only be used as an example if he was on the Comparable Exhibit and one of the parties (Boston or the NHLPA representing Swayman) chose to introduce Gus from that list into the hearing. As Gus didn't have a contract at the time of the hearing, he wouldn't have been on the Comparable Exhibit, would've not have been admitted as a comparable, and the arbiter therefore cannot use his signing as part of their decision.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
If you look at these two numbers and think the player’s ask is the one that’s out of line…I don‘t know what to tell you.
so when the team puts the 1 year deal Jesper Bratt signed ($5.45mm) last summer (after a better season than the one TT just had), what short term contract is the agent coming back with to justify $8mm for a butter soft winger?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
so when the team puts the 1 year deal Jesper Bratt signed ($5.45mm) last summer (after a better season than the one TT just had), what short term contract is the agent coming back with to justify $8mm for a butter soft winger?
Laine, $7.5m in summer of 2021 after scoring 24pts in 46 games (87 in his previous 114, or 63 per 82).

Only one I could find. FWIW I am not arguing either way, just thought you posed an interesting question.

I actually think the exact midpoint is pretty fair on a 1yr deal - $6.25mil. I think both sides are being reasonable... but theres a reason you dont often see gaps this big and its because players like Terry usually have their deal resolved pre-hearing

Reactions: MXD

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Laine, $7.5m in summer of 2021 after scoring 24pts in 46 games (87 in his previous 114, or 63 per 82).

Only one I could find. FWIW I am not arguing either way, just thought you posed an interesting question.

I actually think the exact midpoint is pretty fair on a 1yr deal - $6.25mil. I think both sides are being reasonable... but theres a reason you dont often see gaps this big and its because players like Terry usually have their deal resolved pre-hearing

Not sure what my guess for Terry would be. Oddly I think the Swayman gap is larger.

Terry: $8m, ANA $4.5m. Difference is $3.5m, but only 78%.

Swayman: $4.8m, BOS $2m. Difference is $2.8m and 140%.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022

pretty sure that was his qualifying offer...or close to it as he was coming off a 2 year deal at $6.75mm/y

edit: it was indeed his QO.

Reactions: mouser

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022

At the end of the day, mid point on a one year deal doesn't men squat to Anaheim as they're a cap floor team destined to pick in the top 10 in next years draft; or everyone else, it just pushes salaries up. That said, Terry doesn't deserve more than what Bratt signed for a year ago ($5.45)....IMO.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yeah, dunno what they're thinking... especially when Terry's production the last 2 years on a bargain contract has been outstanding, and the Ducks are sitting below the Cap floor as it is. If I was Terry I'd be walking any 2-year award right out the door as a UFA.
Terry filed for arbitration, so Anaheim can pick a one year term.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
At the end of the day, mid point on a one year deal doesn't men squat to Anaheim as they're a cap floor team destined to pick in the top 10 in next years draft; or everyone else, it just pushes salaries up. That said, Terry doesn't deserve more than what Bratt signed for a year ago ($5.45)....IMO.
They'll be well above the $61,700,000 cap floor once they sign Zegras, Terry and Drysdale. That should add about $16m, and they're at $56m now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad